New Gauge Cluster Background - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Send a message via AIM to IMAPYRO
Cool New Gauge Cluster Background

I just installed a different background on my '98 3.8 5speed. When I went to put the needles back on, they were all in the wrong places, ex. the idle was around 3000, pressure gauge was really high. I was wondering if someone could help me out and let me know what the norms are for everything after the car has had a chance to get warmed up that would be good, or even a picture would be better! Thanks!

IMAPYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick
Re: New Gauge Cluster Background

usually when i change the gauges, i mark on the new gauge where the previous ones were when the car was turned on, that usually solves the issue when you install the new gauges....not sure what u need to do for that except to maybe reset them all back to zero? i'm sure one of the guys on here will have an answer for ya thats better than mine

In God We Trust. All Others Checked NCIC.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

for a 98 its not as easy to recalibrate the needles but.. I can help you with this

First off the easy ones. Start the car and stick the battery and the oil pressure right in the middle as thats where they will be (the oil pressure gauge really isnt a gauge on 96 up stangs....)

For the temp gauge wait until you are 100% sure its fully warm and stick it right in the middle as well (it sucks as well just make sure the car is warm)

For the gas gauge go fill up 100% and stick it on the F or a touch past F actually (right on F to be safe, generally its a bit past F when all full, you should know where its at so just stick it where it is when full)

that takes care of all but the rpm and speedo. You will need a friend for this one just to make sure. Google the rpm calibration vs speed ratio for your rear end gears and transmission. You have 2.73 rear gears and an AODE mustang transmission. Find the rpms at 55mph for your vehicle.

Get a friend with an accurate speedometer to go 55 mph and you pace him with cruise control and very carefully ease the needle on. Have him slow down to 45 then go 65 and make sure its all accurate and your good. Now stick the rpm on at the correct position for 55mph then check it at 65 and 45 and your done.

If you had a 99 up you could do this by yourself as it has a digial read out but oh well... I know it sucks but its how you have to do it.

For other tips do NOT push the needles down all the way they have to sit up a bit so they dont get stuck on the gauge face so make sure they are not all the way pushed down. You can plug the gauges up with the plastic cover off of them so you can put the needles on when the car is moving, just be very careful not to bend the little metal pins and take your time to get them JUST right then pull over and snug them down and double check.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Region: Indiana

how would you do this to a 2001 mustang? you said something would be different.
mrgwildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang