sounds like a belt but... not a belt!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

sounds like a belt but... not a belt!!

I have 1994 3.8 v6 mustang with 110000miles on it. It looks to be all stock no mods or nothing. We just got it 2 days ago when my wife wanted to trade her car for it! It drives good,shifts good etc etc... Well hear is my problem with it. Yesterday when I was driving down the road a squealing sound started. I thought it was the belt.. but I noticed when I push IN the clutch the squealing noise stops. When the clutch is let out there is a squealing sound just like a belt squeal.The sound does not change with motor speed it stays the same.The clutch has no slippage and no grinding noise and I can't feel nothing in the pedal...only the squealing sound with the clutch out. I thought when the throw out bearing goes bad it would squeal or grind with the clutch pressed in?...like most TOB's.. any way when I got home I looked it over and the squeal sounds like it is coming from the back of the motor. So I'm pretty shure it is the clutch but I have never had a car that would squeal with the clutch OUT! and I have changed alot of clutches. So does any one know whats going on before I go buy a clutch kit and put $$$ in it....Please help! Thank you.
vwdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

Re: sounds like a belt but... not a belt!!

I had the same problem. Thought it was my throw out bearing so I replaced it. The squeal went away for a about a day or 2 then came back. I did notice that if I slightly touched the clutch the squel would go away. So I tore it all part again and started inspecting things. I noticed the "fingers" on the pressure plate were pretty worn. And there lies the problem. The throw bearing had gone bad, but in my busy life it didn't allow me to replace it right away. I drove with the squeal for about 3 months before I attempted to fix it which caused A LOT of exessive wear on the pressure plate "fingers". So, I bought an RAM HDX clutch package for about $270 from AmericanMuscle.com , replaced the whole thing to include the pilot shaft bearing and another throw out bearing, had the flywheel turned (resurfaced), and behold NO MORE SQUEAL! In your case, depending on how long and how many miles the car has had this problem, you might be able to get away with just replacing the throwout bearing. But you will only be able to dtermine that after you got it torn apart. In my advise, and by learning from my mistakes, go ahead and replace the whole clutch kit while you have the whole thing apart and you can be assured the problem is completely fixed. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with!
Thomas.Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #3

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to ryanvo

I had the same problem and the shop that put mine messed it up so it went out again in like a year. So make sure you take it to a good place.
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

ThanksThomas.Raines
...What you described is exactly what it is doing, I can put my foot on the clutch pedel very lightly and the squeel will stop, So I guess what I will do is buy a whole clutch kit and just do it all..Thanks so much for the very fast reply
vwdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #5

Anytime man! Good luck!
Thomas.Raines is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang