This just occured to me. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to greenflash00
This just occured to me.

Not sure if it would really even be worth my time, buuuutt. Ive always seen those porting articles about doing your upper and lower intakes, but i never really considered doing much of it. But no a days i have a good bit of time on my hands, most of which i use for sleeping lol, but i could hand port the upper and lower, get a halfshafted tb, and match the mouth of the intake to the tb...that "might" make say 10rwhp, and all id really have to pay for would be the new tb and gaskets. Should i do it or should i just save my time b/c its not gonna be much of a difference? BTW i this is not a newbie question. lol im mainly asking for comments from people who have done this same general thing. Im not new i promise.
Gt takeoff exhaust with Flowtech Warlock mufflers, Mac CAI, ASP UDP, Flex Phenolic Spacers, 17 by 9 Cobra R's, 275/40s all around, FMS C-Springs, Tokico shocks and struts, FMS T-loc, FMS 4.10 gears, fordchip, 3000 stall PI tq converter, B&M Supercooler, and some various appearance stuff.
greenflash00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
do it.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to MusclesFromBrussels
talk to brandon the porting is an art form. U know i wanted to do it i say go for it!
MusclesFromBrussels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2003, 04:22 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

its worth it. you wont need to buy new gaskets. the stock ones are pretty rigid and should be able to be reused (as long as they dont break when taking the intakes off).

its a rather easy thing to do. it takes about a day to do total w/ the porting if you go straight thru. its you take your time, it could take you a couple days. (took me on average for split ports about 12hrs of porting to get good results)

if you focus on gasket matching the lower intake to the gaskets, and then porting the upper some, you can easily see 15rwhp. and the best part about it, is that its all above 3000rpms. its where the low-end dies out on our cars. it really helps in the 1/4 after the 1/8mi marker.

half-shafted TBs are nothing great. maybe 1/2hp at the crank. just open the plenum up to accomadate the bore of the stock TB and that will be enough.

http://www.v6stangs.com/how_to/performance/port_polish/ here's an article i did on it. should help some
Old 10-11-2003, 10:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to greenflash00
Brandon you wouldnt happen to have any pics of a 99+ ported lower would you? The upper sounds easy but i wanna make sure i dont overport those tapers in the lower.
Gt takeoff exhaust with Flowtech Warlock mufflers, Mac CAI, ASP UDP, Flex Phenolic Spacers, 17 by 9 Cobra R's, 275/40s all around, FMS C-Springs, Tokico shocks and struts, FMS T-loc, FMS 4.10 gears, fordchip, 3000 stall PI tq converter, B&M Supercooler, and some various appearance stuff.
greenflash00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:43 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

i dont im sorry. but just so you know, its really hard to over port them. the runners will fight you if you try to go too wide. the natural taper is there. just when you have the gaskets off to begin with, take a sharpie, and outline the runners so you know how much to take off. that way you know the top and the bottom. the inside isnt that long, and youll be able to know how much to go based on the entrance and exit.

its very hard to overport the lower. just remember that the lower is the one that is in need of the porting. the split port upper flows very well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang