Custom Mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to megax29 Send a message via Yahoo to megax29
Custom Mustang

My goal is to keep my first car a mustang and transform it into a custom street race car. I plan on working on this for the next 10years. I want everything to be right. I will swap the motor out when my current motor becomes ill...probably 5-7more years I think. Pretty far away and as of now I plan on going with a 4.6l 32V w/ a bore to 5.0l kinda like the fr500 model. That's the best I could think of any other suggestions are welcomed. Anyways in the mean time I want to build other areas like drivetrain or suspension. I've question though if I swap my rear end to an 8.8 10 years from now it'll probably be all beat up and need another, does that make sense to swap now? I'm trying to get at schedule of what to swap and when...suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Custom Mustang

Getting an 8.8 would be a very good start. You're not gonna wear out a rear end in 10 years, shouldn't need a rebuild in a rearend for a long while.

I'd also look into doing suspension things such as braces (subframe connectors), going ahead and investing in good control arms for the rear, etc.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

boring out a 4.6 to go with forced induction isnt good. The piston nearly comes out of the bore on the down stroke.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
boring out a 4.6 to go with forced induction isnt good. The piston nearly comes out of the bore on the down stroke.
LOL, boring just increases the size of the cylinder and has nothing to do with how far the piston moves. Using a crank with a longer stroke or using a longer rod increases stroke.

And using a bore/stroke combo is fine. There are countless 5 liter bored and stroked 4.6's out there with power adders. You just want a respectable engine builder to put your engine together or you could just go with a whole new shortblock from people like D.S.S. or moduler power house.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I didnt mean it like that, I ment the bore/stroke needed to go to a 5.0.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'll let it slide this time, don't let it happen again. :beatyou: :beatyou:
Old 05-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to I_luv_HP&trq Send a message via MSN to I_luv_HP&trq

Are you sure you wouldn't want a different car 10 years from now? If you're waiting 5-7 years you could save up for something already has a better platform to build off.

But I agree with lowflyn to get suspension next if you're keeping your car for a while. It's an inexpensive upgrade(compared to engine mods) and it can make the car really fun to drive.

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
I_luv_HP&trq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to crazeflier07

Aggressive street/light track suspension, stiffen up the chassis inside and out (subframes, rollcage, etc), good wheel/tire combo, better brakes, build up the drivetrain, pull out the interior and get rid of the nonessentials, and a lot of other stuff too. I'm interested in what your gonna do since I have a similiar plan for my ride.
~Jon~

Sinister Six
1998 3.8L V6
Done So Far:
~CAI, True dual exhaust, UDPs, MGW Shifter, H&R springs, Stage 1 & 2 supension kit, performance rotors & pads, steel braided lines, 1 inch rear spacers, A.R. Rebel 17x9s with BFG rubber! :thumbs2:
crazeflier07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The rear end sounds like it might be a bit out of my range for now. I'm thinking of about a 500 upgrade w/ suspension. Frames and connectors but give more info on what frames and connectors. I won't want another car 10 years from now.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Exactly. To stroke a 4.6 out to a 5.0 even with a 20 or 30 over bore will require the pistons to be almost completely out of the block at bottom dead center.

This is fine and all, but the life of the motor is going to be much shorter due to addtional piston wear from coming so far out of the block. One little anomaly and pushing the piston back in and something is going flying.

I really wanted to go 5.0 in my car until I learned this fun little fact. So now, I am going to stop at just a 20 over bore and leave the stroke stock.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by megax29 View Post
The rear end sounds like it might be a bit out of my range for now. I'm thinking of about a 500 upgrade w/ suspension. Frames and connectors but give more info on what frames and connectors. I won't want another car 10 years from now.
Go with all the maximum motorsports stuff. From their subframes to their bushings and everything else. They have a pretty stout line of parts that has been proven time and time again. You really can't go wrong with any of their parts.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

So as far as engine upgrades bore out a 4.6 to a 5.0 with a 20 over stroke, right? Will it haul ***...what level of fast would I be? How much money are we talking about here like 4k? I don't have a 4.6 I need to get one where should I get one? Should I look for a 32V? Should I already buy a 4.6 bored to a 5.0?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You don't want to go 5.0 unless you want to lower the expected engine life.

As for what to look for...I may be selling my 4.6L cobra shortblock in about a year if things all work out.

I would look for a teksid 4.6L block...or an 03/04 block as they become available. I have seen several come up for sale recently...so they are and will be out there.

I wouldn't do more than go .020 or .030 over on your bore and leave the stroke alone...you will end up with about a 289 or something with one of those bores...which will be plenty...no need rising the extra stroke.

You will gain some power from the bore, specially on a forced induction setup...

But I don't recommend stroking it to 5.0L.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I always thought I wanted to get a 4.6L 32V dual cam out of the cobra. Teksid 4.6 is that a single or dual cam? So you recommending a 4.6L teksid w/ a .020 over bore, right? I wonder why you would recommend a 4.6 --> 5.0 when the fr500 team did just that? Why wouldnt that work for me if they did it and they had a warranty too.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #15
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
I always thought I wanted to get a 4.6L 32V dual cam out of the cobra. Teksid 4.6 is that a single or dual cam? So you recommending a 4.6L teksid w/ a .020 over bore, right? I wonder why you would recommend a 4.6 --> 5.0 when the fr500 team did just that? Why wouldnt that work for me if they did it and they had a warranty too.
Last I checked there is no FR500 on the market...it was nothing more than a parts concept.

The reason people like Al Papitio of Boss330 racing as well as others recommend against stroking to a 5.0L is because to get there you have to pull the pistons out of the block...which can and has caused the skirts to come off during stress....failed piston @ speed = bad joo joo.

Now, if you get it sleeved and stroke it to 5.0, that is another story.

Here is what I Would recommend, call a couple of engine builders...good ones...and get their opinions. Boss330 racing is a good idea, and VT engines is a good choice as well.

As for the teksid, that is just a 4.6L block that came in the 96-98 ish cobras and things like lincolns and what not I believe. It is a very stout 4.6L aluminum block that has extra re-inforcement to support things like power adders and boring.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I looked into the boss 330 and nothing came up on yahoo's engine...how about a 5.4 mustang? Good idea or bad?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Boss330 Racing > Home

Great idea.

IMO the reason that LS motors are better than Modular motors is they have more displacement,(and their lighter and more compact) and Modulars have a really small bore.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #18
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Also...

Boss 330 Racing 4.6L Cobra Shortblock [BOSS330-COBRABLOCK] - $3,850.00

As far as the 5.4L goes...you could get it in your car, it will just be some work to get everything working. Not really needed really...a nice 4.6L will do you just fine.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

And their much more fuel efficent.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So as far as engine upgrades bore out a 4.6 to a 5.0 with a 20 over stroke, right? Will it haul ***...what level of fast would I be? How much money are we talking about here like 4k? I don't have a 4.6 I need to get one where should I get one? Should I look for a 32V? Should I already buy a 4.6 bored to a 5.0?
What level of fast do you want to be at?
How much power do you want to make?
Do you know what you're talking about?
Have you actually done any research on what it would take to transplant a 4.6 32V?
Have you been watching Too Fast Too Furious?

99 Cobra: flowmasters, 18x9.5 cobra R's, soon to be tuned and geared. daily driver
99 V6:in avatar, Mac Cai, true duals/flowmaster 40's ,UDP, custom tuned, bullitt suspension 18" wheels...taken by mother nature
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #21
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_luv_HP&trq View Post
What level of fast do you want to be at?
How much power do you want to make?
Do you know what you're talking about?
Have you actually done any research on what it would take to transplant a 4.6 32V?
Have you been watching Too Fast Too Furious?
I think that covers most of the bases.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:20 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I want to be at low - mid 12s. I'm thinking about 400hp. I'm not sure if I'm able to say I KNOW what I'm talking about. This is my attempt to do research in transplanting a 4.6 32V in my car. I think it'll be about a 6-8k project in engine and its assemblies. I watched the first fast & ferious and I have seen parts of tokyo drift...your basically insulting me, right? Anyone else have useful info? About the 330Boss shortblock...that is only the block and theres much more parts needed right? Should I look into a crate engine assembly?

I think I have a realistic approach of this subject and if I'm not being, please correct me. That's the purpose of me signing up to this forum. I know I want a V8 engine that sounds mean that runs in the twelves for maybe once a rear running in the track and mostly to have as a fun car to drive around.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:58 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Just build your engine with forced induction in mind and put a super charger on it.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I got a 3.9l so I dont think I can make it sound mean
Old 05-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

No get a 4.6 build it with forced induction in mind and go from there with a super charger you can get 400 or 500 Hp.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I may have insulted you a bit but i was just playing around. You're basically asking us to do all the research for you and where to find these engines.

Seriously I think the first thing you need to figure out is what you can do to your car and still keep it street legal to pass smog. People like us from cali have limited options sometimes. After you've figured that out, everything else will eventually fall into place. Even if you went with that Boss short block you still need to find the heads and intake to top it all off.

try this link I got you. .:. Brothers Performance Warehouse .:. you'll have to do the searching, but they used to have a package deal where you get a cobra motor, T45 tranny, exhaust, wiring, dash gauges for around 6k.

Another thing to consider is forced induction for a 32V 4.6 is more expensive then the 16V 4.6. The 99-04 4.6 is kind of becoming old technology but there are many tried and tested parts for it out there. I think those engines coupled with 10 psi or so can make around 370-390 rwhp. Where it may only take 5 psi to achieve that with the 32V but not many people spend all that money on a 32V to stay at that power level.

You have many many options but again you need to find out what you can do legally so you don't have to avoid smog or be paranoid about the popo pulling you over.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang