v6 speedometer help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 01stang232
v6 speedometer help.

ive been looking at a 150+ speedometer for my 2001 v6 but i dont know if theres any way to get it to read it right. i dont want to be going 50 and my speedo say 80 or whatever. any ideals?
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: v6 speedometer help.

I Dont Think U Will Have A Problem....i Dont Know For Sure Cause My Car Is A 92...i Went From An 85mph To A 160mph...it's Pretty Accurate...all I Did Was Swap Out Da Speedo...i'm Pretty Sure It Will Be Just A Straight Swap In Your Case As Well...again Im Not 100% On Dat. I Think The Only Time You Will Run Into The Speedo Not Reading Correctly Is If You Change Rear End Ratios....the Speed Sensor In The Tranny Is Geared For A Ratio Range.....like 3.73-4.10, When I Went From T-5 To Aod, I Had To Put The T-5 Speed Sensor In The Aod To Get The Speedo To Read Right Cause The Aod Originaly Had A 3.27 Rear End Attached To It.....i Think U Will Be Fine...but Fo Sho Ask Sumone Who Has A Later Model Stang
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

If you go from a 120 mph speedo to a 150 mph speedo it will read incorrectly. The MPH numbers will be moved to the left to squeeze in the extra 30+mph. The higher speedo you get, the higher it will be off.

1.) Fixes, get a tuner and tell it you have different rear end gears that will give you the proper ratio to set the speedo right.

Pros: Speedo reads correctly
Cons: You mileage on your odometer will not be correct because you are telling the computer you have different gears when you really don't.

2.) Take your car to a calibration place. I don't remember what they are called, but they can calibrate your speedo for the gauge you are using.

Pros: Speedo will read right, odometer will read right
Cons: No idea what the place that could do this would be called.

So, basically, those are your choices. Of course, you obviously also have the choice of leaving it as is and just knowing that when the speedo says you are going 70, you are really going 50...or whatever the shift ends up being.
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Hay 01stang, Just Get A Speedo "whole Dash Cluster" From A V-8, Mileage May Be Incorect Like Smurf Said.....the Only Reason For It To Read Incorrectly Is If U Change The Gear Ratio In The Rear End....easy Fix, Change Speed Sensor In The Trans For One That Matches Your Gear Ratio...any Stang V-8 (close To Year Of Your Car) Speed Sensor Is Fine, As Long As You Dont Go Past 4:10....anything Past That And U Will Have To Call A Tranny Shop To Get The Right Sensor, Or Do Wut Smurf Said......they Way I Am Tell'n U Is The Cheapest. If U Change The Rear Gear U Can Get The Speed Sensor From A Junk Yard......easy Swap..it's Held On By One Bolt On Tranny Case....i Went From 85 To 160, It Also Helps When Your Best Friend Rebuilds Transmissions For Police Cars And Taxi Cabs,,, I Got A Badd *** Aod!!!!
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to 01stang232

cool. well thanks for the help! ive got an entire gt cluster but i didnt want to put it on and not work... actualy ive got an entire gt for parts! i picked up a wrecked one from a friend with only body damage. but thanks.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can buy the GT gauge faces, white gauge faces if you want (look better than oem gt gauges) and just get your speedo calibrated (only 99+ can do this)

the v6 gauges look better and are easier to read anyway
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang