exhaust work - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
exhaust work

First off, hi, I'm new! I just recently got my first mustang, an '08 V6 4.0L. The first thing I want to do is a dual exhaust system, but I was wondering if that's something I can do myself? I'm pretty much a beginner to all of this and I want to learn more by doing my own work.
OHHitsKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: exhaust work

if you have the right equipment and knowledge you can do it yourself. you can also learn more by watching people that know what their doing do the work ;p

2004 3.9L v6
Black on black on black

MAC Cold Air Intake, 4.10 gears + T-Lok, SCT Tuner, dual H piped flowmaster super 40's
blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I highly doubt I have the equipment or know_how, so I guess I'll have to watch someone ;p thank you for your reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

It is possible to do the work yourself, but as said, having the proper/necessary equipment helps a ton. The easiest way to put any exhaust component on is while the car is on a lift. More maneuvering space, easier to take parts off, can see things better, etc.

I'd say the it depends on what type of exhaust your considering. I put on a "bolt up" exhaust on my car years ago. I did it in the garage with a set of ramps, it wasn't overly difficult but more space and a lift would've been nice. This system did need to be cut to fit properly, so I ended up taking it to a shop afterwards anyways.

The 05-09's have a few options. If you're doing an axle back single muffler, I'd say do it at home. It's pretty easy and I don't think any cutting is required. The only obstacle might be finding the right muffler hangar.

If you are looking into a full exhaust system from the headers back where custom fabbing of piping or cutting is needed, I'd just take it to a reputable, fairly priced shop...much easier that way.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking about a catback dual exhaust, but I just realized another problem; I'd need to cut a space in my rear bumper for the exhaust to fit. Pretty sure I have no idea how to do that lol
Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHHitsKB View Post
I was thinking about a catback dual exhaust, but I just realized another problem; I'd need to cut a space in my rear bumper for the exhaust to fit. Pretty sure I have no idea how to do that lol
If you are looking into a catback, I'd have it done at a shop...unless you have access to a lift somewhere

You could cut a hole on the other side yourself. Do some measurements and using a hole saw attachment, dremel, coping saw, hell even a cd for the rough diameter, cut out the other hole, then sand or use a buffing tip on a dremel to smooth the edge...I've seen quite a few v6 cars with it done. The most important thing is to have the proper measurements from the license plate openings.

Here's the template from Pypes Exhaust:

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-69-bumper-cutout02.pdf

Or you can buy a GT rear bumper already with the cutouts...they aren't too difficult to find...generally colors like black, silver and red are the most popular. You could look for one on craigslist or ebay, or check salvage yards for a wrecked v8 car.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, thanks for the advice! I'll see what I can do to cut that hole out myself. If I did an axelback exhaust, do you thing It'd be easier to do myself?
Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, here's my real question. Will I gain any horsepower by changing my exhaust? I know that the stock midpipes are pretty much the same size as most aftermarket ones, so does it really make a difference? If there's no horsepower gain, I may just go with axelback to save some money.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There is, and it depends on which style of exhaust you go with and how many parts you replace...generally a full header back system will net more hp's than a converter back system (y-pipe) or axle back muffler. I'd say an axleback will probably give you 2-5 and a full system 5-10...these are guesses as I'm not too familiar with gains on the 4.0's.

A tune will probably squeak out more hp's and tq since the 4.0's are more sensitive to changes like CAI's, exhaust and pullies, at least compared to the previous 3.8/3.9's.

You could find a GT takeoff exhaust and have it put in...you'll retain the 2.25" piping that came stock and won't lose backpressure. Plus if you want a different or louder tone, you can have new mufflers swapped in.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Okay. Could you explain the backpressure thing to me?
Old 07-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Backpressure is basically the resistance exhaust gases...most fuel injected cars are tuned to have some backpressure to keep rpms at a certain level for the car to run.

Your standard piping is 2.25" in diameter. Most aftermkarket exhaust systems are 2.5", made out of T409 Mandrel Bent piping. Now I will say that the slight increase in size isn't going to hurt anything or cause your car to run poorly. Plus with a tune you can adjust your ECU for the larger diameter exhaust.

I have the 2.5" piping on my car and I really didn't feel any loss in torque. Most will say keeping the same size diameter piping will eliminate any possibility of losing backpressure or torque, so that's why the stock GT catback is suggested.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, so I'm going to get an x-pipe and a gt cat-back exhaust. If I switch from the stock y-pipe to an x-pipe will I need a tuner? or can I get a catted x-pipe and be in the clear?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #13

Region: Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to DDavis30

I found this clip earlier today and was quite surprised at how well the car sounded with it's setup... a single 2 1/2" cherry bomb at the y pipe...
Here's hoe his setup looks ... TechWeasel :: Retrolicious! :: March :: 2009

I don't really like the idea of a single setup or putting the turndown under the cabin of the car but it might be something to think about as a dual setup and running the pipes all the way to the rear of the car ...

my plan is to go with the x pipe, stock GT pull off system with Flowmaster super 44's ... they sounded pretty sweet in a few other vids I saw ...
1999 Suzuki Intruder 1400
DDavis30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Well luckily today I found a good muffler shop that will custom fabricate and fit whatever I bring in, so I'm just going to hit a junkyard and see what I can find!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust