Some kind of knock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272
Some kind of knock

Hey guys. Well I have this very unusual situation with my car. I start it up in the morning and it sounds fine, no weird noises, or anything. When the engine gets to around the operating temperature, if I pull the ebrake and keep my car in Drive and I get out and touch the throttle cable under my hood to raise the RPMs, I can hear a pretty definate knock, it sounds like metal on metal but kind of not, me and my dad agreed our best guess would be a stuck valve, I checked the PCV valve, and its getting spark, ive been reading on spark knock but I dont think it would knock under the slightest amount of load, although if I leave the car in park and I do the same thing, I hear it very very VERY faintly, almost cannot hear it. So evidently the problem is much bigger while there is load on the engine. Most of the time when my engine is normal temp and off. Ill run in the gas station come back and start my car and for a brief few seconds, it sounds like marbles being tossed around in my engine but then that noise completely stops and I dont hear it at all, wether the engine be under load or not or even WOT. Im trying to figure this out because its weird, in my opinion. Im going to take it to a local trusted shop and see what they think it is. But of course I wanted to come on here and explain the problem to you guys because you guys have been there ever since I got my first stang. Ideas? Oh yea, and I just did a complete tune up 2 months ago because a spark plug wire kicked the bucket so I decided to do a whole tune up, and yes I am running 93 Octane.

2007 Windveil Blue Mustang GT
Mods : Intake, Stubby antenna
Rolls are for fat chicks
Ibanezplayer272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Some kind of knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezplayer272 View Post
Hey guys. Well I have this very unusual situation with my car. I start it up in the morning and it sounds fine, no weird noises, or anything. When the engine gets to around the operating temperature, if I pull the ebrake and keep my car in Drive and I get out and touch the throttle cable under my good to raise the RPMs, I can hear a pretty definate knock, it sounds like metal on metal but kind of not, me and my dad agreed our best guess would be a stuck valve, I checked the PCV valve, and its getting spark, ive been reading on spark knock but I dont think it would knock under the slightest amount of load, although if I leave the car in park and I do the same thing, I hear it very very VERY faintly, almost cannot hear it. So evidently the problem is much bigger while there is load on the engine. Most of the time when my engine is normal temp and off. Ill run in the gas station come back and start my car and for a brief few seconds, it sounds like marbles being tossed around in my engine but then that noise completely stops and I dont hear it at all, wether the engine be under load or not or even WOT. Im trying to figure this out because its weird, in my opinion. Im going to take it to a local trusted shop and see what they think it is. But of course I wanted to come on here and explain the problem to you guys because you guys have been there ever since I got my first stang. Ideas? Oh yea, and I just did a complete tune up 2 months ago because a spark plug wire kicked the bucket so I decided to do a whole tune up, and yes I am running 93 Octane.
Sounds exactly like my car. If it's anything like mine it will get louder and louder as time goes by. I never have figured out what is causing it. One mechanic mentioned it could be a wrist pin that has come loose.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ibanezplayer272 Send a message via MSN to Ibanezplayer272

Hmm, well ill take it to a shop around here and see what they have to say and ill get back up here and post an update, thanks for the help Brent.

Rolls are for fat chicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well Brent. I didnt get a chance to take it to a shop so I just decided to try some stuff. I tried cleaning my MAF and that didnt work. So I was just looking around and I remembered my TPS was acting up because my car idles above 1000RPMS sometimes in park or neutral. SO. I started the car, pulled the E-brake and shifted into drive. got out and went under the hood, slowly pulled the accelerator cable to make sure the knock was still there. I then UNPLUGGED the plug that plugs into the TPS, and I nearly crapped my pants when I started pulling the accelerator cable... NO KNOCK!! I was like, WHAT? So I plugged it in again, and IT WAS KNOCKING. So I unplugged it and voila, NO KNOCK UNDER LOAD! I ordered a TPS from advanced and im going to go pick it up at advanced tomorrow morning. I am SO RELIEVED it is nothing internal. I am going to replace it tomorrow and come back up here and post the results but im almost SURE this will be the fix because I read up online that a very dirty TPS or worn out one will actually cause detonation and pinging. I am recommending you try it out Brent, hopefully its the same thing with yours!!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 01-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #5
Regular

Well its worth a shot. Good to hear yours is fixed

Reddit
Old 01-30-2007, 07:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via AIM to MidnightSpeed Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightSpeed

Before you spend the money on TPS do the same thing except this time pull each spark plug wire one at a time to see if it goes away. (If one of them causes the knock to go away you've thrown a rod)
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSpeed View Post
Before you spend the money on TPS do the same thing except this time pull each spark plug wire one at a time to see if it goes away. (If one of them causes the knock to go away you've thrown a rod)
I think I'm in love.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSpeed View Post
I know I haven't thrown a rod. No thrown rod lasts 3 years with me driving it. Plus the knock isn't consistent.

I'm going to pull the TPS wire off and see if it stops. I have my doubts though. The weird thing is the first time we tried to put my new engine in something we did caused the knock to basically go away completely. I couldn't hear it anymore at highway speeds. Yet now it sounds like someone poured marbles in my engine when I am at highway speeds.

Reddit
Old 01-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Whats the TPS ??
Old 01-30-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Throttle Position Sensor

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Thanks,
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38special View Post
Whats the TPS ??

the reports that peter never got done on time
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
the reports that peter never got done on time
He also had some issues with the new cover sheets...not sure if he ever got the memo or not.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
Regular

I just went to Autozone and bought me a new TPS. Not about to put it on tonight since its about -1234 degrees outside. It only cost me 25 dollars so I figured it is worth a shot.

Reddit
Old 01-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Alright it was a dick and a half to get the damn sensor off. I had to unbolt the throttle body and just kept hammering the sensor until it starting breaking and pry most of it off and that loosened the screws. Anyways. I put the new on one, and my engine runs SO much more quieter now, no tick, no knock, just a clean sounding, running engine. HOWEVER. I did not know that it must be caliberated. I went to go drive around to see how it was and I felt the transmission shift harder then usual. So I was like hmm. so I was going about 45-50 and I floored it, and it didnt downshift at all, its not getting the right voltage, so I called up ford and they said they can set it up for me but they asked to have the new one on already so they can just set it up when I bring it in. Im going after 2 thats when he said I could come in. But man am I happy about how much quieter my engine runs. No noise at all, im shocked that a TPS could cause all that. He said about an hour and half of labor would be about $73. He said it could take about an hour and a half to two hours. Why? I dont know but I really dont care right now because I dont know how to set up a TPS and I just want it DONE. Anyway im glad I could get my car to run so much better by replacing a sensor. I'll come back with another update after they calibrate it, till then my friends, thanks for the help!

Rolls are for fat chicks
Old 01-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #16
Regular

That's weird. Mine is self calibrated

Reddit
Old 01-31-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That's weird. Mine is self calibrated
Your's is old technology...you know how the new stuff is, needs to be as complicated as possible = job security for someone.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
and yes I am running 93 Octane
Not to be a dick ,but are you tuned for 93 ?? Running a higher octane then your tuned for can cause issues

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM   #19
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Not to be a dick ,but are you tuned for 93 ?? Running a higher octane then your tuned for can cause issues
He may have just done it to try to eliminate pinging

Reddit
Old 02-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He may have just done it to try to eliminate pinging
Yes that is what I did. Its still knocking by the way, it MIGHT just be bad gas because I put octane booster in it and it quieted a little. I was wondering, if a bad coil pack could cause detonation, or pre-ignition? cause my car is crawling up to 98,000 miles. I did the plugs a couple months after I got the car so they have been in there for about... 9-10 months? also did wires about a month ago because one of them gave out and car started misfiring horribly bad and threw a the service engine soon light at me.

Rolls are for fat chicks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang