Mustang Evolution Forum banner

4.10 gears with a 5speed

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  zztop1234 
#1 ·
is this a bad idea? what would the benefits be? increase in torque? obviously the gears will be shorter and there will be quicker acceleration right? would 3.73's be a betteridea? about how much time would this take off the quarter mile e/t?

#2 ·
With 4:10s first gear is almost useless. 3:73s would be better all around.

I have an auto. When I installed 4:10s it took .3 tens of a sec. Off the quarter.

#3 ·
hmm im just kinda lookin for something to make my car more fun at a decent price, i want to have a gt sometime in like the next 2 years. so would you recommend just puttin the money in the savings account to start savin for a gt? cause im honestly getting really bored with a 6er. want something with a little more go power.

#8 ·
for a v6 your power band is VERY limited so I would personally think 4.10s are just to steep, also you get zero hp/tq increase but you do get amplification that the gears give you overall~

I had 3.73 in my 97 auto and I liked them, 4.10s would work but I think 3.73 for a manual v6 is a good set. Also if going from stock 2.73 expect a good gain in performance of about .5 tenths in the quarter~ there about

If your car is a weekend car then you may wish to try 4.10s, the first gear in t-5s is kinda short as is so you will be shifting very frequently lol and 70mph will be VERY high in the rpms and give drone if you have custom mufflers or exhaust.

#10 ·
also, your speedo gear wont fix the speedo... you may can do a dallas speedcal unit, if not then you will have to take the tail shaft out of the transmission and replace the gear there as well as the speedo gear~ this is an annoyance just FYI

#14 ·
3.73's period for a sixer. my buddy had 4.10's and he regretted it. yeah he would get me off the line but i was past him mid way second gear and kept pulling from there and your top speed will be like 95ish with 4.10's with a speed limiter. fyi we had very similar setups exception of exhaust (me :flo's him:magnaflow) and the gearing of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.