Mac Performance Cat Backs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Mac Performance Cat Backs

I’ve always loved mustangs and finally got one. Now I don’t know much about cars, just the basics. When it comes to performing mods were I am lost. I have installed CAI’s because it’s fairly easy. I wan’t to continue doing my own mods and saving the money. But I am lost with exhaust systems. I’ve been looking at the Mack Performance Cat Backs and there at a good price, and they look like they go connected to the cats with nothing else needed. Where I am lost is with all this Y’s and H’s. The Mac Performance Cat Backs I have seen don’t come with neither. I have a 2002 Mustang V6, the exhaust from the manifolds back I notice that the exhaust comes out from both sides down with separate pipes to the cats down to the 2 mufflers then after the mufflers they go to a y pipe to one pipe and out to the rear.

Now my question is, when installing the Mac Performance Cat Backs is necessary to have the Y or the H pipe or can I just install it to the cats down to the rear with installing the Y pipe and H pipes?

Thanks
Johnny Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Mac Performance Cat Backs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mustang View Post
I’ve always loved mustangs and finally got one. Now I don’t know much about cars, just the basics. When it comes to performing mods were I am lost. I have installed CAI’s because it’s fairly easy. I wan’t to continue doing my own mods and saving the money. But I am lost with exhaust systems. I’ve been looking at the Mack Performance Cat Backs and there at a good price, and they look like they go connected to the cats with nothing else needed. Where I am lost is with all this Y’s and H’s. The Mac Performance Cat Backs I have seen don’t come with neither. I have a 2002 Mustang V6, the exhaust from the manifolds back I notice that the exhaust comes out from both sides down with separate pipes to the cats down to the 2 mufflers then after the mufflers they go to a y pipe to one pipe and out to the rear.

Now my question is, when installing the Mac Performance Cat Backs is necessary to have the Y or the H pipe or can I just install it to the cats down to the rear with installing the Y pipe and H pipes?

Thanks
Do u have a link? Some of the kits come with an adapter for the y-pipe. If it is a true dual setup, u will need a new mid-pipe or chop up your y. I recommend going with an o/r h-pipe so that u wont have to modify it down the road. Not to mention the sound will be more pronounced. Also i would go with flowmasters on a v6 instead of mac but that is up to u
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Mac long tube header, Mac Off road H pipe, Flowmasters and 2.5 tips will give you the best sound, u want be disappointed! check out the video

04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebs5408 View Post
Mac long tube header, Mac Off road H pipe, Flowmasters and 2.5 tips will give you the best sound, u want be disappointed! check out the video

Agreed but install can be pricey if u can't do it on your own. I don't think my exhaust could sound any better without engine work or a blower
Old 08-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #6

Update

I am going to purchase the V6 Mac Catback next month. It looks like an easy installation that I can do myself and fairly economical and will do the job. Tomorrow I will be installing my first MOD, a CAI from American Muscle.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Good luck on the install and the exhaust. AM usually has excellent walkthroughs and installation guides.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #8

Re: CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
Good luck on the install and the exhaust. AM usually has excellent walkthroughs and installation guides.
Thanks, I downloaded the Instructions on PDF from AM and got the link to the Video of howtv for the installation of the AM CAI from Youtube.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks, I downloaded the Instructions on PDF from AM and got the link to the Video of howtv for the installation of the AM CAI from Youtube.
The cai is an easy install, you shouldn't have any issues. Do u have a link to the catback you're getting? Are you installing it with a new mid pipe?
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

write up a very details good pics how to and we will see about getting it up in our article section, the key is attention to detail on the pics/notes etc
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Idaho

I have the flowmaster system and it sounds great. I have been told many times that, that V8 sounds healthy, I don't feel the need to tell them that is a 6.
racefan966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #12

CAI Update

I installed my AM CAI with little difficulty. I noticed some HP gains and sound improvement. I am pleased with my CAI. My next Mod will be the Mac Performance Cat Backs in 3 weeks.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
The cai is an easy install, you shouldn't have any issues. Do u have a link to the catback you're getting? Are you installing it with a new mid pipe?
The Cat Back I plan to install is from this site.

99-04 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 MAC Cat-Back Exhaust System
Old 09-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Cat Back I plan to install is from this site.

99-04 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6 MAC Cat-Back Exhaust System
Seems like a good kit at a nice price. Good luck with the install Ive heard mac is pretty similar to flowmaster in sound. Flowmaster is louder while cruising and mac is louder at idle. Something like that.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #15

Re: Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Seems like a good kit at a nice price. Good luck with the install Ive heard mac is pretty similar to flowmaster in sound. Flowmaster is louder while cruising and mac is louder at idle. Something like that.
Thanks, I'll let you know how the install goes. I've seen a few of these kits installed on V6's on youtube and they sound pretty good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang