Electrical Lighting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Electrical Lighting

I'm having problems w/ my headlight sockets, they keep on burning out. I have the Sylvanias on there and the socket keeps on melting until the light goes dim. I am sure I got the correct model for my car. So one socket melts and it doesn't blackout completely but it dims and only one of them. So I change the socket and problem is fixed for about 2 or 3 days then the other one dims out and sure enought the socket melts. I've changed socket a total of about 5 times in the last year. Something is definitely wrong and I'd like to avoid paying $60/hr when I may be able to fix it myself. Any ideas? Maybe a fuse or short of some type? How do I diagnose and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance. I'll provide pics to show exactly what I'm talking about this evening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to crazeflier07
Re: Electrical Lighting

Dont know if this makes sense but for higher halogen bulbs or higher output bulbs you are going to have higher heat which melted your sockets as so. Try to see if they have any sort of socket replacement parts that will work with the higher output and heat you will experience with your bulbs. I know with HID kits there is a whole assembly that you need to hook up to get it working right so maybe there is something similiar for this. Also be careful that your bulbs arent too strong for they will cause your headlights to yellow up and the clear to peel on you and basically make them look like crap. Hope this helps!
~Jon~

Sinister Six
1998 3.8L V6
Done So Far:
~CAI, True dual exhaust, UDPs, MGW Shifter, H&R springs, Stage 1 & 2 supension kit, performance rotors & pads, steel braided lines, 1 inch rear spacers, A.R. Rebel 17x9s with BFG rubber! :thumbs2:
crazeflier07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29

It's not a whole lot of help. I'm suprised more people don't have advice for me. I thought maybe it could be a short or fuse or something like that and I was hoping for instructions on how to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

i've never heard of a socket melting. provide some pictures like you said you would do in your original post. maybe then something might jog our minds.
In the end though it may be cheaper to have it diagnosed by a professional then to keep buying sockets. $60/hour is cheap compared to other places.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

only times I've ever seen a socket melting would be when incorrect bulbs were being used.. if it was shorted/getting too much current the bulbs would blow unless they were the improper bulb for the socket in which case the socket would melt..

just my $.02...
Old 10-28-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

you have to make sure the wattage for the socket is the same as the bulb. if not, find a higher temp/watt socket. that's my $.02. and with mine and monte's you have 4 cents. a little more advice and you can pay for that 60/hr diag.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang