auto question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:59 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher
auto question

I just wanted to know if I take my car out of overdrive and drop( from a stop) in to first then in to second will that hurt my tranny? I seem to get alot of power by doing this when i race and I only do it when Im racing. thanks for any input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2003, 12:20 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

no, if you put it in 1st and shift to 2nd and then D, youre not hurting your tranny.

its not advised because the computer can shift faster than you can, and it knows much better points to shift. taking OD off does nothing though. it doesnt widen your gear ratios or anything. it just removes the 4th gear. that is all. dont expect better times w/ OD off vs. OD on. wont happen.

just get a shift kit, keep it in D and floor it. youll get a better tranny response that way
Old 10-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
exacty what Monkey said if you want to improve shift points in a auto get a shift kit and after more mods like rear end gear change then get a fordchip

Old 10-15-2003, 12:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to greenflash00
And if you really wanna up the fun..get a converter. That will make your first gear a beast. Not to mention you car will rev up INSANELY fast. When i rev my car now driving along, ill thow it in neutral and give it two taps, and bam 5k+rpm. I love it!
Gt takeoff exhaust with Flowtech Warlock mufflers, Mac CAI, ASP UDP, Flex Phenolic Spacers, 17 by 9 Cobra R's, 275/40s all around, FMS C-Springs, Tokico shocks and struts, FMS T-loc, FMS 4.10 gears, fordchip, 3000 stall PI tq converter, B&M Supercooler, and some various appearance stuff.
greenflash00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to DropTop_Stang
how much is a tq converter?
DropTop_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 12:22 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

500 to 650 smackers
Old 10-15-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

jesus, what does it do exactly? Install? I'm not sure what my next mod will be, but I'm thinking something big, but not supercharger big, you know?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Let Paul explain what and how it feels since he has a PI 3000 stall
Old 10-15-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, i have a PI 2600 installed.

www.howstuffworks.com gives a great detailed explanation of what it does. its basically a clutch for an automatic tranny. Plus it multiplies the torque transfer from the engine to the wheels at a higher rate. this means you get more hp to the wheels. aftermarket ones are typically lighter too meaning you can rev a little quicker.

install is: drop the tranny, drain all 13.9qts, take old TC off, put new on, fill with new fluid. of course its more complex than that, but if youre not a tranny guy, i strongly suggest paying $200 for someone to install one.

a good TC can drop ETs by as much as 0.5sec off your ET.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

when getting a new tc installed, should the flywheel also be upgraded? Also, would this be a nice addition right after I put some 4.10's on my car?
Old 10-15-2003, 08:56 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

first, autos dont have flywheels... only manuals. autos have flexplates. there is no aftermarket flexplate, so dont worry about it.

yes, this would be great after 4.10s
Old 10-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

A tq converter is something I have been wanting to do for a while. Which one should I go with? I was thinking a Pi 3000 but i dont know. and what does the 3000 stall mean?sorry I have not been able to reply. Thanks

Quote:
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
Old 10-16-2003, 09:13 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

the 3000 is the lock-up stall speed. www.howstuffworks.com then search for torque converter. understand how it works first.

depending on your mods you have now (by your sig), 3000 will be too high for you currently
Old 10-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
How Much power can a Stock auto handle?? If i plan to upgrade should i got 5 speed or get a new auto tranny
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:13 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

well, a 5spd wont handle anymore than the auto.

the stock auto is supposed to hold up to 700tq. However, i would keep some in reserve just in case. All you would need is a built tranny, and that would only be like $800 for a good build, but could cost upto $1600 or so.

the stock auto will hold up for a while. just depends upon how often you race it. just get a tranny cooler and that will help it
Old 10-18-2003, 12:04 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

thanks everyone for the help

Quote:
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
Old 10-23-2003, 04:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

okay, i read the howstuffworks, what is the difference between 1500 and 2800 stall speeds? the article didn't explain it.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:36 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

the speed at which the converter locks up

basically with a 1500 stall, you can powerbrake to like 1200rpms before the wheels spin. with a 2800 stall, you can power brake to about 2200rpms before the wheels spin.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:43 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
basically its like when you WHOMP on the gas at a stop the rpm's rise to about 1000 b4 it fully locks up and engages and then it burns major rubber. b4 i got my tc i couldnt even do a stand alone burnout, you know just hitting the gas from a stop and spinning them. now i do it all the time. and 1-2 shift chirps even when youre racing and keep it in D so i think its a pretty good mod. i had to rebuild my tranny so i thought i might as well put it in.

heres another thing you can do while your tranny is dropped. THE J-MOD. the people over on the tbird website, TCCOA.COM do this mod to their auto trannies all the time and everyone has nothing but praise on it. it has something to do with drilling hiles in your valve bodies or sumthin. i dont know im not that technicaly inclined when it comes to auto's. but research it on there, as we(the tbirds) and you guys(mustangs) have the same automatic tranny's (4R70W) it will help drastically along with a 3000rpm stall and 4.10's and a tranny cooler. im thinking itll shave at least .7 seconds off your et.

GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 11:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
it just removes the 4th gear. that is all. dont expect better times w/ OD off vs. OD on. wont happen.
I like to say in my personal experience thats not true at all. When I went to the track the first time with just exhaust my best run with the OD on was a 16.9 then when I went again about half way down the track I shut the OD off and it improved my time to a 16.2. What Ive notice when I shut the OD off my RPMs went up alot quicker. it wasnt sluggish at all like it was when the OD was on.
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:31 PM   #21
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Quote:
it just removes the 4th gear. that is all. dont expect better times w/ OD off vs. OD on. wont happen.
I like to say in my personal experience thats not true at all. When I went to the track the first time with just exhaust my best run with the OD on was a 16.9 then when I went again about half way down the track I shut the OD off and it improved my time to a 16.2. What Ive notice when I shut the OD off my RPMs went up alot quicker. it wasnt sluggish at all like it was when the OD was on.
dude all it does is doesnt let your car go into 4th gear. Theres absolutely no advantage to turning it off.... You probably got a better launch or shifted differently between gears (if you were shifting it manually) theres a lot more that can affect your ET then just hitting a button to turn off O/D

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimStang
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang
Quote:
dude all it does is doesnt let your car go into 4th gear. Theres absolutely no advantage to turning it off.... You probably got a better launch or shifted differently between gears (if you were shifting it manually) theres a lot more that can affect your ET then just hitting a button to turn off O/D
If my scanner would work Id scan the slips to show there was no real differ besides when you get to one of the marking let me find the slips and ill post the info.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

i hate to break it to you, but youre wrong. OD does not effect the first 3 gears AT ALL. it does not make the revs go quicker, it does not make the gears longer, it does not shave 0.7 off your ET. the only thing that can take that much off your 1/4 time is about 70hp. there is no way that taking OD off gives you 70hp. youre full of crap.

what were your 60's and your 1/4 mphs of those slips??
Old 10-31-2003, 02:33 PM   #24
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

seriously man, it doesnt do a thing. If anything it would slow you down cuz you could hit your 3rd gear rev limiter and just not go any faster after that...

but then again, you wouldnt get toing that fast running a 16.xx to hit your limter.

I like toys
Old 11-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I found my timeslips

OD on

R/T... .777
60... 2.523
1/8...11.212
MPH...64.45
1/4...17.215
MPH...82.00

OD off half way down the track

R/T... .769
60... 2.499
330... 6.853
1/8... 10.492
MPH... 67.70
1000... 13.642
1/4... 16.363
MPH... 81.75

Only mods I had was a Borla Catback
Old 11-03-2003, 05:15 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

ok, first of all. if you did it half way down the track, then that doesnt account for your 330' being so different. thats where you gained your speed. in the end of first gear and beginning of second. WHEN YOU STILL HAD OD ON!!!!!!!!! its said for every 0.1 gain in the 60', you gain 0.2 in the 1/4 time. look at 0.5 in the 330' and thats easily the 0.8xx difference you see there. so no way you taking it off at or after the 1/8mi (which is half way) effected the half-second gain you saw earlier. your 60' on the second run is almost a full .1 quicker and thus that means you got a better launch. you could have been peeling out on the first run cause your mph's are the same. you do not get the same mph's and run a full second quicker. you were peeling out on the first run.

once again, you dont have to believe me, but do not preach it on this board. YOUR OD BEING OFF OR ON DOES NOT EFFECT YOUR 1/4 TIMES UNLESS YOU HAVE TO SHIFT INTO 4TH AT THE VERY END OF THE TRACK. PERIOD
Old 11-03-2003, 05:24 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
UNLESS YOU HAVE TO SHIFT INTO 4TH AT THE VERY END OF THE TRACK. PERIOD

which you cant do at WOT anyways

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:41 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

4th = OD, and i have had to shift into it at the end when i had nitrous and 4.10s installed.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

unless a chip can do it, WOT disables OD on our cars stock.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 11-03-2003, 06:41 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

you might want to check that out, cause i have a shift kit installed, and there was 3 very clear shifts. and since it starts in first gear w/o a shift.... that means it ended up in 4th

i know A/C is shut off under WOT conditions, but have never seen or heard anything about OD being turned off. even when stock, i took it on a deserted highway to see what top speed was, and it shifted into OD at about 90ish. it would be too high of revs if it were at 3rd gear at 110mph. doesnt make any sense
Old 11-03-2003, 08:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

you might be right.

I always thought it wouldnt shift into OD at WOT. Maybe I just needed a chip to remove the top speed governor that I always would hit in 3rd.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
Old 11-07-2003, 04:49 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

what is wot? is that the point in my throttle when my car picks up alot?

Quote:
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
Old 11-07-2003, 05:45 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
wot equals wide open throttle
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 07:06 PM   #34
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangin99
Quote:
UNLESS YOU HAVE TO SHIFT INTO 4TH AT THE VERY END OF THE TRACK. PERIOD

which you cant do at WOT anyways
yeah it will, ive maxed my car out on an interstate and i was in 4th gear. My speedo was pegged and id say i was doing a good 135-140mph

I like toys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang