New '96 Mustang Owner has questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #1

New '96 Mustang Owner has questions

I just became a Mustang owner, a 1996 model with v-6, 110k miles and 5-speed. It's a sweet car but has a few problems. I am hoping you all can help me out.

1) I have a small coolant leak, and the coolant is right behind the upper radiator hose where it joins the thermostat housing. The coolant pools on the top of the engine behind the thermostat housing. Could this be an O-ring leaking? It does not leak much, but it is leaking.

2) The previous owner did not rotate the tires and my two front tires are worn out on the inside of the tires. It needs an alighment at a minumum, and is there anything else that could be wrong? At 110k miles I know the alignment is needed and wondered about ball joints, etc. The struts seem ok.

3) The odometer has stopped working, although the speedometer works just fine. Do they drive off the same pickup? I would appreciate any help.

We are working on a name for her, as she is a medium metalflake green. The PO called her "money" but she had it for 10 years so that was a compliment.

thanks!
David
floridamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Re: New '96 Mustang Owner has questions

1 ) feel around where the hose itself meets the thermostat, that could be where it's leaking from... if you feel any coolant around there it might be a good idea to replace the hose..

2) both tires worn out on the inside would indicate a possible camber problem.. Toe issue would have feathered edges, and the car would pull pretty drastically...

If both sides have fairly even negative camber (inner edge wear..) this could help with handling.. or it could just be the tires need to be replaced period, who knows how many non-rotated miles the tires have on them... just a thought..

3) I would assume it's something in the instrument cluster itself, if the speedo works.. but honestly I'm not sure, I'll let someone chime in on that
Old 03-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

1) I have a small coolant leak, and the coolant is right behind the upper radiator hose where it joins the thermostat housing. The coolant pools on the top of the engine behind the thermostat housing. Could this be an O-ring leaking? It does not leak much, but it is leaking.

I think thats the same thing mines doing its the t-fitting that screws into the intake behing the thermostat housing you have to take it out and put some high temp sealent on it and screw it back in i still have not fixed mine yet i better do it before it starts getting to hot round here

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #4

Wow, if that's all it is then I'm glad! I can fix that sometime soon. I need to get the tires and alignment done pretty quickly also.

Any recommendations for a nice street tire for mainly commuting?

thanks
David
floridamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I like my dunlop SP sport 5000s... I'm sure many others here will have other opinions, however!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang