Turbo or Supercharger or NOS???? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Turbo or Supercharger or NOS????

I am close to to savannah only about a lil over an hour. Roots vs Centrifugal lol. IF you wanna go fast then go with a Centrifugal. If you wanna smoke tired then go Roots. (only in a v6) Most V8 cars have evough tq to get the ball rolling. Centrifugal are the simalier as turbos but work off of a belt. They will keep pulling as you build RPMs and the roots after a certain point stops pulling and become heat soaked.

331stroked vortech 16psi
91sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91sleeper View Post
I am close to to savannah only about a lil over an hour. Roots vs Centrifugal lol. IF you wanna go fast then go with a Centrifugal. If you wanna smoke tired then go Roots. (only in a v6) Most V8 cars have evough tq to get the ball rolling. Centrifugal are the simalier as turbos but work off of a belt. They will keep pulling as you build RPMs and the roots after a certain point stops pulling and become heat soaked.
And turbo if you wanna smoke the tires and go fast
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Eater View Post
I just thought of a couple things....1) I'm in California which has unbelievably strict emmisions laws, what does that do for my Turbo or supercharger options? Are they emmision friendly? Also what about internals like, cams, heads, etc. Are they going to effect emmisions??
Yeah a lot of these performance upgrades are going to affect your emissions. I know most Superchargers do have a HiPo Kit and a CA friendly model. I know Vortechs systems are all CA smog legal. But like the Explorer Express Roots Style blower they have a CA spec and a HiPo kit.
SVTCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Dude, I'd encourage you to consider Supercharging. For reasons already mentioned. Also, with a gear (3:73/4:10) you're gonna have a **** ton of bottom end grunt. Like bottom end from the south seas of china kinda low end torque/launch. With the right drag radial and suspension set up. Dude you're launch is going to be mallicious. As well as the 4.0 bottom end is forged from the get go, its down to just picking a hp # and gun for it. So, 400-500hp V6 with stock bottom end isnt too far outta the question.

These are just a few of my two cents. Saw this thread and really want to drop my thoughts. Whatever poision you pick, its gonna be sick and **** tons a fun. And uh, gotta concure with the rest of these guys. I'd give nos a second thought. Good for the strip. But isn't all that advisable for street use. Choose wisely ;}
rinfield2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Nos can be use on the street just not in traffic LOL...the most funniest **** i ever saw was a guy tryn to break on a 100 shot of nitrous LOL.....that would have made a great youtube video! but rinfields right about the launch with gears and supercharger, but everyone love twin turbo...once again.....choose wisely ;}
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I found a single turbo setup if you were leaning towards that. Its on Stagethreemotorsports.com.

Its 5900 big ones and produces you 313RWHP and 326RWTQ according to the site.

2005-09 Mustang V6 STS Single Turbo System - Free Shipping
Old 07-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Ouch....veyr spensive
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #43
DEG
Registered Member
Regular

what about the squires turbo system? does anybody have any feedback on that turbo?
DEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEG View Post
what about the squires turbo system? does anybody have any feedback on that turbo?
The STS turbo is $5900. At 9PSI it delivers 313RWHP and 326RWTQ. It is a single turbo set up.

There is a link to it on my last post on stagethreemotorsports.com

Squires Turbo Systems - Mustang V6
This is the STS site.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #45
Road Trip!

Leave STS alone if you want turbo, you have MORE than enough room in the engine bay.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

The best way to go is look for a used system. Dont matter if its Turbo or a charger. For the most part boost is boost. You not going for an all out drag car. I suggest look for a used vortech V2 hit and run 8psi call it a day and have a good time.

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #47
Road Trip!

Quote:
The best way to go is look for a used system. Dont matter if its Turbo or a charger. For the most part boost is boost. You not going for an all out drag car. I suggest look for a used vortech V2 hit and run 8psi call it a day and have a good time.
No its not... Don't lie to the man like that!

Turbo > vortech

Ask me how i know...
Old 07-21-2010, 06:40 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

well I see turbo cars in my rear view mirror all the time so........ Yea thats right.

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #49
Road Trip!

Quote:
well I see turbo cars in my rear view mirror all the time so........ Yea thats right.
Until they spool
Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Let's start with the similarities. Both turbochargers and superchargers are called forced induction systems. They compress the air flowing into the engine*. The advantage of compressing the air is that it lets the engine stuff more air into a cylinder. More air means that more fuel can be stuffed in, too, so you get more power from each explosion in each cylinder. A turbo/supercharged engine produces more power overall than the same engine without the charging.*

*The typical boost provided by either a turbocharger or a supercharger is 6 to 8 pounds per square inch (psi). Since normal atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi at sea level, you can see that you are getting about 50-percent more air into the engine. Therefore, you would expect to get 50-percent more power. It's not perfectly efficient, though, so you might get a 30-percent to 40-percent improvement instead. *
Next *

*The key difference between a turbocharger and a supercharger is its power supply. Something has to supply the power to run the air compressor. In a supercharger, there is a belt that connects directly to the engine. It gets its power the same way that the water pump or alternator does. A turbocharger, on the other hand, gets its power from the exhaust stream. The exhaust runs through a turbine, which in turn spins the compressor.

There are tradeoffs in both systems. In theory, a turbocharger is more efficient because it is using the "wasted" energy in the exhaust stream for its power source. On the other hand, a turbocharger causes some amount of back pressure in the exhaust system and tends to provide less boost until the engine is running at higher RPMs. Superchargers are easier to install.

Turbo Pros ( + )

trd superchargerOnly one, where max boost / max power is required in full race, track application, where other considerations can be rejected, e.g. cost to build and develop, life expectancy etc.

Turbo Cons ( - )

Much higher boost pressure is needed in a turbo for the same bhp due to pressurized air being much hotter, due to conduction from red hot exhaust manifold.

Much more complex management needed in a turbo, to control fueling and ignition due instantaneous rise of boost pressure.

Higher pressures and temperatures encouraging detonation, turbo is the big engine destroyer.

More intercooling needed to cool inlet air.

Much higher under bonnet temperature making everything hotter and so reducing power.

High under bonnet temperature reducing life of things like wiring looms and hoses.

Much higher incidents of fire due to red hot turbo and manifold.

Compromise exhaust manifold and system function due to restriction of turbo not letting the gas flow freely.

Extra shock loadings on transmission because of sudden increase in power.

Supercharger Pros ( + )

Basically all the things the turbo is bad at the supercharger is good at.

Supercharger Cons ( - )

No dump valve to make a nice noise

For those building their own kit I would recommend always going to a supercharger 1 size above what the engine capacity suggests, as the price for the next size higher is quite small and if necessary put a restrictor in to reduce the boost. The reason I say this is that most people start off with quite modest expectations but as soon as they have it fitted they want MORE and if the supercharger they have already fitted is running at max capacity, they have to discard it and buy a complete new supercharger unit. This problem of running out of charger capacity is especially a problem if the engine is 1) High revving e.g. over 7000 rpm. 2) 16 valve unit, as they eat air quicker than 8 valves. 3) The compression is lowered.

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
Until they spool
LOL once they spool up I am gone. We aint running on the interstate for 6 miles lol.

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #52
Road Trip!

Quote:
LOL once they spool up I am gone. We aint running on the interstate for 6 miles lol.
Oh your gonna make me go build a turbo 331 fox to show you how its done
Old 07-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

better be a auto so you can spool it up before the light turns green. You know I bet its fun trying to Daily Drive a fox with a c4 and a 3500 stall just so you can have a turbo to try to keep up with me. LOL

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #55
Road Trip!

Quote:
better be a auto so you can spool it up before the light turns green. You know I bet its fun trying to Daily Drive a fox with a c4 and a 3500 stall just so you can have a turbo to try to keep up with me. LOL
We're in the era of billet wheel turbos, and electronics... Wouldn't need a c4, a tko600 would suffice
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Bring it then I am Ready. A good quote from a awesome movie that I am going to modify to fit the thread is. If you build it I will come. So do I need to bring the street car or my drag car. What kinda times do you think you could run with it?

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #57
Road Trip!

Quote:
Bring it then I am Ready. A good quote from a awesome movie that I am going to modify to fit the thread is. If you build it I will come. So do I need to bring the street car or my drag car. What kinda times do you think you could run with it?
Ah, this is why I like you I'm also going to mod that quote to say "if I spool it, it will go" To be totally honest, I'm not sure what it would run... I imagine if I tried to 100% mirror your car besides the power adder, with proper turbo sizing It would run a few tenths ahead of you?
Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

lol better be faster than a 6.30 street car or a 5.20 drag car.

Your really a Honda guy are heart arent you lol. Turbo Turbo Turbo lol jk

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a shop thats about an hour from mine I see them at the track all the time. They are very impressive. Much respect to these guys. They are also very friendly people,
Super Six Motorsports

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a shop thats about an hour from mine I see them at the track all the time. They are very impressive. Much respect to these guys. They are also very friendly people,
Super Six Motorsports

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #61
Road Trip!

Quote:
lol better be faster than a 6.30 street car or a 5.20 drag car.

Your really a Honda guy are heart arent you lol. Turbo Turbo Turbo lol jk
You know it

Quote:
Super Six Motorsports
Ah, I don't think tom has any turbo cars yet does he?

Pff we would be better off on AIM, this might be a long convo!
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

You just kinda proved my point on superchargers lol.

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 AM   #64
Road Trip!

Quote:
How lol... All of the cars I know from ssms are either n/a or nitrous'd
Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

They are also a big fan of superchargers as well. Here is some things off there web site.

Adding an M-112 blower from the 03-04 Cobra can add 100 RWHP/RWTQ to your 99-04 3.8 Mustang or 96-up 4.2 F-150. Our adapter manifold makes this very simple. Heres all you need to source from an 03-04 Cobra: M-112; inlet plenum; throttle body, cable, and bracket; air induction, meter, filter, and #39 injectors. Add a bigger fuel pump and water/meth kit and a few small parts and have it tuned. Detailed installation instructions provided with each adapter. $900

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...Cdynotest1.pdf

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM   #66
Road Trip!

Quote:
They are also a big fan of superchargers as well. Here is some things off there web site.

Adding an M-112 blower from the 03-04 Cobra can add 100 RWHP/RWTQ to your 99-04 3.8 Mustang or 96-up 4.2 F-150. Our adapter manifold makes this very simple. Heres all you need to source from an 03-04 Cobra: M-112; inlet plenum; throttle body, cable, and bracket; air induction, meter, filter, and #39 injectors. Add a bigger fuel pump and water/meth kit and a few small parts and have it tuned. Detailed installation instructions provided with each adapter. $900

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...Cdynotest1.pdf

Oh well they sell that obviously! Its nathans design though, I forgot your not in the v6 mustang world to know what goes on I think they like all the ssms engines making 550+ with turbos a bit more
Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

there are some impressive 6cly out there not going to deny that. I just think that he would enjoy the superchager more because the torque to get it up and going.

Of topic lets face it If you are racing a N20 carand he hooks off the line its a ***** to try to catch him. Even when Im in my drag car and I am running someone with Nitrous and the hook then its a chase. On the street its the same way. The problem with a street car is that you can ride around with the bottle on and looking for a fight that would be GAY.

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #68
Road Trip!

Quote:
there are some impressive 6cly out there not going to deny that. I just think that he would enjoy the superchager more because the torque to get it up and going.

Of topic lets face it If you are racing a N20 carand he hooks off the line its a ***** to try to catch him. Even when Im in my drag car and I am running someone with Nitrous and the hook then its a chase. On the street its the same way. The problem with a street car is that you can ride around with the bottle on and looking for a fight that would be GAY.
How is your drag car setup? tbrake,2step,etc?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

foot break

Imma a poor man lol

331stroked vortech 16psi
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #70
Road Trip!

Quote:
foot break

Imma a poor man lol
Gotcha, so am I... I'll just run my girlfriends car

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang