One last problem, help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
One last problem, help.

It figures that just a few short weeks before college that Service Engine light comes on. I got the code pulled and they guy at autozone said I needed a new EGR valve and of course under his recommendation I bought some Lucas cleaning junk that probably won't help, but oh well.

So my question is, should I replace the part? How much will it cost and is it a difficult procedure?
blue-saleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Re: One last problem, help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-saleen View Post
It figures that just a few short weeks before college that Service Engine light comes on. I got the code pulled and they guy at autozone said I needed a new EGR valve and of course under his recommendation I bought some Lucas cleaning junk that probably won't help, but oh well.

So my question is, should I replace the part? How much will it cost and is it a difficult procedure?
As far as the EGR valve goes there could be several problems causing that trouble code to happen. My mechanic, explained to my brother, that sometimes it's as easy as cleaning them out, sometimes it's a sensor, or it could be the valve it's self.

I would recommend having a trustworthy mechanic look at it. They will at least diagnose the problem correctly. You don't want to drive too long with that problem as it will get worse and lead to a more costly repair and not to mention a failed emissions test.

If it is the EGR valve, I think the average out the door cost Diagnostic fee+ Labor+part is around $200-300 not too bad. It shouldn't be too hard of a job.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha you are talking to a poor college kid. I dont have a trusted mechanic or $200-300 to drop. How much is just the part? Do you think I could do it myself?
What problems will come from driving on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Hahaha you are talking to a poor college kid. I dont have a trusted mechanic or $200-300 to drop. How much is just the part? Do you think I could do it myself?
What problems will come from driving on it?
I hear you it's like one thing after another . I finally get the money to think about moding the stang and the dog tears her CCL. Needless to say all that money went to her .

I just looked at the manual for mine which is a little different than yours and it doesn't seem too hard. I looked at Advance Auto Parts and they want $57 for the valve. I quoted a 2002 V6 3.8 I didn't see what year you had. On the 4.0 it's a pretty easy replacement.

I can scan the page and send it to you they really explain it in great detail. Let me know. In summary, it regulates the Exhaust to Air ratio to help with combustion and prevent NOx (oxides of nitrogen) build up.
Source:
Chilton Automotive Books For the 2005-2007 Mustang.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I'll try picking up a hanes manual. Autozone told me the part was $40. I just hope I don't replace it, and it wasn't really the egr valve that needed fixing.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas

I just had that code pop up too. And no it's a wire and 2 bolts right on top of the engine. Very easy fix. And the mechanic i work for said that it's about 100 bucks. But the EGR sensor just lets your car know how much gas and air mixure you need. So if your's is out your car won't have as good as performance and will get a little less MPG but not something you absolutly need to fix right away. I've been running with mine out for about 3 months now.
CodySchraad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Maybe I'll try picking up a hanes manual. Autozone told me the part was $40. I just hope I don't replace it, and it wasn't really the egr valve that needed fixing.
That would be the best way to go. They do come in handy. I bought my mine off Amazon cheaper than the store sells em. I would do what the Autozone person suggested and with the manual it shouldn't be too hard.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Ooo i had that same problem - i changed my egr and the light still kept coming up, it cost me like 400 if not more to fix at the dealer. Ill check the papers n let you know what it was, it wasnt something i could do on my own because it required taking a lot of things out to get to the problem.

The egr is easy to change, you can do it on your own, cross your finger n hope that thats really the problem tho!

Back when my light turned on i chanegd the egr even the air pump n other things - but the light stayed on, so i decided that before spending more and more money id just pay n take it to the dealer n see exactly what the problem was. Sometimes thats the way to go!

2000 MUSTANG V6
2001 MUSTANG GT
2014 MUSTANG GT
CHILE10_STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I just called today to get a quote. The mechanic I spoke to said that 95% of the time it is actually the dpfe sensor. He said he could change the sensor and clean up the valve with a total quote of $120 or $140ish if it was the valve and not the sensor. I figure that is pretty cheap. I would like to take care of it. I have a 10hr trip I have to take and then get her ready to store for college so I might as well take care of it now so I don't have to worry about it in December, when it is "cold"
Old 08-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
I just called today to get a quote. The mechanic I spoke to said that 95% of the time it is actually the dpfe sensor. He said he could change the sensor and clean up the valve with a total quote of $120 or $140ish if it was the valve and not the sensor. I figure that is pretty cheap. I would like to take care of it. I have a 10hr trip I have to take and then get her ready to store for college so I might as well take care of it now so I don't have to worry about it in December, when it is "cold"
Thats not bad at all.. It's worth the time investment plus it will be done right. I've found the local Ford dealer cheaper than independts sometimes. I'd still recomend getting the manual. Look at Amazon you can get it for $7
Old 08-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So I took it to a mechanic, it is the dpfe sensor and two hoses. The guy told me the sensor would cost $140!!!!!!! I convinced him to use the one I bought from Autozone for $70 but he told me that the after market companies don't have the technology and that this sensor would go bad in 1-1 1/2 years... What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang