Switching to Cobra IRS! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Switching to Cobra IRS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangScott View Post
There is a slight snag though, the ABS sensors were not on this IRS. Can i simply reuse my originals? Or do I have to buy the cobra ones?
I believe they're the same, reason I would think this is the term "Modular" mustang.
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
I believe they're the same, reason I would think this is the term "Modular" mustang.
Well as it turns out I wont need to change the flange on the Diff. my drive shaft blots right up. got the threaded holes cleaned out but the ones that are on the side of the frame started to brake loose and one complete broke off. Damn rust ate these things pretty good. Hopefully i can manage this!
MustangScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Please be aware that the lower tierod end on the irs is what prevents 15" wheels from fitting. Plenty of people grind the ball joint down and run 15" wheels.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

make sure the DS isnt sitting to far or to close to the trans tail shaft where it slides in.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Everything is in and buttoned down and it turned out great! I love the feel, I love the handling! I just love it! Now I need those 18 inch FR500's
Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
there, fixed it for you.

He has a sixer. He isn't going to snap halfshafts or have problems launching the car. He will, however get to enjoy turning a bumpy corner at speed without feeling the assend kick around.
He wouldn't have a chance in hell.

He

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
You have about as many people who can constantly run 9s and 10s on STOCK half shafts as you do sprayed fbodies who can do it on the stock 7.5

Anyway but your right, hes not going to break it with his power, or lack of.
+sideways 8

Quote:
The IRS is only about 100-150 pounds heavier. That should equate to around .1-.2 decrease in the quarter.

If you're worried about 1/4 times, stick with the solid.
There is a helluva difference in weight transfer among the IRS and SRA that plays into this effect. Craig's car weighed in at just under 3300lbs last week (no driver) with SRA, Tubular K, Fiberglass hood and a few other lightening mods. No matter how you take it an SRA is cheaper, easier, and can be built to handle just as well if not better as an IRS for road coursing. The IRS was build around the car and helps in situations where it can but there wasn't enough engineering IMO in this segment to necessitate an IRS in our vehicles. BTW Rob, verts ride alot rougher than Coupes and I have no vert experience but I notice very minimal ride quality b/w IRS/SRA coupes.

Quote:
Some say yes, some say it's no different. The best way to find out is to ride in one...not just on smooth straight roads, but some bumpy roads and bumpy corners.

I believe there is a night and day different in ride quality. I had a 2000 GT, 2002 GT, and now a 93 fox. Compared to the GT's, the ride in the cobra is much better. No more *** end kicking out on bumps. Everything seems to stay planted.
You have to understand this plays into effect with springs/struts/tires and everything else on the GTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
ABS sensors are different.

Quote:
Everything is in and buttoned down and it turned out great! I love the feel, I love the handling! I just love it! Now I need those 18 inch FR500's
Glad your happy. All of us have opinions, but always remember 'to each his own'

The only disagreement I have with your decision is that you claim to like road racing. Theoretically if you were to road race, I see the IRS's weight slowing you more than helping you on most any course. I think you took a step backwards with this modification. Not trying to be rude, JMO
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
No matter how you take it an SRA is cheaper, easier, and can be built to handle just as well if not better as an IRS for road coursing.
You are using opinion in determining which is better and for what purpose, end of discussion. I am not saying which is better, I am saying that its Dependant upon the driver and the track conditions. What you stated in bold above is simply your opinion and you cant prove it no matter how hard you try, just like I cant say an IRS is better than SRA as it depends on setup, condition.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

i've seen several cobra's up @ the track break there rear end's cuz of wheel hop. so don't be like them dumbasses (referring to ppl that can't drive cobra's) when it does occur and keep your foot on the gas. its better to let off and save it. just my .02 cents.

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
You are using opinion in determining which is better and for what purpose, end of discussion. I am not saying which is better, I am saying that its Dependant upon the driver and the track conditions. What you stated in bold above is simply your opinion and you cant prove it no matter how hard you try, just like I cant say an IRS is better than SRA as it depends on setup, condition.
No, I don't feel like this is completely my opinion. I find that its factual once you consider: SRAs are easier to build when compared to an IRS, they are extremely cheaper, and I have seen plenty of cases where a SRA has acheived a numerically higher G force achieved on skidpads on same set-ups. Then once you take into consideration and availability of parts and repair times. SRA wins ten fold.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:21 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I was always told it was simply solid for drag and independant for autox
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:45 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
No, I don't feel like this is completely my opinion. I find that its factual once you consider: SRAs are easier to build when compared to an IRS, they are extremely cheaper, and I have seen plenty of cases where a SRA has acheived a numerically higher G force achieved on skidpads on same set-ups. Then once you take into consideration and availability of parts and repair times. SRA wins ten fold.
G Forces on a skid pad are useless data most of the time as there are tons more factors that come into place and variances that have to be accounted for. This is the basis of why its hard to say X is better than Y as there is no clear cut way to measure an SRA vs IRS in which is faster around the track. Cheap and Easy does not equal better when your goal is to be faster. Some drivers are faster on SRA and some are faster on IRS if drivers are equal in skill~ some just prefer one over the other. Both are great ways to go about it. SRA gets flack since its "old tech" but if it works... it works. IRS gets flack cuz ford did a bad design on it in OEM form... but its a good platform when done right. Basically the ONLY point I am making is that there is no clear winner its about which you prefer and which works best for you.

I dont see how anyone can say SRA is the end all and be all to suspension, and the reverse is also true.. IRS is not the end all and be all either, its just a different way to go about the same problem... getting around the track quicker. Thats all I am trying to say~ try both and see what works best for you. I have no issues with SRA and I wont mind at all if my next car has one~
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

The other day I was taking some turns that normally had my SRA skipping out from under the back of the car and the IRS didnt so much as move an inch! I was so pleased that I found myself smiling as I took those turns.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The other day I was taking some turns that normally had my SRA skipping out from under the back of the car and the IRS didnt so much as move an inch! I was so pleased that I found myself smiling as I took those turns.
You do have to compare oranges to oranges.

You went from a 7.5 inch non posi solid axle in mass production for enough drive ability to let the car leave the showroom to a built IRS out of a 40K car designed to at least spend some track time in some occasions.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #49
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
exactly.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
exactly.

He went from a 7.5 inch non posi solid axle in mass production for enough drive ability to let the car leave the showroom to a built IRS out of a 40K car designed to at least spend some track time in some occasions.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #51
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
I've looked into putting a solid axle in my car.

Let's see:

400 for housing
250 for axles
250 for locker
250 for gears
300 for upper/lower control arms
100 for springs
100 for shocks
--------------
roughly 1650 for a solid axle in my car

Then let's not forget re routing the exhaust or buying a SRA catback.

Nope...not worth it to me when I have a perfectly good IRS in my car already. Once you figure out the IRS it's really not bad at all. Sure...I can't leave at 5 grand side stepping the clutch. But even with a build rear my trans wouldn't last long like that. It seems the output shaft will be next to sheer which is really not fun to replace. Been there, done that.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:15 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I've looked into putting a solid axle in my car.

Let's see:

400 for housing
250 for axles
250 for locker
250 for gears
300 for upper/lower control arms
100 for springs
100 for shocks
--------------
roughly 1650 for a solid axle in my car

Then let's not forget re routing the exhaust or buying a SRA catback.

Nope...not worth it to me when I have a perfectly good IRS in my car already. Once you figure out the IRS it's really not bad at all. Sure...I can't leave at 5 grand side stepping the clutch. But even with a build rear my trans wouldn't last long like that. It seems the output shaft will be next to sheer which is really not fun to replace. Been there, done that.
Good point. Although for you guys that aren't afraid to use lightly used parts (some people won't) you can usually pick up a fully built rear end for a swap and a little cash or some can be had for under $1000 with no swap.

I spent about $550 on my swap in my 2001 Cobra for a 31 Spline eaton carrier 4.30s with aftermarket control arms, shocks, and springs. I was able to find a trade on my exhaust (even swap...same brand just IRS for SRA) I know I could do it again for that price.

My brother spent $850.00 for a Strange fully built race-ready SRA.

It can be had for cheaper just like anything else it just takes time and patience.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #53
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Good point. Although for you guys that aren't afraid to use lightly used parts (some people won't) you can usually pick up a fully built rear end for a swap and a little cash or some can be had for under $1000 with no swap.

I spent about $550 on my swap in my 2001 Cobra for a 31 Spline eaton carrier 4.30s with aftermarket control arms, shocks, and springs. I was able to find a trade on my exhaust (even swap...same brand just IRS for SRA) I know I could do it again for that price.

My brother spent $850.00 for a Strange fully built race-ready SRA.

It can be had for cheaper just like anything else it just takes time and patience.
I know I could find used parts...just never had good luck with used suspension parts myself. If I end up shattering the IRS I'll put it back together and it'll go under the GT.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #54
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:

He went from a 7.5 inch non posi solid axle in mass production for enough drive ability to let the car leave the showroom to a built IRS out of a 40K car designed to at least spend some track time in some occasions.
He is comparing oranges to oranges. It is the same car. Same roads. The change was from solid to irs. If that doesn't make an oranges to oranges comparison, nothing will. Just because it is a 7.5" rear end doesn't make it any less of a comparison. It's a solid rear. It used to hop out on certain roads and certain turns. Now, with the irs, it doesn't. Enough said. Same car. Same roads. The IRS handles better than his solid rear that was in the car....which was his purpose of this swap. Swap was successful.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Actually I went from a 7.5 inch to an 8.8 inch. That one took a dump on me which is why I went with the IRS.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He is comparing oranges to oranges. It is the same car. Same roads. The change was from solid to irs. If that doesn't make an oranges to oranges comparison, nothing will. Just because it is a 7.5" rear end doesn't make it any less of a comparison. It's a solid rear. It used to hop out on certain roads and certain turns. Now, with the irs, it doesn't. Enough said. Same car. Same roads. The IRS handles better than his solid rear that was in the car....which was his purpose of this swap. Swap was successful.
No, same car different spring rates, shocks, and center of gravity. Change in unsprung weight. I'm sure in his vehicle it handles a helluva lot better, I'm not disregarding that. A few swaps could have put him in different shoes everytime. It's amazing that Ford dumped the IRS and is now currently producing one of the best handling Mustangs on the skidpad ever (Besides the 00R) with lap times acheiving faster than a BMW M3 ..with a SRA

Quote:
Actually I went from a 7.5 inch to an 8.8 inch. That one took a dump on me which is why I went with the IRS.

Well, I stand corrected on this issue. Although, I still stand firm ground on my side.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang