Junk Throw out bearing!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Angry Junk Throw out bearing!!!

ok so i just put a new clutch kit and cable on the V6 and the ToB is squealing and rattling like crazy. hasn't even been maybe 2 weeks since the swap.. i can even feel it in the pedal if i rest my food on the clutch.. anyway im gonna change it and i really don't want to buy another auto zone ToB... thinking about just calling ford but was wondering if anyone knew of any good sites that i could just order from cause i know fords price is gonna be outrageous..

Also can i get away with just dropping the tranny to change the ToB or will i have to drop the bell-housing as well?
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Junk Throw out bearing!!!

I always recommend going back with an OEM TOB. I still have my spec TOB sitting on the mantle from my spec 3+ clutch that's in the cobra. Went and bought an OEM TOB and haven't had a single issue.

They really aren't very expensive ~$15 if i remember.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i do still have my old ToB.. the reason for the clutch change was a pilot bearing.. everything else looked find but changed it all since i was down there.. old ToB has about 97k on it and its like 10 years old lol.. probably not to good of an idea to stick it back in..

where did you buy it? from ford?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I still have my spec on the shelf too. My tob just took a **** as well. I knew I should have changed it a month ago when I installed a new friction plate. Just ordered another stocker.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Just go to a local dealership, they should have one in stock.

Cheap part, PITA to change.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Yup. I did. $23 plus tax.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, but ford's tob is the exact one autozone sells you, mine was singing at 120k miles and when I got a replacement it was the exact one autozone gave me. Ford really fk'd up on the design of our tob's. I have about 20k on the new one; my clutch looked good and the flywheel look brand new, you could still see the factory marks and it had absolutely no wear so I use the flywheel and I got the kit form o'reilys, I’m sure that the tob will take a chit before the clutch/flywheel.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

My 01 v6 went through 4 throwout bearings in a year lol but as said go oem dont use aftermarket junk ones. Some company makes a HD version but cant remember where it was.

Also you can perhaps replace the aluminum TOB sleeve that the TOB slides on with a steel one~ might help if its scared ETC which would cause early squeeks to start up.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
My 01 v6 went through 4 throwout bearings in a year lol but as said go oem dont use aftermarket junk ones. Some company makes a HD version but cant remember where it was.

I did a two day search on the web and never found a HD tob. all the tob's for our cars look the same, we need a tob that is sealed and there are none available. Like I said prior I went with the o'reilys lifetime kit so I don't have to buy another one which is enviable until we get lucky and a miracle tob is manufactured.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

ive seen ford racing ones on the net for like almost 50 bucks.. would this be a little better than a stocker? and anyone know about the bellhouseing? do i have to drop it to change the ToB or can i fit it in and out through the hole where the tranny mounts up?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
ive seen ford racing ones on the net for like almost 50 bucks.. would this be a little better than a stocker? and anyone know about the bellhouseing? do i have to drop it to change the ToB or can i fit it in and out through the hole where the tranny mounts up?
You must disconnect the transmission from the motor, if you can slide it back just enough to slip the old off and the new one on BUT, while your there do you not think it would be wise to replace the clutch, turn the pressure plate, replace the pilot bearing etc?
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

No, you dont have to pull the bell housing. Its a pain in the arse, but you can get away with it. Just take your time and have someone help you, hopefully with a small arm and hand to fit through the hole with the shift fork in to make sure you are lined up.
shipwreck_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
You must disconnect the transmission from the motor, if you can slide it back just enough to slip the old off and the new one on BUT, while your there do you not think it would be wise to replace the clutch, turn the pressure plate, replace the pilot bearing etc?
ive allready replaced all of that less than 2k miles ago im not made of money lol
Old 06-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
ive allready replaced all of that less than 2k miles ago im not made of money lol
I wouldn't expect you to if you did it 2k ago, that's fk'up you have to do the tob again. I have about 20k on mine but I'm guessing I'll have to redo it within 100k. I bought 3 tob's and the best one IMO was from advance auto which I installed and returned the other 2. The one from AA was built with heavier steel then the factory Ford tob or what came with the Lifetime O'reilly Auto Parts kit.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck_98 View Post
No, you dont have to pull the bell housing. Its a pain in the arse, but you can get away with it. Just take your time and have someone help you, hopefully with a small arm and hand to fit through the hole with the shift fork in to make sure you are lined up.
no way! good luck trying. I'm trying to picture the tob squeezing between the input shaft and the pilot bearing.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
no way! good luck trying. I'm trying to picture the tob squeezing between the input shaft and the pilot bearing.
It wasn't that bad. I did it, the hardest part was getting my hand out of the way when my buddy was shoving the tranny back on to the bell housing. I got a bit squished. But hey, to each his own. The only way you can do it is by getting in there and do it. Wow, that sounded rather cheezy.
shipwreck_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck_98 View Post
It wasn't that bad. I did it, the hardest part was getting my hand out of the way when my buddy was shoving the tranny back on to the bell housing. I got a bit squished. But hey, to each his own. The only way you can do it is by getting in there and do it. Wow, that sounded rather cheezy.
lol, good job my friend!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang