Cold Air Intake Mystery - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Question Cold Air Intake Mystery

Got this from this link here on another thread:
http://www.asbclan.com/rellik/cai.html

Any V6 owners agree or disagree w/this info based on personal expirence? Especially insterested if you have an 2002 or 2003 since there was a slight change from Ford.

I am not sure If want to "customize" my BBK CAI when I mount it by using the stock round screen, placing it somewhow before the MAF sensor to "str8en" out the air. He states the MAF might jump around since the MAF has issue figuring out what exacly to tell the computer. He talks about cruise control and taking coming out of cruise and how the car doesnt jsump around before it regulates. If there was a place to put it and know it was secure, i'd do it, but im skeptical if I want to bother. Whatcha guys think

Q) The stock induction has a metal screen that falls out when I take out the MAF. Do I need to re-use that too?
A) Depends, please read the entire answer for your situation. The screen is not needed, or required when you install the CAI. But save it with the old induction system, you never know when you may need to put the old system back on. Some people have put the screen back in. Please be aware that the system was not designed to easily incorperate the screen. Thus, some people have expierenced air leaks, while others have not.

The screen however has been proven to show that it does stablize airflow, as a member of 3.8mustang.com found out recently. Here is his discovery:

"I brainstormed all night about how to fix this and it hit me. In the stock induction there is a aluminum screen (it's circular in shape and made out of aluminum screen). I thought if I loosend the K&N and attached the aluminum screen before the MAF it would be enough to diffuse/stabilize the incoming air. I was right :thumbup:. It might be a slight restriction but it's worth it.
I drove around for a hour. I took it up to about 50-60mph and then took my foot off the gas and cruised. Usually it would buck multiple times until I would put my foot back on the gas but not anymore. I did this around 30-40 times."
More turbulant? Yes and No, but I do see where you're going with this.

In the stock induction the airflow is completly changed in the stock filter housing. It's filtered, and then it has a straight run into the MAF through the screen... all in all, very effective in getting accurate readings of airflow because it's running evenly through the system.

Wit the CAI, the air is filtered, then goes through a huge 90 degree bend, causing the airflow to actually become turbulant to the point that when it reaches the MAF, the airflow is still trying to re-stabilize. As such, surges of air (or lack thereof) will cause innacurate MAF readings.

Thus putting the screen in can quite possibly be your ticket our of getting the CEL that has popped up on your Mustang. But keep in mind however, these cases of the CEL being tripped from the installation of the CAI are low. I personally have only come across a handful of people with this problem over my 4 years on studying CAI systems.
chris7869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Cold Air Intake Mystery

I reused mine because the K&N system lets you use the whole MAF, not just the center part.

But yes, believe it or not, the little metal screen does make a difference as far as measurement goes.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i use a BBK cold air intake in my 3.8 2001, the model of the CAI is 1719, i not reused the screen, and dont have any problem
carlosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

can i use the screen, ??? not cause any difference??
carlosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

he states puting it "BEFORE" THE MAF. If I was to try install it on my BBK, where could I put it on? I pre assembled it to get I a good idea of the install. I dont see anyplace to put the screen othen then where it was on the stock system. He talked about the turbulent air due to the 90 degree angle it has to first pass throug before it reaches the MAF. However based on where its located on the stock system, would that be right by the MAF, and not too much before it. Since the stock system screen & MAF look so close together, that must be the only place to do it, or should I place in or around the air filter, but that is b4 the bend and so wouldnt help then either right? Uugghh, Its raining all week here, and I wanted to install this thing right now. I have a carport, its light rain, should I chance it or wait a week?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

The screen just helps to even out the air flow to sum it all up.

And the best place to put it is before the maf as the factory system has it. I have never messed with any other cai's other than the K&N system so I can't really help ya much with that.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

I have been extremely pleased with my CAI purchase. It is hard to tell how much extra gain has been added, but it feels like i have increased in power.

2000 Ford Mustang 3.8L
5 Speed Manual Transmission
00BlackStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Alright, heres the skinny:

I have just installed my CAI under a carport no less in the rain. All I can say is if you have a set up identical to the 2002 v6 and want to go BBK #1719, then PIECE OF CAKE not the best directions, but after researching so much, it didnt matter.

Since I have been obsessed w/all the possible nightmares that could happen. I went in well prepared. BBK smartened up and now send 4 metal bands and all neccessary part's. They even send a small rubber ring & piece of mettal to plug the useless hole after the MAF. Solved that whole issue w/what to do with it(silicone,tire valve, ect.) Also I got an Identical fit for the car mounting piece. Another Tip, simply oil the insides of the blue band, put some man strength in it and it slides right over.

PROBLEMS: only 1, almost 2. When pulling the connecter off the MAF, if you try to push it out, the plug to the MAF wont fit through, ( I had a Fit!), then realized it was just a middle peice & disconnected the other side. Then I SHOVED the rubber garment back through the hole and the tail came right out. I was about to just break the plastic or force the MAF plug, but quickly WISED up. The hardest part WASNT installing the filter (for some reason very easy once you get your arm up there w/a screw driver& oil the sides to easily slip over tube), the HARD part was trying to plug the tube back in around the top of the Throttle Body. I had to file down a plastic ring around a plastic tube that went inside the rubber hose. It could have fit but when it got to this small raised grove, it wouldnt slide INTO the metal tube. After realizing it wasnt going to happen (no give, hard plastic), I tried pulling it out and put the ruber hose and fit it over the metal tube. It didnt matter how hard I pulled, the plastic wasnt coming out of the stock rubber tube. WISED up again and got my girls finger nail file and filed that (ring) raised grove. Once done, It was like Cinderellas Glass Slipper, tight, perfect fit, no give.

Made sure I tighened everything WELL. Patience, little oil, & screw driver & socket wrench & a little prep work is all it took). Thanks for the Ins and Outs. Duel exhaust here I come, or should I go gears and tlok first? I need to buy an engagement ring b4 this hottie leaves me, I hope I'm not getting the Mod Bug. I posted pics in garage.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
cold air intake