Best lowering springs????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Best lowering springs?????

Hey there,
I have a 2010 v6 stang, looking to lower it...what are the best springs to use? Anything eles required chamber plates? Etc. Etc. Thanks for your help/input!
Camaro Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Re: Best lowering springs?????

There are a lot of choices. My recommendations for springs would be Eibach or H&R. Figure out what you plan on using the car for before deciding on your springs (Daily driver, racing, combo). Also are you replacing your shocks/struts? You don't want to buy a set of springs that will overpower your stock shocks.

I usually recommend CC (caster-camber) plates and an adj panhard bar with replacing springs. Usually, it is also a good time to replace the shocks/struts but that depends on you budget. As long as you don't go way extreme on the springs, you could get by for a while with stock shocks/struts, but they will wear out faster.

CC plates will help with alignment, replaces the stock strut-mounts, as well as having other benefits. I'll point you to this MM article on the benefits of CC plates
MM Caster/Camber Plate Tech : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

The adj panhard bar will center your rear-end which will tend to shift to one side when you lower the car. Depends on how much the offset bugs you as to whether you want to do this. unlike the CC-plates, you won't incur any additional labor if you decide to wait and install it later.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinging just an aggresive street, maybe occasional strip lowering springs. Wasn't gona go with new struts/shocks...as far CC goes I was told if the drop is less than 1.5 inches it should be fine without? True? I was thinking sway bar for the front or back? What specificaly does that do? Does it have the same effect as the panhard bar? Is ford racing springs good? Bad? Ugly? Thank you for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Dont do Sportlines, they look sexy as hell but the ride quality is ****ty, i know cuz thats the ones i have on my car
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Eater View Post
I was thinging just an aggresive street, maybe occasional strip lowering springs. Wasn't gona go with new struts/shocks...as far CC goes I was told if the drop is less than 1.5 inches it should be fine without? True? I was thinking sway bar for the front or back? What specificaly does that do? Does it have the same effect as the panhard bar? Is ford racing springs good? Bad? Ugly? Thank you for your help!
Common saying is that springs that lower the car 1" or less won't affect the camber enough to cause uneven tire wear. Springs like the Ford C Springs and 01 Bullitt Springs lowered the car .75" to 1".

Most aftermarket springs such as Eibach, H&R, and Steeda lower the car at least 1.5", some even more (H&R Super Sports lower the car 1.6-2").

That's why most suggest CC plates with lowering springs.

Sway bars will help reduce body roll in turns. Adding some sway bars to your v6 mustang will most likely reduce understeer.

Generally Ford Racing springs lower the car less than other brands. I know F Springs are available for the 99-04 mustangs and they lower the car 1.5".

I have seen a set of progressive rate FRPP springs for the 05-11 GT's that lowered the car 1.5", so maybe there is something out there for the new v6's. Most people just go with Eibach or H&R since they are the most aggressive and offer a few different drop heights. Keep in mind that the more aggressive the rate and the lower the drop, the quicker your stock shocks/struts will wear out.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

As always thank you all for your help, I decided to go with FRPP progressive springs claiming 1 to 1.3 inch drop. I ordered them just a bit ago, according to parts distributer no CC or panhard bar required due to more mild of a drop. Thank you all for your help! As a side note my car is in the shop right now being fitted with Motive performance 4.10 rear gears and FRPP t-lok, I'm am looking forward to that!!
Old 06-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

BEST is very subjective to what you want or what characteristics you are looking for

performance
looks
ride quality
etc?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla

Awesome. I was going to say Eibach because I'm happy with them.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa

Agree with what everyone else said. A drop of 1.25-1.5" is 'gray' in terms of whether you need CC plates. In most cases, anything beyond 1.5" usually requires additional help for alignment. With only a 1" drop, you probably won't notice the rear-end swing (or it will be very minimal).

If you were putting on somethig like the H&R Race Springs with your stock V6 shocks/struts, then you might have some problems, but sounds like the Ford springs are pretty mild.

Being a 2010, you might get by reusing the existing strut-mounts, but I would have them carefully inspected before reinstall if you are not planning on replacing them.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 AM   #10

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to DDavis30

I'm thinking about the ford C springs for my 04 ... Anyone got them? .. Pros? cons?
1999 Suzuki Intruder 1400
DDavis30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Mine should be coming today in the mail...pros I've heard...lowers car mildly meanind less additional mods..I.e. camber plates, panhead bar...I've heard many things about the FRPP springs it depends on how much you want to drop it I suppose...the C springs will give about 1 to 1.5 inch drop where as many others give you more, general rule is more than 1.5 inch drop and you'll need additional suspension components to make the car drive right. I looked into it a lot before going with the C springs from FRPP I am happy with my decision based on the knowledge I have. Hope that helps!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDavis30 View Post
I'm thinking about the ford C springs for my 04 ... Anyone got them? .. Pros? cons?
If you want a slight drop, some better than stock handling, and a cheaper set of springs, the C springs are the way to go. They are standard springs like the stock ones, so you won't get the huge handling differences the other aftermarket springs offer. Most benefits come from the lower stance = a lower center of gravity.

Most springs like Eibach (Pro Kit) and H&R (Super Sports) will drop the car from 1.5" to 2". They are more aggressive and have progressive characteristics, meaning they will change rate based on what the car is doing...in a tight turn they will compress, when cruising they will be at their normal rate.

So it's up to you...a lot of people go with Eibach Pro Kit springs since they have a good balance of both a drop and improved handling characteristics.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 07-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Im dumpin my Sport lines and ordered a set od Pro kit for my car cuz i could stand the way it rode anymore
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:32 AM   #14

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to DDavis30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
If you want a slight drop, some better than stock handling, and a cheaper set of springs, the C springs are the way to go. They are standard springs like the stock ones, so you won't get the huge handling differences the other aftermarket springs offer. Most benefits come from the lower stance = a lower center of gravity.

Most springs like Eibach (Pro Kit) and H&R (Super Sports) will drop the car from 1.5" to 2". They are more aggressive and have progressive characteristics, meaning they will change rate based on what the car is doing...in a tight turn they will compress, when cruising they will be at their normal rate.

So it's up to you...a lot of people go with Eibach Pro Kit springs since they have a good balance of both a drop and improved handling characteristics.
I see we get what we pay for here ... Thanks for the info, I'm looking to drop mine 1.5" up front and 1" in the rear and I don't mind a more aggressive ride feel... Definitely looks like it's best to spend a little more and get the results I want ..
1999 Suzuki Intruder 1400
DDavis30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it is...the pro kit will drop the car ~1.5" in the front and rear...if you want a little more (~.25") take the spring isolators out and wrap the ends of of the springs with black electrical tape a few times. That will help prevent the slight chance of grinding or rubbing when the springs compress fully such as going over a bump.

I would consider some Maximum Motorsports Cast and Camber plates. They will keep the camber from the new springs in line and prevent your tires from wearing unevenly.

John at NQS Performance sells both the Eibach Pro Kit springs and the MM CC plates...might want to PM him. He's usually on regularly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang