Headers or not - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Headers or not

Exhaust manifold broke. Should i got back with headers?
Calebsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Headers or not

Not even a question. Hell yeah you should upgrade while your in there.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Do you have a recomendition on what brand....?
Calebsstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

i like the BBK headers, when i am ready going with the Long Tube BBK and x-pipe from Magnaflow. Now i dont know weather to go with non cats or high flow cats?

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
i like the BBK headers, when i am ready going with the Long Tube BBK and x-pipe from Magnaflow. Now i dont know weather to go with non cats or high flow cats?
I say HF cats, Jack, how was the fitment on the BBK headers? are they shorty's?
Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Kooks if the money isn't a issue and Mac if it is a money issue.Both are good.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Agree with above comments, anytime i have a part break and it can be replaced with a performance part i do it
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

What are you driving? Headers are a hell of an upgrade and there is no reason not to change them when doing that repair. Shorty's will be the least expensive as you will be able to continue using your mid-pipe already installed in the car. Bassani Mid-lengths are great as are Kooks and American Racing... the Macs are really cheap now and the quality is amazing compared to what they used to be. Ceramic Coated Macs are my vote on the way to go depending on your car?
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to VCS_SSSTANG

Anybody notice what section your in? None of the people you mention make parts for his car. Assuming its a 99-04 v6 mustang... Going by the fact that those are what normally have headers break.

Get mac long tubes or pacesetters, the bbk shorties have been dyno'd , beaten, and dyno'd again and don't gain anything. If you just need to replace them the 98 manifolds will do the same without costing the price of the bbks.

And whatever you do please don't do x pipe and magnaflows on a 6er, thats just asking for a raspy sound.
VCS_SSSTANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

I have ceramic coated BBK Shorty's.They sound ****ing AMAZING and I could definitely tell the difference in the response and acceleration
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Nate281 View Post
I have ceramic coated BBK Shorty's.They sound ****ing AMAZING and I could definitely tell the difference in the response and acceleration
That's funny cause i didn't notice any difference or power with those whatsoever. Go with mac longtubes and an o/ r h. It will be a huge sound improvement and a nice pick up in power. You wont be disappointed.
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you will see very little gain with shorties, and not much more with long tubes. If you can get a good deal sure but I wouldnt worry so much.

I think 94-98 headers are better but not sure they are a direct swap over
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
That's funny cause i didn't notice any difference or power with those whatsoever. Go with mac longtubes and an o/ r h. It will be a huge sound improvement and a nice pick up in power. You wont be disappointed.

No its a guy with a GT, giving advice in the wrong section.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado

I just replaced my broken stock exhaust manifolds with BBK shorties. It's definitely worth doing!! The sound is great and a bit more power too!!!
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
SonicBlueV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 02Nate281 Send a message via MSN to 02Nate281 Send a message via Yahoo to 02Nate281 Send a message via Skype™ to 02Nate281

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlueV6 View Post
I just replaced my broken stock exhaust manifolds with BBK shorties. It's definitely worth doing!! The sound is great and a bit more power too!!!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Youre joking right? Those shorties do nothing for sound and the only added power comes in the form of weight reduction from having a lighter wallet.. I wish I wouldve listened before I went with the shorties as they do absolutely nothing on a bolt-on v6 mustang.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Youre joking right? Those shorties do nothing for sound and the only added power comes in the form of weight reduction from having a lighter wallet.. I wish I wouldve listened before I went with the shorties as they do absolutely nothing on a bolt-on v6 mustang.
No, not joking, the BBK's are a definite improvement. The shorties sound better and add power. I have proof sitting in my garage. Don't listen to this guy, go with the BBK's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Current Mods: SCT 4 Bank Chip, K&N CAI, 25% UDP, ZEX 75 Wet Shot, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Autolite XP Iridium Plugs, BBK Shorty Headers, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, 3.73 Rear Gear, Ford Racing T-Lok, 18x9 Saleen Chrome Rims Front, 18x10 Saleen Chrome Rims Rear w/Nitto 555R Drag Radials (Track).
Old 08-30-2010, 11:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I am doing long tubes BBK when i get ready to do my exhaust

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
No, not joking, the BBK's are a definite improvement. The shorties sound better and add power. I have proof sitting in my garage. Don't listen to this guy, go with the BBK's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You realize its been DYNO tested they don't do squat. If you lined up against a car with the exact same mods you have and the stock 98 manifolds you would be dead even if you both drove exactly the same.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCS_SSSTANG View Post
You realize its been DYNO tested they don't do squat. If you lined up against a car with the exact same mods you have and the stock 98 manifolds you would be dead even if you both drove exactly the same.
I am going to have to agree. The long tubes open the exhaust more and allow little to no back pressure and that is what steals the horse power from the motor. High flow cats x-pipe, and long tubes is the way to go.....

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 08-31-2010, 12:58 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up Re: Headers or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape View Post
I say HF cats, Jack, how was the fitment on the BBK headers? are they shorty's?
no shorty's just the long tubes we checked them out with a set my buddy has and they look great on his car. and bring that really deep roar and woke up his stang. He is running O/R mids, I want the high flow cats with the Magnaflow X-over. Ihave the Magnaflow cat back and they are unbelievable... Really made my car rumble and the lifetime warranty is the extra plus....

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U are an idiot. I had them on my car and they didn't do ****. The longtubes will provide a nice gain but shorties wont do anything on our cars. Do u have dyno sheets? If not then none of what u say matters.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 listen to this guy
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U are an idiot. I had them on my car and they didn't do ****. The longtubes will provide a nice gain but shorties wont do anything on our cars. Do u have dyno sheets? If not then none of what u say matters.
As I said before don't listen to this *****!!! Maybe if you learned how to wrench and install your parts right you wouldn't have the problems you had!!!!!! I bet you're one of those guys who only buys the parts and pays someone to put them in!!!!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As I said before don't listen to this *****!!! Maybe if you learned how to wrench and install your parts right you wouldn't have the problems you had!!!!!! I bet you're one of those guys who only buys the parts and pays someone to put them in!!!!
Wow u know me so well. Its amazing!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #26
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
You have like four things done to your car. How are you going to talk about someone else's ability to install modifications when anyone that can read can install what you have on?

He's right though and you are going to have a hell of a time finding anyone on here that thinks replacing shorty headers on a V6 Mustang with after market shorty headers is going to change sound or power.

Enough with the name calling, on both sides too. If you can't disagree without it then ignore each other.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
The only chance shorties have of improving power are if you have horrible flow through your stock cast manifolds. Then, the improvement of flow will increase your power just from an efficiency stand point. Granted, you're only talking low - mid single digit improvements in power if any at all. The only sound change you're going to see is if you happen to change your mid pipe or cat back setup at the same time.

And yes...he does pay me a visit when it comes time to install something...and then WE do the installation. I have the tools. He has the parts. It works out well.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:40 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
The only chance shorties have of improving power are if you have horrible flow through your stock cast manifolds. Then, the improvement of flow will increase your power just from an efficiency stand point. Granted, you're only talking low - mid single digit improvements in power if any at all. The only sound change you're going to see is if you happen to change your mid pipe or cat back setup at the same time.

And yes...he does pay me a visit when it comes time to install something...and then WE do the installation. I have the tools. He has the parts. It works out well.
Thanks guys. Im sorry for calling u an idiot
Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
IF i had to pick somebody to listen to, It would NOT be the guy who list BOSCH PLATINUM +4 (the worst possible plug you could put in a v6 mustang) as a modification.

Stop trying to justify the fact that you wasted 300$ on shorties.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
IF i had to pick somebody to listen to, It would NOT be the guy who list BOSCH PLATINUM +4 (the worst possible plug you could put in a v6 mustang) as a modification.

Lmao
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA, wow you guys are soooo funny!!!! Well if I picked someone to listen to it sure wouldn't be you. The funny thing is that guys like you think your an expert on everything just because you slapped a few parts on your car. I'm sure the engineers at Bosch and BBK are far more credible than you. I don't have to justify anything to you, if you don't like the parts I put on my car then that's your problem.
My Mustang runs and sounds great, I thought this forum was for people who appreciated Mustangs, not a bunch of haters!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
HAHAHAHAHA, wow you guys are soooo funny!!!! Well if I picked someone to listen to it sure wouldn't be you. The funny thing is that guys like you think your an expert on everything just because you slapped a few parts on your car. I'm sure the engineers at Bosch and BBK are far more credible than you. I don't have to justify anything to you, if you don't like the parts I put on my car then that's your problem.
My Mustang runs and sounds great, I thought this forum was for people who appreciated Mustangs, not a bunch of haters!!!

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are several dumb**** engineers out there. I can promise u that. This site is for asking and giving advice. It just so happens that your advice is crap. And that guy above knows about a thousand times more about v6's than u so quit running your mouth.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thats great, and my car will run circles around it... whats your point? Sorry if you haven't learned yet advertisement makes up the real world. Do you think K&N sells cold air intakes based on the +40hp gains the claim? Hell yes and they sell it because enough idiots in this world actually believe a cold air intake will give you 40hp. Just like idiots think because a plug is called a platinum +4 its worth a damn, sorry its not. If I went out and made some cool sounding plug I'm sure a bunch of idiots would buy it too.

I've slapped more "parts" onto cars that you prob ever will.

Also the forum is full of people who appreciate mustangs, and its also full of people who know better and try to save others from wasting money.

- Shorties {waste of money}
- Platinum +4 plugs {waste of money}
- 65mm-70mm tb {waste of money}
- TB spacer {waste of money}

Oh btw here are some of the parts I've "slapped" onto my car...

With my own two hands, and a bit of help from a Micrometer and some Plastigauge and a few other tools you prob wouldn't know what to do with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang