5 speed frustration - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
5 speed frustration

Im the proud new owner of a 2006 Mustang with the T5 5 speed. I absolutely LOVE the car. Loaded aside from the Shaker 1000 system the car is perfect in every way. However, I am beginning to regret buying a 5 speed. Ive owned four 5 speed Thunderbird SC's and never once was the M5R2 trans this difficult, cumbersome, or unperformance-like. Redline shifting into third is impossible without grinding synchros and the shifter is becoming annoyingly cumbersome... what gives... Is this the common complaint of the T5? Tell me theres SOMETHING I can do.

PS- For such a heavy clutch pedal there isnt much clutch grip either. Feels like Im driving a truck.... SIGH! But otherwise I love my Stang!
1quikV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: 5 speed frustration

Get a short throw setup for your T5.. I have yet to have a problem with my 92 grinding into third while flatlining it, it goes right in with no issues.. and I've got way more than its rated tq behind it. if it still has issues,.. try making sure you have the clutch fully disengaged before shifting (not trying to say driver error, BUT its worth checking to be sure), if it still does it then... there's something wrong.. t5s are smoooooth shifting transmissions..
Old 10-26-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well Ive noticed that with this clutch you have to give it a second to let the synchros mesh and Im sorry but thats not acceptable for a performance car. Maybe in a truck where slow shifting is the norm. But I shouldnt have to wait for synchro's. And yes, having owned many many manuals I know to fully depress the clutch 2: Maybe it needs to be looked at. Its not smooth yet its new...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

as I said.. didn't say you didn't know how to drive.. but it was worth mention.. that's one of the biggest issues I came across at work..

I can't recall if the 05+s came with cable clutch or hydraulic clutch.. if its hydraulic you could have an issue with the master or slave..
Old 10-26-2006, 11:37 PM   #5

Region: Illinois

I know how you feel. I just bought a 2007. I have the same prob. getting into third is a pain. Im going to throw a short shifter on it this week at my shop and see how it works.
torched07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

First off BUY A SHIFTER NOW it makes a world of difference. I would look and see if MGWltd.com has one yet which I dont think they do. Not sure who has the best for the 05+ but I would look into it good before I purchased one and do NOT buy some POS cheap shifter from some unknown company.

Secondly the 05+ mustangs do not have a stiff clutch they are extremly soft its sad really lol (I guess I am just used to a stiff clutch)

Its a wonderful fact that at times ford doesnt adjust the clutch petal slack good since you have a hydrolic clutch i would see what all can be done to adjust the amount of petal you can push in to give you a bit more engagment. (unless you have a clutch cable then its easy... i cant remember what the v6's have)

My T-5 in my 2001 mustang was great, shifted amazing. Are you shifting into 3rd very fast or just shifting quick but not slaming it?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

When Im just doin a WOT shift to third it wont go into the gate at all... Ive never had this problem. as for the clutch its not the stiffest but ive had less calf muscle ache from the 88 GT I had than this car. Of course the V6s get crap in comparison to the GT's anyway, they always have. I wonder if B&M makes one for the 05+
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to XxViSiOnxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxViSiOnxX

u know what i have the same problem down to the T, these t5's came with Hydrolic Clutch so Speed Shifting is pretty much down the toilet unless you do some mods maybe go with 3.73-4.10 gears that might help but with the damn clutch being hydrolic im not sure if that will cure the problem i cant see why ford threw hydrolic into the v6 but not on the Gt's and yea these cars are not good for traffic my left leg is prolly more buff than my right because of how hard it is to engage it and flatlining into 3rd and grinding ha cant tell ya how many times ive had that problem so the way i fixed it is simply not doing it until i get more into on how to fix this problem..!!
Old 10-27-2006, 11:12 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

Hurst is the one I have seen advertized and talked about for the 05+
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1990 Thunderbird SC as a beater and thats a hydraulic clutch. That has by far been the best shifting car Ive ever driven. Easy to find a gear, silky smooth, short throws, and nothing like busting your knuckles on the dashboard going to third (because the MN12 wasn't designed for a 5 speed so the dash is WAY too close to the shifter lmao). Even at 145k miles that M5R2 still impresses me.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636

If I had a problem shifting my 5 speed, and I dont' btw, I would talk to my dealer's service dept. about it since I am sure your ride is under warranty.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

well in my case i have taken my car back about 7 times now,

3 for a gas tank failure
2 for coolant resevior leakage
2 for the shifting issue

Now gas tank has been fixed because they replaced the damn thing haha
Coolant resevior is fixed because they also replaced the damn thing ^^^
Shifting still "SUCKS" the said they cannot do anything because there unable to verify the problem im having shifting into 3rd, well i told them are you driving granny style and shifting because if you are then sure it will shift perfectly, but i said this is a muscle car put some pedal into it and then shift into 3rd and lets see if that shyt changes like it does when you granny shift but they cannot do that because technically there not suppose to be driven hard ""yada yada yada"" well theres my delema they wont do anything unless it wont shift while granny driving and yes its under warranty and warranty wont allow them to just take down the tranny and look at it if there unable to find the source of the problem **Cough BS Cough**
Old 10-28-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxViSiOnxX View Post
well in my case i have taken my car back about 7 times now,

3 for a gas tank failure
2 for coolant resevior leakage
2 for the shifting issue

Now gas tank has been fixed because they replaced the damn thing haha
Coolant resevior is fixed because they also replaced the damn thing ^^^
Shifting still "SUCKS" the said they cannot do anything because there unable to verify the problem im having shifting into 3rd, well i told them are you driving granny style and shifting because if you are then sure it will shift perfectly, but i said this is a muscle car put some pedal into it and then shift into 3rd and lets see if that shyt changes like it does when you granny shift but they cannot do that because technically there not suppose to be driven hard ""yada yada yada"" well theres my delema they wont do anything unless it wont shift while granny driving and yes its under warranty and warranty wont allow them to just take down the tranny and look at it if there unable to find the source of the problem **Cough BS Cough**

technically.. they can drive it however they want to/need to to reproduce the issue the customer states EXCEPT they cannot exceed the speed limit or break any laws doing it...
Old 10-29-2006, 12:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

true, but u and i know they will not go threw the trouble to actually replicate what ive been threw to try and fix it, they will go by OEM standards and if it passes that then according to the dealer etc..its running Fine! thats what ive heard from them wayyyy to many times and now i will fix this myself ive had a few people's input that have shared the same problem and tryed something and so far so good but dealers will not replicate what causes the problem if it surpasses there specifications..
Old 10-29-2006, 08:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Good transmission>****ty shifter

Im convinced they put that shifter on the V6 because they figured most people who were going to do performance driving were going to buy the GT, not the V6. So they put this rubbery numb-feeling ****ty shifter on top of a good transmission...

"Hello, Hurst? Yeah, send me a goddammed SHIFTER!"
Old 10-29-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Haha i wouldnt doubt thats what they did in order to make us want the GT but theres always a fix to something and i will find it
Old 10-29-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If my insurance hadn't quoted me almost $4000/yr and if i could have gotten a GT and still kept a sub $400 car payment then I would have gotten one. Given I was a v6 hater until I drove the new 4.0L. But being 21 and having a few smudges on my record the V6 made sense. And if i wanna go fast Ive always got a 13 second Honda. GT's dont like seeing civic taillights lol
Built 13.1:1 compression B18C1
Old 10-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

4000 a year for a GT is extremly sad.. unless you have a horrid driving record.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

No just being 21 and a few tickets. Oh well. As soon as they see GT they jack things up i guess. I know I would lol
Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

well ya being 21 is mainly why insurance is so high...my brother has a Honda SI V-Tec and Alone His Isurance just for the Car Is $2500 a Year and with his age 20 its $5000 a year so we did some mix and matching and put him on another car so my insurance payment is much lower haha
Old 10-30-2006, 04:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

before I turned 25 (19-24 range insurance) the insurance on my 03 cobra was like 100 a month~ full coverage with 250 deductable... I would check around.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Its not V-tec..... I keep schooling people about this.... its VTEC... one word, no space, all caps. lol And insurance companies dont like to see Si on an insurance quote either. B16A's are stout powerhouses and they charge him that because Si's are targets for thieves just like my GSR (it was stolen and recovered twice).

I pay 141/mo right now on the stang, 88/mo on my Prelude, and 105/mo on the Si. All in all its not a bad thing and its peace of mind as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

well i pay total for my V6 Stang, 06 350Z, 06 Civic SI, 72 Impala $371 a Month Threw AAA Insurance not bad i dont think
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 AM   #24

im paying 4,000 a`year on mine. Im 19, 2 tickets for going faster than 40 over. So i got killed on insurance
Old 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeh I got boned for my record as well. But i do love my wheels. Gotta have em.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #26

well back to the main topic, i fixed my third gear problem. All i did was slam it in third at wot and got it to go in and now its not a promlem. I think there was a safety or something but whatever it works now.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

its a remote shifter assembly and its too rubbery feeling... the Hurst shifter is an awesome improvement.. TRUST ME

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang