Turbo Install Engine Prep - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Turbo Install Engine Prep

I've read alot of interesting opinions in the last few days on Superchargers vs. Turbos. I've finally come to the conclusion that after installing my Steeda Power Pak I will begin preping my V6 for a turbo. The only problem is I cant find a clearcut outline on exactly what I need to do to my fuel system and or powertrain to make sure it's ready for that kind of upgrade. The Steeda pak will give me a Cold Air Kit, Underdrive Pulley, DiabloSport Chip, and Catback. But then what? I've seen some recomendations on this site but for the most part I'm a novice when it comes to whats available for the V6. I found some short tube heads but thats about it. I guess my questions are number 1; what can I buy to prep my engine for the turbo, and number 2; what upgrades (engine only) are even available for the V6. I have the 35th Anniversary 3.8-liter split-port V6 with a 5-speed. Since I bought it I've added only black bullit wheels (19" rear & 18" front). I'm thankful for any help you guys have for me.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog
Re: Turbo Install Engine Prep

First off you gonna have to ditch the cold air kit and prolly the catback if its not at least 2.5". Next go to some of the local v6 mustang sites and search for "v6 turbo" and if you read you find you will answer most of your own questions. also go here this is the only person that makes v6 mustang turbo kits that I know of right now.

TMA TURBO

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

How much power do you realistically want to make?
How many miles do you have on your 99?
Have a shop do a compression test and check all your gaskets to make sure nothing is leaking.

Is your catback a single or dual? If dual then you shouldn't have to scrap it.

If you're wanting to run 7-10 psi then you'll have to upgrade your injectors, MAF, fuel pump.
If you're going to replace any gaskets then you mind as well get some ported upper/lower intakes and use ARP hardware all throughout

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to make around 300HP to the rear wheels, I have 44,000 miles on it. The engine is just broke in and leak free. And yes the catback is dual. As far as the ported/polished intakes go...is it actually necessary or will the stock engine be able to handle the turbo at say 7 psi? The fuel pump and injectors are needed though I realize that.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

If you are looking for around 300 at the wheels, TMA turbo will be great for you.

Do not waste your money on the steeda power pak, you'll end up replacing everything in it in the end.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Once again I'm already sold on the TMA Turbo, the question is what exactly do I NEED to do to the stock motor. If I don't really NEED the new manifold and ported intake I won't do it. Adding 100 Horse doesn't seem like that much stress on the motor to me. I will upgrade the fuel pump and injectors obviously but what else is do I actually NEED? More air and more fuel are obvious...
Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Basically I would not spend a dime with steeda because you will have to redo basically everything you buy from them. There is a member on the forum that has the TMA turbo kit on his automatic v6 and he put down way more than 300/300 on 10-11psi if I remember correctly.

The only real prep you can do to the engine is to rebuilt it~ or do ported heads/intakes/cam. If your coal is only 300/300 then you wont need much other than the turbo and supporting modifications along with a very good tune. The tune is the key to it all and you will have to get a custom dyno tune from a very good scource.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Basically I would not spend a dime with steeda because you will have to redo basically everything you buy from them. There is a member on the forum that has the TMA turbo kit on his automatic v6 and he put down way more than 300/300 on 10-11psi if I remember correctly.

The only real prep you can do to the engine is to rebuilt it~ or do ported heads/intakes/cam. If your coal is only 300/300 then you wont need much other than the turbo and supporting modifications along with a very good tune. The tune is the key to it all and you will have to get a custom dyno tune from a very good scource.
Not that it makes a difference but I have a manual tranny. So you think I can get away with just the ported heads..(are short tubes okay?)the intake and cam shaft? I'll ditch the Power Pak from Steeda based on your advice. At this point Im looking at injectors, fuel pump, heads, intake, cam, and a custom tune...is that it?
Old 04-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Your going to very quickly reach the limit of the stock bottom end. If you really want to do it right you will need to build the engine with forged internals. You can also stroke it to a 4.2 while you are at it.

You can do this all peices at a time if you wanted. You could worry about getting the turbo installed and all of the parts upgraded that are needed. You can then run around 10 psi and you will meet and beat your 300/300 goal (at the wheels).

After that is done you can then build up the parts list for building the motor. Just buy a block and build it from the ground up. After it is ready you can then drop it in and you will be good to go. You should determine who can tune your car, its not easy to do and someone will really have to know their stuff. I would talk with Darkshadow on this forum he has been there and done that with his TMS turbo setup on his 3.8L and he can guide you through the process to help you get it right and save some cash.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Spector...your a life saver, time saver and money saver all in one. Good looking out
Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I sent Darkshadow a message, if anyone else has any advice I'd appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

dude if you just want to run 7 psi then you don't need to build up anything....

You don't need to do anything else to the engine. I only suggested ported upper/lower because you were asking what else you could do.
300 rwhp isn't that hard to get with a stock engine.
Like I said in my first post you'll need a Maf to go along with your new injectors so you can have it tuned properly.
You don't need to get headers since the turbo kits come with them or you can just flip around your stock headers. That's what Andy does for the street kits anyways the last time I talked to him.

If I were you I would worry more about the rear end of the car and maybe some sub frame connectors to help get that power to the wheels.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 04-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq View Post
dude if you just want to run 7 psi then you don't need to build up anything....

You don't need to do anything else to the engine. I only suggested ported upper/lower because you were asking what else you could do.
300 rwhp isn't that hard to get with a stock engine.
Like I said in my first post you'll need a Maf to go along with your new injectors so you can have it tuned properly.
You don't need to get headers since the turbo kits come with them or you can just flip around your stock headers. That's what Andy does for the street kits anyways the last time I talked to him.

If I were you I would worry more about the rear end of the car and maybe some sub frame connectors to help get that power to the wheels.
Running 10psi isn't something I refuse to do. I just intend on running a psi that doesn't require me to do a complete overhaul. Good advice though thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Quote:
Yeah I gotta say he's right, should consider looking into a 8.8 rearend (GT Rear) so you can drive it like you stole it with no issues

Subframes are ALWAYS a good idea
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Yep, for just 7-10 you wont need any engine upgrades, but they will certainly help your performance. Anything you do with the heads, intakes, and cam is less boost you have to run to achieve the same numbers, and that's not just because of the added power the mods themselves do but also because a good port and polish lets more air travel more freely and that's what a forced induction set up is all about.

You can do this on a 100% stock motor (except for fuel and air upgrades and tune), but I STILL have yet to see someone do a full 4.3 stoke/bore with H/C/I, forged internals etc, all the nice upgrades and then slap a turbo on top of that. That thing would be a monster.

As for the rear end, a turbo makes it's power later on in the RPM range, you can launch as hard as you want to and still not really put down much more power (with a stock motor) on take off. But inevitably we will hear about Spec breaking his with just bolt ons, but I have had my kit on for right at a year now and been to the track about a half dozen times with no problems (Detroit Tru-Trac differential).
Old 04-25-2007, 11:19 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemustang View Post
Yeah I gotta say he's right, should consider looking into a 8.8 rearend (GT Rear) so you can drive it like you stole it with no issues

Subframes are ALWAYS a good idea
Gah, I need sub frames so bad
Old 04-26-2007, 01:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
As for the rear end, a turbo makes it's power later on in the RPM range, you can launch as hard as you want to and still not really put down much more power (with a stock motor) on take off. But inevitably we will hear about Spec breaking his with just bolt ons, but I have had my kit on for right at a year now and been to the track about a half dozen times with no problems (Detroit Tru-Trac differential).
You also have an auto and he has a 5 speed. He will be banging gears... But you're right, I guess going 50 mph or so in 4th gear and dropping it into second won't put much of a shock on the rear end. Full boost for those street kits are between 2600-3000 RPM

Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
You also have an auto and he has a 5 speed. He will be banging gears... But you're right, I guess going 50 mph or so in 4th gear and dropping it into second won't put much of a shock on the rear end. Full boost for those street kits are between 2600-3000 RPM
Been fine for me for a year so far. As for my kit, boost STARTS at about 2600-3000. My auto also downshifts from 4th to 2nd But yes, his having an manual would make a difference on launching, but if you launch at an rpm high enough to attain full boost on take off: 1). You'll get lousy traction with stock tires and wont ever try it again, or 2). You would stand the chance of breaking a stock 8.8 with 350rwhp launching you from a dead stop...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang