Clunking sound coming from rear?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Clunking sound coming from rear??

I just got my car back from the dealership today. I had my tranny leak checked and I was having a loud clunking noise coming from the rear seats area. They of course told me there was no leak found. They found, just found residue. So they put some die in my tranny and let it set I guess and did a re-check and said "all under car dry". Whatever

I have this knocking coming from the rear. I had the suspension checked by Dave/fazm. Tight as can be.They are saying its the exhaust. I get the clunking when I mash the throttle after a certain rpm range. I'll be at around 3500 - 4000 rpm and if I lay in/out of the throttle real quick it go's CLUNK! Or if I go to down shift and get around a car and nail it she'll clunk too? It will even do it when I go over speed bumps sometimes. I got under my car as far as I could and the passenger side pipe is not moving at all its in there good. By the way I have duals. The driver side pipe is a little janky though and I can move it around with my hand but I couldn't get it to some what replicate the sound I hear. I don't have 200 some odd HP & TQ to jolt the car like I do driving though. Has anyone else had similar problems? i don't know if the dealership just looked at it and said it was my exhaust. They offered to fixed it but it of course would not be under warrenty. I said I would just try and take it back to the muffler shop. Even if I took it back to the muffler shop are they even going to know if its the exhaust for sure? I asked the guy to ask the mechanic where it was hitting exactly but he acted like he didn't hear me ask and I never got an answer.

Do you think It could be the gears?? It sounds like it could also be coming from that area too. I just have no clue. What would gears do if they were going bad?

Anyone with similar experiences please share.

ricklmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Clunking sound coming from rear??

I had the same problem when they welded my duals up, not as much room on the drivers side and it was just barely touching when I hit a bump or went over a speed bump. The stock suspension does have quite a lot of movement. They finally found where it would hit and repositioned the pipe an inch to one side and have not heard it since. If they used rubber isolators as my shop did they do flex quite a bit and can move just enough under power to clunk on something. Mine was just hitting the axel housing.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

My passenger side pipe was made by the local muffler shop when they put my stock GT mufflers on. I recently had Mac Mufflers hung on there, the passenger side muffler is sort of close to some sort of metal pipe, the Macs are more squared off than the stock mufflers were, I think this caused the problem, the shop that put them on said they couldn't fix the problem unless they made a new passenger side pipe, and recommended I take her back to the first shop to get it fixed. I haven 't gone over there yet, but I heard the guy that did my work there was not there any more, I guess I could get them to fix it, just havent' gotten around to it. Doesn't cause a thump or bump, rather an intermident rattle, which drives me nuts when it does it.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2006, 06:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Fazm found it was just a bolt the upper control arm. He got about 1 full turn on it and it stopped!

ricklmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

my car does it and its driveshaft slack
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Couldn't it be the rear end?

1997 Cobra Convertible 1 of 3 made with Crystal White paint, white top, and Saddle cloth interior.

Rollinthundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

Spector, careful with that, when a driveshaft does that it usually means a universal joint is about to go out on ya.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang