Is this true? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Nevada
Posts: 69
Is this true?

I just bought an '04 v6 a couple days ago and I talk to this guy at midas about getting duel exhaust and he says he can do it but he said he cant make them true duels because that would be illegal. Is this guy full or **** or is it true?
I got a friend who got true duels done at the same place a couple years without any hassle so im kinda skeptical here
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 232
Re: Is this true?

i don t think is illegal, i have a 2001 v6 with it, and no problem
carlosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Herbstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Florida
Posts: 2,932
Re: Is this true?

Check your state laws. If it's illegal go find a small shop that's willing to do it I have true dual on my 04
__________________

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Danger Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 5,187
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
Re: Is this true?

As long as you are not messing with the cats you are legal. The exception might be in Oregon, but not totally sure on that.
__________________
Danger Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Is this true?

definatly check your state law... but it should not be illegal
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 317
Re: Is this true?

Tx emissions laws are almost as strict as Cali. i got mine dualled out for Christmas and it is totally legal. you figure that you have two cats on there anyway. all they have to do is cut off the Y and add on an additional muffler.
__________________
~Roman~

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular
 
SpectorV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Alabama
Posts: 26,049
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Is this true?

they make bolt on dual exhaust kits (no welding) that should be legal and have a number on them showing that they are legal, if all else fails you can just do that.
__________________
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Nevada
Posts: 69
Re: Is this true?

I live in nevada. I have no idea what the laws are out here regarding exhaust systems and stuff like that but like I said, I know someone who got true duels done at the same place im looking at so I dont know.
I find it kinda hard to believe prostitution is legal here but getting duels on my car is a no no.
I'll try to look for some other shops around town and see what they have to say. If none of them can help me, I might just have to drive to california. Hopefully there dont have the same law there
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Nevada
Posts: 69
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
they make bolt on dual exhaust kits (no welding) that should be legal and have a number on them showing that they are legal, if all else fails you can just do that.
Would that be more expensive than getting true duels or no?
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2006
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 350
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang
Re: Is this true?

Ok think of it this way gt's come factory with true duals.
__________________
2004 mach 1 stock and staying that way.
1996stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris098 View Post
I just bought an '04 v6 a couple days ago and I talk to this guy at midas about getting duel exhaust and he says he can do it but he said he cant make them true duels because that would be illegal. Is this guy full or **** or is it true?
I got a friend who got true duels done at the same place a couple years without any hassle so im kinda skeptical here
If you want to get down to technicalities, in most, if not all, states, it is illegal to remove properly functioning catalytic converters from a vehicle. This includes replacing stock cats with high flow cats as well as changing out an entire stock H/Y pipe out for an after market pipe.

This is why the shop says it is illegal...because technically, they aren't supposed to remove your cats from your car because they are still functioning properly.

99% of the time shops don't care and just do it...but every once in a while, a shop will pop up and say no. Maybe they are due for an audit or something...and want to abide by the rules or something.

If you get a bolt in system that doesn't require any welding, their should be no reason you couldn't do this yourself. However, I am not up on the v6 exhaust systems to know if they are like mine that just require unclamping some pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996stang View Post
Ok think of it this way gt's come factory with true duals.
That is the point, they come from the factory that way...it doesn't require removing the stock cats to make it dual.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

In addition:

It is not illegal for you to have it on your car...it is illegal for the shop to do it.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 317
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
If you want to get down to technicalities, in most, if not all, states, it is illegal to remove properly functioning catalytic converters from a vehicle. This includes replacing stock cats with high flow cats as well as changing out an entire stock H/Y pipe out for an after market pipe.

This is why the shop says it is illegal...because technically, they aren't supposed to remove your cats from your car because they are still functioning properly.

99% of the time shops don't care and just do it...but every once in a while, a shop will pop up and say no. Maybe they are due for an audit or something...and want to abide by the rules or something.

If you get a bolt in system that doesn't require any welding, their should be no reason you couldn't do this yourself. However, I am not up on the v6 exhaust systems to know if they are like mine that just require unclamping some pipes.



That is the point, they come from the factory that way...it doesn't require removing the stock cats to make it dual.
my stock cats stayed on the car. they just snipped the Y off and added on the 2nd muffler and tailpipe.
__________________
~Roman~

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
my stock cats stayed on the car. they just snipped the Y off and added on the 2nd muffler and tailpipe.
Which would be completely legal for the shop to do because all you did was replace piping and mufflers which are fully legal to do.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 317
Re: Is this true?

so why can't they do that to his? something isn't making sense here.
__________________
~Roman~

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
so why can't they do that to his? something isn't making sense here.
They can as long as they reuse the stock cats
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Fishers Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,507
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Re: Is this true?

yeah I run true. keep the cats neway, 6ers sound funny with out cats
__________________
Charles
2006 F150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8
Fishers Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
bbunt302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Re: Is this true?

It's true. Removing properly functioning catalytic converters is illegal.

But hey, laws were made to be broken. Otherwise, they'd be useless.
__________________

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
It's true. Removing properly functioning catalytic converters is illegal.

But hey, laws were made to be broken. Otherwise, they'd be useless.
I don't believe in breaking the law...you should never remove cats from your car...EVER!!!!!
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM   #20
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: Is this true?

:wstupid:
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
timpryor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 676
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
Tx emissions laws are almost as strict as Cali. i got mine dualled out for Christmas and it is totally legal. you figure that you have two cats on there anyway. all they have to do is cut off the Y and add on an additional muffler.
true, however the laws aren't enforced with as much "passion" as in californistan

and as for the main question, he's full of **** it should be legal as long as you arn't messing with the cats
__________________
"The LORD shall judge the people:judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me." PSALM 7:8

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #22
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timpryor View Post

and as for the main question, he's full of **** it should be legal as long as you arn't messing with the cats
THANK YOU for repeating what has been thoroughly covered already!
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
timpryor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Region: Texas
Posts: 676
Re: Is this true?

not a problem
__________________
"The LORD shall judge the people:judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me." PSALM 7:8

In Texas? check out www.lonestarstangs.com
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Fishers Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,507
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Re: Is this true?

u cobra guys think the same way hahahahaha "dont touch the cats" haha




jk guys wish my car was 1/2 of the HP a urs
__________________
Charles
2006 F150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8
Fishers Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang View Post
u cobra guys think the same way hahahahaha "dont touch the cats" haha




jk guys wish my car was 1/2 of the HP a urs
It is all because we cobra guys are all very mature and responsible...and realize you should never ever remove the cats from your car. It is our duty to lead by example.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kansas City
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4,043
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
It is all because we cobra guys are all very mature and responsible...and realize you should never ever remove the cats from your car. It is our duty to lead by example.
This is true, having cats on is a necessity in today's over polluted world to keep all the tree huggin' hippies happy! Id never go without cats on a car... ever.
__________________

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:26 PM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
This is true, having cats on is a necessity in today's over polluted world to keep all the tree huggin' hippies happy! Id never go without cats on a car... ever.
:patriot:
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 317
Re: Is this true?

slightly off topic question...

when will my mufflers stop stinking everytime i drive fast? i can smell them whenever i get out of my car. is that normal for it to still stink after 1 1/2 months?
__________________
~Roman~

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
bluemustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,192
Re: Is this true?

mine kepted doing that for a few months then one day i finally realized my exhaust doesnt smell like new exhaust anymore
__________________
1989 5.0 - Mustang Brandy the NOW It can Barely Idle B**ch
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/2019/3437/42512.jpg
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0 - Yeah Its Gotta Baby Dick Lift
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Region: Texas
Posts: 317
Re: Is this true?

good to know. thanks blue.

now back to the original post already in progress.
__________________
~Roman~

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
rydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Virginia
Posts: 521
Send a message via MSN to rydog
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang View Post
yeah I run true. keep the cats neway, 6ers sound funny with out cats
Mine doesnt sound funny it makes a whistling noise
__________________

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
Fishers Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,507
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydog View Post
Mine doesnt sound funny it makes a whistling noise
yeah well let me use ur turbo and i will say the same thing
__________________
Charles
2006 F150 4x4 with the 5.4L V8
Fishers Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Nevada
Posts: 69
Re: Is this true?

Thanks for the help. I looked around and found a few shops that would do it for me.
Another question though, as I look through some of these threads here, I see some people saying they payed like $250-$350 for their duel exhaust, but the 5 or 6 shops that I already checked out are quoting at least $500 so naturally im getting the feeling that these guys are trying to assrape me here.
Is $500 even close to a reasonable price or should I keep looking harder?
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular
 
PureVenom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 7,212
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris098 View Post
Thanks for the help. I looked around and found a few shops that would do it for me.
Another question though, as I look through some of these threads here, I see some people saying they payed like $250-$350 for their duel exhaust, but the 5 or 6 shops that I already checked out are quoting at least $500 so naturally im getting the feeling that these guys are trying to assrape me here.
Is $500 even close to a reasonable price or should I keep looking harder?
$500 for what exactly though? I know you said you are going dual, but, what exactly are you doing to get to dual? Is it custom fab work, or buying dual exhaust pieces? If it was already mentioned, I am too lazy to read back over it.

If they are talking $500 just to install it and you provide the parts...install it yourself. Hell, if you are buying a mid pipe and cat back as complete items, just install it yourself anyhow...not that hard.

If that $500 is including the parts and it is custom fab work, then it seems about right.
__________________
"When I know more, I'll be forthcoming. Or I won't be forthcoming, and I'll be honestly deceptive." - Les Miles
PureVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Nevada
Posts: 69
Re: Is this true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
$500 for what exactly though? I know you said you are going dual, but, what exactly are you doing to get to dual? Is it custom fab work, or buying dual exhaust pieces? If it was already mentioned, I am too lazy to read back over it.

If they are talking $500 just to install it and you provide the parts...install it yourself. Hell, if you are buying a mid pipe and cat back as complete items, just install it yourself anyhow...not that hard.

If that $500 is including the parts and it is custom fab work, then it seems about right.
Yea, $500 for the parts and installation
chris098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
True Duals Taywi Classic Mustangs 10 12-09-2006 04:30 PM
Uhh.. True or not true? Ibanezplayer272 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 12 05-04-2006 05:00 PM
could it be true oaktonarcher The Bar 7 01-26-2005 08:18 PM
this is true STEVE The Bar 103 10-17-2004 12:38 PM
this true STEVE The Bar 4 07-18-2004 12:32 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.