Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Exhaust

Still throwing it around, Do I buy a stock GT exhaust and make it fit and change the mufflers or buy a cat back system and install it or buy mufflers {Flowmaster 44's} and have the muffler shop cut the Y and and install it? Also what do you guys think, stainless tips under the rear bumper or exhaust turn downs like stock? Want to get your ideas. Thanks Ponyboy
ponyboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy94 View Post
Still throwing it around, Do I buy a stock GT exhaust and make it fit and change the mufflers or buy a cat back system and install it or buy mufflers {Flowmaster 44's} and have the muffler shop cut the Y and and install it? Also what do you guys think, stainless tips under the rear bumper or exhaust turn downs like stock? Want to get your ideas. Thanks Ponyboy
Id just buy a new system and install it yourself. Also, go ahead and do a midpipe at the same time so you dont have to redo it down the road. It is a very simple bolt-on. By the time you track down the parts and pay a shop, it can get costly. Imo go with an o/r h and flowmaster 40 catback. Turn-downs will be loud inside the car and will get on your nerves. But if you mean like stock, that looks like crap. They arent really considered turn downs though. Go with a nice set of 3" stainless tips.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

flowmaster super 40s. mines y- sounds like a beast. is the way to go i **** u not

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

You could PM another member Gt.Vert about his GT takeoff if that's what you're interested in. He recently sold his car but still has the exhaust setup for sale. I think he has the setup from the stock midpipe (catted h-pipe) back. May want to check and see if it's still available.

If not you could buy an aftermarket GT catback and have a muffler shop weld it on. You could purchase the Pacesetter adapter that allows v6's to bolt up any GT/mach 1 catback. They would have to do some custom fabbing to make it work with the stock piping with cats. They would probably cut off the y-pipe and weld/connect the adapter and catback up.

Or you could have the exhaust shop run new piping and have your choice mufflers welded in.

Dumps (turndown tips) will make for a deeper tone but can get loud in the cabin of the car...on long trips that noise could get old real fast. Nice polished stainless tips (not chrome=rust) would look nice under the bumper...the GT bumper with the 2 cutouts looks the best imo, but it's not something you have to have immediately after getting exhaust.
Your car is silver, so a used GT bumper shouldn't be too hard to find. Could pick one up for $100 or so.

Common consensus is flowmaster 40's or 44's with an o/r h pipe. Longtubes would further enhance the sound but aren't necessary. The car will sound great at idle and below 2k rpms, but be prepared for a buzzy, droney tone above 2500 rpms...just how the v6's are.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
You could PM another member Gt.Vert about his GT takeoff if that's what you're interested in. He recently sold his car but still has the exhaust setup for sale. I think he has the setup from the stock midpipe (catted h-pipe) back. May want to check and see if it's still available.

If not you could buy an aftermarket GT catback and have a muffler shop weld it on. You could purchase the Pacesetter adapter that allows v6's to bolt up any GT/mach 1 catback. They would have to do some custom fabbing to make it work with the stock piping with cats. They would probably cut off the y-pipe and weld/connect the adapter and catback up.

Or you could have the exhaust shop run new piping and have your choice mufflers welded in.

Dumps (turndown tips) will make for a deeper tone but can get loud in the cabin of the car...on long trips that noise could get old real fast. Nice polished stainless tips (not chrome=rust) would look nice under the bumper...the GT bumper with the 2 cutouts looks the best imo, but it's not something you have to have immediately after getting exhaust.
Your car is silver, so a used GT bumper shouldn't be too hard to find. Could pick one up for $100 or so.

Common consensus is flowmaster 40's or 44's with an o/r h pipe. Longtubes would further enhance the sound but aren't necessary. The car will sound great at idle and below 2k rpms, but be prepared for a buzzy, droney tone above 2500 rpms...just how the v6's are.
Ok I guess the o/r means off road and H means H pipe correct. I talked to GT.Vert about hie exhaust and I have question keep confusing my self. First where can I buy a silver rear GT bumper for about a 100 that sonds good to me { not sure where to look } Next do I buy his exhaust and change the mufflers and the bumper what else would I need with his exhaust. Last if I bought a system and cut off my Y pipe for the duals who would I buy it from I think I want to go wth 44's so which kit would I buy so I can compare. Just alittle confused so your help is always appreciated. I will post more pics of my car when I take more looks better than the pic shown Ponyboy
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

If I was doing it today I would buy a GT take off catback and Y pipe adaptor that allows me to bolt up a GT catback. I would have it installed so that the tips sit JUST like a GT does (how much the tips sit out/in etc)

Then I would see if I liked the sound and If I wanted I would upgrade the mufflers on the stock system.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
If I was doing it today I would buy a GT take off catback and Y pipe adaptor that allows me to bolt up a GT catback. I would have it installed so that the tips sit JUST like a GT does (how much the tips sit out/in etc)

Then I would see if I liked the sound and If I wanted I would upgrade the mufflers on the stock system.
Ok I get what your sayin, I don't have a Gt bumper can they still install the exhaust with out it or will it hang to low, and whats a good price for the take off exhaust and price and where to buy the y pipe adaptor. Thanks in advance for everybodys help. Ponyboy
Old 06-21-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
flowmaster super 40s. mines y- sounds like a beast. is the way to go i **** u not
Just checking your exhaust comes right off your stock Y pipe?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Just checking your exhaust comes right off your stock Y pipe?
I had that at first. You will be disappointed after a week or so. The only time it is noticeable is when you floor it and initial start up.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Ok I guess the o/r means off road and H means H pipe correct. I talked to GT.Vert about hie exhaust and I have question keep confusing my self. First where can I buy a silver rear GT bumper for about a 100 that sonds good to me { not sure where to look } Next do I buy his exhaust and change the mufflers and the bumper what else would I need with his exhaust. Last if I bought a system and cut off my Y pipe for the duals who would I buy it from I think I want to go wth 44's so which kit would I buy so I can compare. Just alittle confused so your help is always appreciated. I will post more pics of my car when I take more looks better than the pic shown Ponyboy
1) Yes you are correct about the o/r and h pipe.

2) Check mustang specific salvage yards like Prestige mustang and MPS Auto Salvage for bumpers. Also check craiglist and mustang forums for people selling used bumpers. Keep in mind I've seen a silver GT bumper as low as $100 and a silver GT hood for $150 a while ago...that's why I said $100. No guarantee you'll find one that cheap right now.

3) You can buy his exhaust and the pacesetter adapter as Spector V said and it will bolt right up under your car. If you want more sound you can have mufflers of your choice welded in.

4) American Muscle has a few choices for systems, both v6 and GT. Brenspeed also offers quite a few. Not sure if Flowmaster offers a catback system with flowmaster 44's...so it might be easier to buy the GT takeoff and weld in the flowmaster 44's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post

Good point...I agree as well. You can always weld in different mufflers...that's not a big deal. Plus with the GT takeoff exhaust you retain 2.25" piping, so no loss in backpressure.

Quote:
Ok I get what your sayin, I don't have a Gt bumper can they still install the exhaust with out it or will it hang to low, and whats a good price for the take off exhaust and price and where to buy the y pipe adaptor. Thanks in advance for everybodys help. Ponyboy
The exhaust tips might fit with the stock hangars, but I'm not 100% sure. I know when I bought my system it came with 2 sets of hangars: 1 for the standard bumper, another for the GT bumper. You could check with the exhaust shop and see if they have hangars that will fit the stock bumper.

Not sure on prices for the takeoff exhaust since they are hard to come by these days...but iirc Gt.Vert's price was pretty reasonable.

Also, here's the link for the Pacesetter Adapter. This will bolt up to the catted piping and will allow the GT takeoff or catback to bolt right up. Keep in mind that the adapter is currently out of stock at AM

V6 Dual Exhaust adapter kit at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

1999-2004 Ford Mustang Exhaust at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Catback System

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yea you always want to be able to unbolt your catback, welded on is bad as you cant remove it (has to be cut off...)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

I am always calling up Prestige Salvage in GA since they are right up the road. I can just drive up and pick up what I want. I love that place.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust