V6 Dual Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Question V6 Dual Exhaust

Alright, I cannot find any visuals for the bottom of a mustang and what each system would look like under a V6. I want to get true dual exhaust and understand a 1 peice H-pipe built for mustangs would help facilitate any GT take off's for my 2002. In order to install that H-pipe do they cut the Y pipe right after the headers, and if so, then do i have to buy another cat convert or should the GT take off already have 2 cats & 2 muffs. I want to stick with 2 1/4 inch tubing since I know thats best for v6 performance since I dont want to loose any torq due to lack of pressure, but I can only find 2 1/2 from a catalog.

I wanted to just give up and get the MAC cat back dual exhaust w/resinator tips that has everyting coated blk for rust reasons. But it's on national back order. Priced at $329 S&H waived. Best price/best preformance. I dont want to buy 1 sidways muffler and put 2 tips on it (Flowmaster). Any exhaust enthusiast want to put in there 2 cents?? Looking for the best direction that I can picture in my head since I cannot find anything to look at that is already set up.
chris7869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: V6 Dual Exhaust

Ok, let me see if I have this straight, you have a 2002 v6, and you want dual exhaust.

Ok.

You can have an exhaust shop cut your y-pipe and run two pipes down each side independent of each other, meeting with the factory driver side pipes and running a new one down the passenger side. When you do this they can also put in new mufflers and weld tips of your choice on the end.

Or...you can buy a GT take off exhaust, which will require them to cut your y-pipe off and weld about 2 feet of pipe in place on each side to connect the factory piping with the take-off exhaust then fabbing some hangers for the rest of the pipes.

Or...you can buy a bolt-up system as you mentioned like the mac system that bolts to the y-pipe and leaves you without true duals as you said you wanted.

I ran mach-1 takeoffs on my car for a while, welded up true duals. Then I cut everything from the mufflers back off and ran a set of mufflers dumped before the axle. Then I put the piping back in place and ran it back out the back with new tips. Most recently I've put an offroad x in place of the factory midpipe.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i had a shop custom fab from right before the pipes come together back to tips in stainless steel 2.25 pipe with flowmasters and it was around 300 bucks. Dont expect any real gains in performance, its there just not very much
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

For now, I think I like the first idea lowflyen, thanks! But about the "H" pipe,neccesary? I have read that becuase the way the engine & headers are set upon a v6, an H pipe would be meaningless (something about "it" coming out of the same place unlike a v8 which would require x or h pipe. I saw an add online for a v6 2002 for $80 1 peice bolt on H, quoting it wasnt ideal to go with 2 pipes welded together for the H. Should I bother w/the expense or just put that towards the project.

Just to clarify, I would buy 1 more catylitic converter, 2 mufflers, 2 tips of choice, but for the remainder of the piping (2 1/4" from cat to muffler on passngr side & the one that goes over the axel? Do I have the muffler shop bend one there (mandrel). What should I leave to the muffler shop (pipes,hangers,etc.) and what should I bring is my main question I guess. Dont want to get "bent" over at the shop just because they can. Went to midas last time, didnt car for the job they did w/my Hookers on another car. Love soaking up knowledge, it's just hard to find.

Also, really just looking for a good throaty sound that isnt mellow. Would going 2 1/2 at any point matter in that case? I understand the HP gains might be minimal either way, but with CAI and Dual exhaust, a chip should make the 2 realize the true gain due to the air/fuel mix with the new intake . I've seen a dyno on a v6 2000 3rd gear, and only under the chip, the 2 bolt ons jumped 10hp + torq. The curve was nice, identical settings. If going for sound whats recommended that isnt an arm and a leg like some I have seen. Flow 40 series?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Why do you want to buy 1 more cat?

The v6 mustang already has a cat on each side and a precat on each side.
Our's:
Old 02-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

i have always been told not to do true dual exhaust. not gunna be benefitial for 6er.
maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I didnt know it had a "precat on each side already. I have no diagraming to look at. I bought the manual (lol) but no diagrams. I thought you had to have 2 cats when you ran true dual exhaust, but if you say I dont need any more than I already have, then great! However if Max is right, then I guess why bother with the expense other than just knowing its truly dual? I'd rather just go for tone if its just going to be a wash either way? Thats the magic question?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

i was told that you will loose some hp/tq if you go true dual bcuz the 6er needs more backpressure n stuff since its only got 6 cyl. believe me, i did a couple things to my 6 and i was plannin on doin true dual but after finding that out, i decided against it. got a flowmaster weld in and toss that on. thats what i did and it really gave it a very nice tone. what all have you done to it so far?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I guess I just want the best sound in the end since the HP/Tq gains/loses are debatable. So what would have a better grumble would be my next question, true dual, catback dual, or just a really good resinating muffler w/2 unique tips that enhance the sound? The only mod on my car currently are Exterior/interior only, Just staring on the performance mods, CAI install tomorrow, exhaust when I map out a plan. Then chip - rear gears 3.73 for 5speed I believe & TLok, stop that one wheel crap. Then work in a new TB and maybe ad a EGR spacer, anyone have any objections to the EGA spacers out there. I want to lower it an inch for greater stability. Cant decide If I want heavy rims or just stock 16's. I dont feel like buying really expensive light weight rims when I could put that money elsewhere. Just trying to get move the angles. I dont plan on puting the TLok & Gears, I have researched it and you have to buy more that just that it seems to recalibrate,lube, etc. so I want to find out more about the subject any way I can. However from looking at threads, it seems to be the majority order of things. pic in prof.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:25 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

i think ya need to reword the last part of all ^. cant understand what ur tryin to say. want the best grumble? take all the money your gunna be putting out for mods, trade the 6er in and put it into a GT. remember, you got a 6, it can only grumble so much.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

i have true dual and have not lost power. i did gain some. the v6 already has 2 cats. for some stupid reason, of which i have yet to understand, the v6 runs dual from the manifold to a Y pipe to one single muffler. they cut my Y off and ran additional piping down the pass side from there and replaced my muffs with two flowmasters. no H pipe necessary. 400.00 was all i was charged.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

thats good and all if you didnt lose any. but have you dynoed it to get r/t numbers? you might have lost like 3-6 hp, which you wouldnt feel, but would see on the sheet.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

I have true duals !!!!!!!!!!! I gained about 3 HP Your not gonna see alot of gain, You don't lose HP/Tq it just get moved up the power curve

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

yea but did u do other mods along with it, or did you throw on the true dual and dyno it?
Old 02-09-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Okay somewhat conflicting info, but I get the point. Just want a good sound at the end of the day. Whether I gain or loose 2 to 4 hp or even gain that much, I just want a throaty sound. Yes, I know it is only a 6, but that is why I want to know which system would sound most like the v8. Is it true to think that 2 mufflers sound better that 1 on a V6? Would there be a sound difference it was true dual vs Cat back dual? I dont want to cheap out and get 1 muff w/2 tips, but if the sound diff isnt close, I dont want to waste that money when I might as well put it towards true duals. And thanx for the info, glad to know the H pipe for the 6 is meaninless, saved me 80+S&H, lol! thanx
Old 02-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Duals were my 2nd mods,CAI was 1st !!! I at first thought I lost HP, But then I noticed there was a little more pull at the bottom end of 2nd gears and all the way through the power curve
Other mods that followed were short throw shifter, 3:73,t-lok, 25% UDP and SCT Chip and tune

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 02-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Don't worry about power differences...
I personally like the look of duals, so that's what I went with.
Now with the offroad x I can tell the power was moved up in the power band somewhat opposed to the factory midpipe.

If you are going to do exhaust, go ahead and get 2 mufflers, it will probably be cheaper than having the exhaust shop somehow run the exhaust back to the passenger side for that 2nd tip.
Our's:
Old 02-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

kewl, Installing my CAI this weekend (bbk 3" chrome), exhuast next project in the works, then chip. Anybody really like there chips for the v6 1999+. I have an 02.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

I had a chip for mine, diablo chip. I then found the world of handheld tuners. I now have an Xcal2 from vmptuning.com. To be completely honest though...you're not gonna see big gains, especially not from a 5 speed since the majority of the difference you normally see is the shift points in an automatic. If you are just wanting to flash it to change your speedo for gears, you can get a thing called a dallas speecal to recalibrate your speedometer for the gears without spending the money on a chip/tune that really won't make that big of a difference.
Our's:
Old 02-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

^100% correct. i agree with you guys, i love the look of the dual exhaust, dont get me wrong. im just tryin to give you some info that was passed on to me.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I saw the diablo tuner adv all over the place for 399 less $30 rebate - they send it next day air for free - like they cant wait to give it away! Is that figure even worth it, again, this one is a tuner rather then a chip. However, I saw SCT add that was a chip, but they say they custom tune it for you and you have to send in all your mod work and they will program one and send it to you. Then the option to get a new turn if need be from an authorized dealer for like a 1 time fee of $99 or so. I have heard a few names thrown around, and once apon a time I had an Hyperteck, but didnt really see any gains. Anyone know of a brand that has the bang to go along w/the buck that isnt overinflated w/price due to marketing??
Old 02-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Read another short thread and "mineralgrey01" posted the following:

you don't need a crossover on a v6 unless you got some big mods, a cross over does change the sound a little bit though. but you don't NEED one on a v6 because of the firing order, its not having to scavange exhaust gases.

The fireing order what what I was trying to talk about previously, i just dont exactly get the explanation.

Anyone diassgree with this info:

http://www.asbclan.com/rellik/cai.html
Old 02-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #23

Region: Alabama

Heres a visual

Odie808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wow, lol, great, ask and you shall recieve. Hows that for a visual,
Hope u didnt tip it over just for me.

It all comes together now. Why 2 cats, I dont know, but not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. cut the Y pip and have the shop run 2/14? down the other side and leave the original piping on the other side right? just changing the muffler and tips? 2 1/4 a must or 2 1/2 in/outlets okay, need to buy the right mufflers now, I can just buy any 2 for my year no matter if v6 vs. V8, which would open up my selection. Not the easiest thing to do for a V6. I just see a lot of 2 1/2 inlet and outlet right now. The stock pip is 2 1/4 right?

OR
go with Pypes 409 Stainless Steel Violator Catback with Polished 304 Tips (99-04 GT)

anyone heard anything good about this company. skeptic.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

I knew that picture was around somewhere but was too lazy to find it last night lol. We did suspension and exhaust off that.

Both V6 and V8 mustangs come with 2 1/4 piping. Pretty much, just find a muffler that is offset in/ offset out and 2 1/4.
Our's:
Old 02-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Sticking w/ 2 1/4 in/outlet, I found Flowmasters sku# 952448 for $79.95 each w/free shipping. 40 series 2 chamber. They state its the most agressive sounding a 2 chamber can offer. Dont they all say that? My girlfriend has flowmasters on her 1995 5.0 (yeah, she's hot too) but i'm not sure what series, but its a 5.0 and it doesnt overwhelm me whenever I think about what it sounds like. So Im not sure If flowmaster is the best bet for optimal sound. Are the flows a smart bet?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

that's what i have on mine. i like the way it sounds. not too overwhelming.

I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:23 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Getting it done Saturday! $425. True dual/flowmaster 40 series/3 inch tips installed. How did the before and after sound like Stumpy?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:19 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

for me, day and night. it sounds similar to a GT now. which is the sound i was hoping for. didn't sound bad before, just not what i imagined a mustang to sound like.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Thats all im looking for. Not concerned w/the HP diff, but still went with 2.25" piping for backpressure anyway. I want to skip work 1/2 day and get it done, but I just have to wait till the weekend.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:59 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

The flow master will start sounding better once you get some miles on them

Quote:
Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Gotcha! 1000? more or less?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

mine is already sounding different. i've got about 5-600 on it now. it sounds cleaner. where do you live chris?

Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Mine started sounding nice after about 250

Quote:
Old 02-14-2007, 11:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Califorinia-Northern ( we practically have the whole west cost, except for the crappy parts above us)
Sounds Sweeeeet. Skiped out on work and got it done in the morning(PTO). Hell, it was Valentines day and I didnt want to go to work anyway. I got to walk under the car b4 they dropped it. NICE, love the look of true dual exhaust! Stuck w/2.25" pipe in/out and 3 inch tips. Everything looked really clean and both sides are Identical. The guys who did the job looked like Bikers but sure new their NASCAR. Couple hours and I was gone. If its only going to get better, then I made the right choice by not cheaping out. I'll get pic this weekend. Made it flush w/rear facia, maybe out 1/4 of an inch. I'll have to see how long it takes to change its tone and post it.

Did anyone notice the RPM's dropping a little when Idle?? I have heard that Cold Air Intake and Dual exhaust will cause some confusion w/the compuer and may run too rich or too lean? Anyone know? I thought I heard that somewhere and that a Chip or Tuner would fix it. But if you got a Tuner, wouldnt you have to manualy change that , or will the tuner just know and fix the air/fuel ratio. I have heard that the true gains of CAI and Dual are seen after a chip/tuner. I have a Stick, does it matter. I think that might be a dumb question, but I hear tuners do more for Auto's then Sticks. Later.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust