A deeper rumble - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to NotoriousSPG Send a message via Yahoo to NotoriousSPG
A deeper rumble

I want to bolt something on to my car to make the engine sound deeper, all ive got so far is a single exhaust flowmaster. Thats it! Ive heard throwing on new headers helps.. if so.. any good brands I should look at? OR any other ideas?!
NotoriousSPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: A deeper rumble

I'd say 2 more cylinders... but that response might've gotten old already. Umm, I love Borla, that's all I have to say. But seriously, any exhaust you get... you'll be able to tell it's a v-6. If it starts out low and rumbly, when you get into higher RPM, it'll be a little raspy at best. Just get a nice sounding exhaust, and don't worry about how low it is.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

im with Jimmy +1 on Borla had it on my 6-er
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

i did the same as you, went with a single flowmaster weld-in. sounded nice and deep compared to stock. what other mods have you done so far?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

hate to break it to you so bluntly... but I tried the same thing as you. Magnaflow didn't do it... cherry bombs didn't do it... straight pipe didn't do it... 2.5" straight pipe and 3.5" tips didn't do it... but it DID give an awesome low RPM sound, but still raspy as **** up high. Get a nice muffler, keep the volume low, and keep your RPM's down, and you'll have a lower tone, but as soon as you get on it, you'll rasp out. It's just a curse of having a v-6.

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 03-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

unfortunatly thats the truth. you can only do so much...
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok seems like im ****ed haha.. how about simple bolt ons for more power?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thats all ive got so far, is the flowmaster. thats it!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ok, ill tell ya what i did. got the flowmaster put in some 4.10's and a t-lok. also added a cai (which doesnt do much of anything on a 6er btw) and had it tuned for 93 and had all the shift points and such changed. this totalled changed the car. felt like a totally new stang. was actually able to chirp the tires going into 2nd if i really hit.even got about 20 mpg out of the deal as well. but it will cost ya some $.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

it wont get much better just dont make it any louder and you are good
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

4.10's on an auto are a nice addition... and will put you ahead of 94-98 stock GT's. You're still fighting a losing battle with a 99-04 GT though, especially the manual. But go ahead and get a CAI, TRUE dual exhaust with whatever mufflers you want... and if you want to stick with and some times beat the GT... do some H/C/I work. That will give you very nice gains, and will make it a contender.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

with a full h/c/i package and all the bolt ons you should see 230rwhp/230rwtq or in that area~ give or take with the auto. The other ways to make up some still lost ground vs 99+ gts would be in the TQ converter, suspension, weight reduction (which you already have a head start in having a v6) and rear gearing.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
4.10's on an auto are a nice addition... and will put you ahead of 94-98 stock GT's. You're still fighting a losing battle with a 99-04 GT though, especially the manual.
what 96-98 gt's have you raced i haven't been beat by a stock 99-04 yet so im confused how a v6 is supposed to be able to hang?
1996stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

01-04 v6s are capable of running mid 15s stock (manual trans add .5 for auto)... right where stock 94-98 gts "hang" especially in auto lol (they are slow) and with a few mods the v6 can run half a second faster or more just depending~ and 14.9 in the quarter is definatly enough to hang with a 94-98 gt near stock or take one down.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
01-04 v6s are capable of running mid 15s stock (manual trans add .5 for auto)... right where stock 94-98 gts "hang" especially in auto lol (they are slow) and with a few mods the v6 can run half a second faster or more just depending~ and 14.9 in the quarter is definatly enough to hang with a 94-98 gt near stock or take one down.
Well maybe you have been too a better track than me i have never seen a 01-04 v6 run better than 15.9
Old 03-21-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

when I had my 2001 V-6... I hung with the 94-98 automatic GT's... but the manuals would nudge me out. Granted, I had a couple SMALL things done, but nothing that really gave me an advantage. With 4:10's... I would assume the car would beat them out. I don't think the logic is flawed there. If you add H/C/I you should see decent gains, and with the increase of power, and taking into account weight differences in the GT and v-6... he should be able to at least get close to the auto 99-04 GT.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

also, do you have a manual or automatic, and are you completely stock?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have never went inside this motor if that means anything but no im nowhere near stock.I have stock internals and thats about it
Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

i just dualled out mine from the manifold with flows and it sounds good to me. if you don't want to a true dual, go with the bolt on catback split dual from flow. not sure how it sounds, but it's an option.

2003 Mustang V6 Vert with a Flowmaster Super 40 series dual exhaust
I'm not a target in the sights of your mercy. I've never asked for anything. I'm not asking now.
Stumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

if you want to do further mods, you will want true dual exhaust. It will just mean more $$ if you wait to do it until later.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996stang View Post
I have never went inside this motor if that means anything but no im nowhere near stock.I have stock internals and thats about it
so.. go back to the first post you made where you quoted me... and look where I said 94-98 STOCK GT's... it's no surprise you haven't been beaten by a 99-04 v-6 is you're modded.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so.. go back to the first post you made where you quoted me... and look where I said 94-98 STOCK GT's... it's no surprise you haven't been beaten by a 99-04 v-6 is you're modded.
It just get's annoying everyone thinks the 96-98 is such a slow car.When i had the stock non PI motor every v6 mustang and camaro in town revved at it.People need to realise 15's are not fast 14's are not fast 13's are not fast hell to be honest 12's are not very impressive. There are more and more 10 second cars on the street everyday now than there was 13 second cars 5years ago.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

I wasn't saying they were slow... I was giving accurate information. Also, it depends on what you think is fast. If you've been stuck in a 16 second car, and then jump in a 13 second car, that car will be damn fast for you. It's all in what you want it to be.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

It is sad that 94-98 gts get talked down on so often but... they were slow stock. The 5.0's at least were very easy to get quite fast. You have to realize the 94-98's came out right after the fox bodies, which basically owned them as the 94-98s were slower than the previous version. That definatly hurt their reputation. Ford tried to cover it up by droping the HP on the 93 fox but.. they really put out the same hp/tq in a lighter car.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
were you askin about the actual thread starter or the other guy?
Old 03-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

the other guy

Old 03-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the other guy
My car is a 5speed soon to be auto.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

why would you change it over to auto. i know i might be missing part of ur story in asking that tho.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
ok, ill tell ya what i did. got the flowmaster put in some 4.10's and a t-lok. also added a cai (which doesnt do much of anything on a 6er btw) and had it tuned for 93 and had all the shift points and such changed. this totalled changed the car. felt like a totally new stang. was actually able to chirp the tires going into 2nd if i really hit.even got about 20 mpg out of the deal as well. but it will cost ya some $.
Can Anyone give me some good brands and a price estimate so I know how much to save? whats a t-lok anyways? and I dont know jack about tuning!
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

just take her to a shop and shell out the cash. thats the easiest way. might pay a little more for it but its the simplest way to go about it. unless you know someone who regularly installs gears n t-loks n such. a t-lok stops the one wheeler peelers. locks up your rear end so both tires spin. do some research n call some shops n get estimates n what not.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

i've heard a few 3.8's that had heads and cam that sounded pretty nasty, somewhat like a porshe and a 5.0's love child.

you know how those porshe's are, they're high class girls, but sometimes even those high class girls want a lil "real man" in their life...

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:41 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

if you're looking into T-lok... go ahead and look into an 8.8" GT rear. You might be able to find them with gears already installed... plus, it's a meatier rear end, and you'll pay about the same for it. The self install on that is very simple... but do NOT self install rear gears or t-lok yourself.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
if you're looking into T-lok... go ahead and look into an 8.8" GT rear. You might be able to find them with gears already installed... plus, it's a meatier rear end, and you'll pay about the same for it. The self install on that is very simple... but do NOT self install rear gears or t-lok yourself.
Where can I find those? and i dont plan on installing ANYTHING myself..
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

look around... I don't know,

Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus View Post
why would you change it over to auto. i know i might be missing part of ur story in asking that tho.
Cause when i get a DD this car will only have one purpose.If i can find a built t-45 for less than the 12 auto tranny's we have at the shop i will do that but until then it will go auto.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang