#2 misfire keeps coming back! Gggrrrr! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Unhappy #2 misfire keeps coming back! Gggrrrr!

Hi All! I have a 96 A/T V-6 that I have owned for only about 6months. Shortly after buying it I noticed it was misfiring at warm idle and the check engine light came on. I had it checked at Autozone and it showed #2 cylinder misfire. I replaced the coil, plugs and wires and added some prem gas and a bottle of lucas to clean out the system. Code cleared, misfire stopped!
So over the last few months, anytime I got down to about 1/4 of a tank of gas and romped on it to pass someone, it would start misfiring at idle again. I added more cleaner and prem. gas, checked plugs and wires and then it would clear up on its own.
Since it did this several times, I figured it had to be the fuel filter and maybe some crud was getting kicked up, so I have now replaced that as well. As of last week the misfiring is back and now the previous "fixes" aren't working to clear it up. I bought a new injector but I really am hoping it doesn't come to that (taking the fuel rail off is not something I want to do). I haven't checked the compression yet but it seems to be ok.
The misfire is only at warm idle; it smooths out when I am driving. The plugs are gapped correctly, there doesn't seem to be any arcing... Any suggestions would be sooooo appreciated!!
Sunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: #2 misfire keeps coming back! Gggrrrr!

you checked the plugs? also for gap etc (if you take em out replace them) also inspect plug wires for burn places etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 PM   #3

Thanks Spector, I've replaced the plugs, wires and coil twice now in 6mths. The plugs were gapped to 0.055. I am gonna try cleaning or possibly replace the MAF sensor tomorrow. Hopefully that will fix it for good this time cause I really do not want to have to do the injector!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota

You are spending a lot of money that you don't need to. The MAF will not cause 1 cylinder to misfire. Same with the coil, it is a waste spark coil so 2 cylinders fire together, if the coil was bad and causing cylinder 2 to misfire, cylinder 6 would misfire too. It is probably the injector, get a pressurized fuel injection cleaner or pull the injectors and have a shop clean them. The in the tank cleaners generally do not work well. Also the reason the misfire stopped after the cleaner with premium gas is probably only because of the higher octane.

Official Project Site - www.mustangjames.blogspot.com
James02Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Sounds like an injector issue since it's only on that cylinder. Especially since you have done wires and plugs.

It's really not that big of a deal to pull the fuel rails and just have all 6 cleaned.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

did you swap out the coil pack? that fixed my misfire before

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by James02Mustang View Post
You are spending a lot of money that you don't need to. The MAF will not cause 1 cylinder to misfire. Same with the coil, it is a waste spark coil so 2 cylinders fire together, if the coil was bad and causing cylinder 2 to misfire, cylinder 6 would misfire too. It is probably the injector, get a pressurized fuel injection cleaner or pull the injectors and have a shop clean them. The in the tank cleaners generally do not work well. Also the reason the misfire stopped after the cleaner with premium gas is probably only because of the higher octane.
Not always true James. I've replace plenty of coils with only one misfire per two cylinders.

I agree though have your injectors and fuel rail blown out and cleaned. I would also make sure there is no damage to any of the wiring or harness for the fuel system.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info, guys! I really appreciate your input and I will do as recommended and check the injector. I have done most of my own work on my cars but I haven't yet pulled the fuel rail off and cleaned or replaced injectors. I guess I am letting my car intimidate me LOL Ok, so I am going to have to wait till I am off this coming weekend but I will let y'all know what I find!
Thanks again,
Kimberly~

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang