Replacing A starter 2000 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Replacing A starter 2000 V6

Is there a step by step write up on replacing a starter? I've serached all over and I've found discussions on it but I didnt see any do-it-yourself posts. I'm a noob at auto repairs.
Ssstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: Replacing A starter 2000 V6

its not too difficult to do, i'll see if i can find something, i haven't done it yet to this car, but we replaced it on my old car (a maxima) and it took maybe 45 mins, tops.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Its very easy to do, really it involves 8 bolts and a little bit of feel.

All you have to do is jack the car up, put it on jack stands(IMPORTANT), then loosen the 6 bolts that hold the midpipe of your exhaust on. There are 2 at the bottom of each header and 2 at the opposite end before the mufflers tie in. Remember to unplug the 2 electrical connections that go into the O2 sensors before you try to loosen these bolts or you might rip the wires when the exhaust is lowered and have a check engine light come on.

After the exhaust is off you can try and get your hands on the starter from underneath, it's on the passenger side and is secured with 2 bolts. You need help finding it I can get pics.

The bottom bolt has the ground clamp(thick black wire) and the top bolt just threads right in. Simply get a wrench on these bolts(they are metric sized), loosen them up, and set them aside.

This is the part that can be frustrating, when you are trying to remove the starter it will have a few wires attached to the solenoid, disconnect these and make a mental note of their setup.

After these final wires are out of the way, get your hand around the starter and twist while pulling out on it. It locks into place with the flywheel so the same goes for when you put the new one back in. Once you get in there this all is like common sense but I have seen kids struggle with trying to get a starter to lock in for up to an hour.

I realize that might be confusing but if you have questions just ask and either I or someone else will help you.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Illinois

we have done mine with the exhaust in place with long tubes.
It makes it a little more involved to get to the two bolts but you can with a long enough extension.
2003 SVT Lightning #1059 of 4270
2000 Vert 4R70W
Only buy from vendors that test and stand behind their products
slvr2000stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

Eh I always just take it off, the bolts arent rusty so it's like a 5 minute step for me.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #6

thanks for the feedback. I just copied this information. In the meantime, I feel like such a boob. I thought I needed to replace the starter but it seemed like it was the battery all along. I read a few threads and automatically went into "DefCon4" mode. Sorry for the premature starter post.
Ssstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang