Shifting trouble in my 2001 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-17-2007, 07:07 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to mustangchica
Unhappy Shifting trouble in my 2001

I have 2001 v6 mustang that is having trouble shifting. At time you have to shove really hard to get it into first and kinda have to yank it hard to get into 2nd this is with the clutch all the way in? It varies from day to day some days it's worse than others. Though it doesn't seem to be any worse on cold days. My friends seem to think that it has something to do with the transmission? The clutch was replaced this june so I wouldn't think it was that. I'm not a clutch rider either so I don't think I've worn it out. The soonest the clutch will engage is about halfway down.
I also have a problem with the ABS and traction control lights being on and the 2 not working. What would cause this?
The last thing is I have this really strange sweet smelling smell that has taken over my car. My friend thought could have been my heater core but, I think he ruled that out. Is there any hoses or anything that I should check or that it could be? It's a really strong smell that is the strongest right behind the gear shift? Weird? Any help with this would be great. This stuff is driving me crazy. THANKS!
mustangchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Shifting trouble in my 2001

I know in my 2001 I had to take the slack out of the clutch petal, the petal was loose and when I pushed it in I was not pulling enough of the clutch cable so the clutch was not going into neutral fully, thus its much harder to shift the car. This can also lead to clutch/transmission issue of course.

I would purchase a clutch quadrent and firewall adjuster (UPS makes em and they really are all nearly the same...) and install them. This will allow you to take the slack out of the clutch cable so your clutch petal engages more fully (pulls more of the clutch cable) when you push it down.

The side effect from this is the clutch petal WILL be higher up... (its not that bad) basically lift it up with your foot now until it wont go up any more and you will see how high it will sit. If you have a ton of flop in the petal (where it sits to where you can raise it up to by lifting up on the back side of it) then thats probably your issue or its definatly caused some other issue thats developed.

When you install the firewall adjuster and quadrent you can then turn the firewall adjuster to take slack out of the clutch cable. You should have a half inch of pushing the clutch petal in before the clutch begins to slip

(to tell if the clutch is slipping hold at a constant 55mph (foot on gas) and ease the clutch in if you push a half inch and the rpms start to climb (clutch starting to slip) your good, if you push LESS than this its bad, so find that sweet spot.

If the clutch petal is to high you can get a clutch petal height adjuster kit for pretty cheap, it just changes the stop location of how high the petal can come up~ from Maximum Motorsports :: The Leader In Mustang Performance Suspensions and install it then just re adjust the clutch petal.

This would be the cheapest route to go~ if it still is happening then you can look further into it. (Might want to inspect the clutch fork and make sure its on the pivot ball stud mount fully (its the thing on the transmission that the clutch cable is attached to and it is pulled in/out to push the clutch pressure plate in and out.

If you have questions about installation of the two products its easy, just ask away.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

sweet smell? not 100% sure check your fluids, especially brake fluid for low levels indicating a leak, might be transmission fluid as well.. you ever changed it??? you should every couple years, it costs 8 bucks and takes 3/4 quarts of fluid and is VERY easy to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I think your sweet smell might be the heater core as well now for the ABS and Traction Control you would more than likely get those scanned to see whats up.Now on to the transmission it could be two things either the syncros or gear teeth are worn on one and two or the shift rail is some how damaged making one and two troublesome to shift.Also how long has this been going on before or after the clutch was installed?
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

^^ I would check the clutch cable and adjust it first, might solve the entire shifting issue... unless you like spending a ton of money to rebuilt a transmission just to find out it wasnt the issue when you put it back in.

You can manually adjust the stock quadrent to do a quick check~ i can walk you through that as well if you are interested.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

dang looks like we were both typing a reply at the same time
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I didn't see it in Specs reply, but it's early and I could have missed it. If you haven't replaced the stock clutch quadrant, you can adjust the clutch cable by lifting the clutch pedal up towards the dash..it will take a bit of effort, but it will lift up. You should hear a click or 2...it is the POS stock quadrant adjusting for any cable stretch. That should help the clutch not disengaging until halfway down. This is ford's suggested procedure every so often...instead of using something other than a POS plastic quadrant.

I do suggest getting a new quadrant though as was suggested. Spec meant to say UPR makes a good one...that is the one I have as well. It isn't very expensive and will make the overall clutch feel much more smooth. And like he said, they are pretty much all the same, so it is up to you on who you want to go with.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

well those guys got u on clutch issues...i was gonna suggest the shift syncronizer too....im not sure bout the sweet smell, im not sure bout yo generation stang but on mine it has a weep hole that exits (outside) into the firewall, if your friend is look'n for a wet passenger side floor board he is not gonna find it. i think u should maybe have sumone else check for coolant leak...im rebuild'n a whole motor cause of a $18 heater core , i swapped my t-5 for an aod so i wont pretend to be knowledgable about that subject......the heater core weep hole is located approx 24" or so from the trans shifter, and would explain y u r smell'n coolant in the cabin of the car........just my opinion...pretty sure sumeone here will disagree though.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

if you want to adjust the stock quadrent you need to flip upside down and slide under the dash. Put one hand on the clutch and push it to the floor and with the other hand hold the quadrent where the clutch cable attaches and slowly ease up on the clutch petal while holding force on the stock quadrent (the stock quadrent is located above the gas petal/brake area and is half moon shaped and has a little gear on the back of it called the pawl)

as you get to the end of its travel with the clutch petal the quadrent will click and take up slack, do this until the clutch petal is firm at the top and test drive it, check to make sure you have at least a half inch of travel as specified in my first post, do NOT touch the underside of the clutch petal or it will unadjust, it will probably unadjust anyway but you can check to see if this helps before spending the money on the quadrent/firewall adjuster.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if you want to adjust the stock quadrent you need to flip upside down and slide under the dash. Put one hand on the clutch and push it to the floor and with the other hand hold the quadrent where the clutch cable attaches and slowly ease up on the clutch petal while holding force on the stock quadrent (the stock quadrent is located above the gas petal/brake area and is half moon shaped and has a little gear on the back of it called the pawl)

as you get to the end of its travel with the clutch petal the quadrent will click and take up slack, do this until the clutch petal is firm at the top and test drive it, check to make sure you have at least a half inch of travel as specified in my first post, do NOT touch the underside of the clutch petal or it will unadjust, it will probably unadjust anyway but you can check to see if this helps before spending the money on the quadrent/firewall adjuster.

No you don't...just lift up on the clutch pedal until it clicks and then get an aftermarket adjuster. Forget all that other stuff. :box:
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
No you don't...just lift up on the clutch pedal until it clicks and then get an aftermarket adjuster. Forget all that other stuff. :box:
i'm call'n u if i put my t-5 back in
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
That will somewhat work, but it wont take enough slack to fix the issue, my 01 would never self adjust at all enough to take up the horrid amound of slack it had in it, I had to force it to take up the slack. Unless her petal is just horribly adjusted it wont make the issue any better. Ford used a clutch cable thats to long in the 99-04 v6s
Old 01-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

I'm willing to bet it has never been lifted to do any adjusting which is why I think the lift will help 90+% of the halfway issue she is having. It will do enough until a new quadrant can be purchased instead of crawling up under the steering wheel and then having to crawl under there again later. Save the PITA stuff for a one time and done situation.

If the lifting doesn't fix the play problem enough, then yes, do all the rest of that unless an upgrade can be had soon.

Side note: UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster - 59.99 Unlimited Performance Racing Products On-Line
Old 01-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

It could, I tried as hard as I could in my 01 to get it to take up the slack and it would do nothing. I even had to take up the slack in my 03 cuz the damn petal was WAY to far down making it hard to shift.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

^^ Put some muscle behind it when lifting the pedal silly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang