3.8L Intake Manifold Popping - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Unhappy 3.8L Intake Manifold Popping

My 94 Ford Mustang V-6 (3.8L) The check engine light came on and it threw up the EGR valve insufficent flow, Then 2 weeks later it started this popping sound coming from the intake manifold. The car misses everytime it pops. It's sounds like it is back firing through the intake manifold.
If anybody could give me some insight on what it may be I would really appreciate it Im pretty sure it is not a rod or lifters or a main berring because the popping does not speed up when you rev the engine up I was told it could be something to do with the exhaust having a leak but I can't seem to find that leak (go figure) I made a video on youtube so maybe someone can tell me what is going on.
vwdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 3.8L Intake Manifold Popping

did you do any more with the EGR code, and did you check out the EGR solenoid valve? is it the electric type or vacuum type EGR valve? i could be rong but have run across this before. the EGR valve was letting hot unburned gasses into the intake causing that pop.the missfire could be the cause for the unburned gasses. pull the EGR valve off. try not to destroy the gasket and check for some carbon keeping the pintel from closing all the why. if there is clean with carb cleaner and medium brissel brush. the brass colored one. if it's the vacuum type you can check it with a hand op vacuum pump or by sucking on the vacuum port. you will feel the pintel move in and out. you will need a scanner to check the electric type. the ECM should support that pid for the scanner. ask a mechanic if you don't have access to a scanner.
michaelsneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

No I did'nt do any more with the egr code because it ran fine when the code came up but now i'm looking into it.lol. It is a vacuum type egr valve I guess? but it does have a electronic vacuum regulator to control the amount of exhaust gas through the egr valve so does that mean it is electronic? Today I put my hand held vacuum pump on the egr vacuum port to do a leakage test. The haynes manual said apply a vacuum of 5 to 6 in-hg to the valve. It said it should hold vacuum but it did not. It also said put your finger under diaphragm to feel movement when you apply vacuum but mine is a seald egr so you can't feel nothing. So I guess it is the egr valve because it will not hold a vacuum. I have had many cars (V8's) and just made me a block off plate for the egr and thay ran fine but thay where all 1990's down and carbed not fuel injected. The haynes manual said there are several possibilities for egr failure thay are..coolant temp sensor?,tps,maf sensor so i'm going to check all of the sensors today and make shure thay are working right but I'm guessing it is the egr. I will do the test on the sensors and if thay are all good i'll buy a egr tomorrow when I get paid. Thank you michaelsneal for the info I would not have thought the egr would make it pop in the intake. I do know it can make it idle rough and run rough but not pop in the intake like a back fire. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

You can block it off but your check engine light will stay on because the ecm will know that its not there.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

it will pop if the pintel is open just a little and have a missfire. i looked youtube of it and listen to the poping. it did sound just like what i ran into except it was a chevy 2.8L. it also sounded like you have carbon buildup in your exhaust ports, like you have more back pressure then needed. motor sounded like it was choking out a little. i would do a good intake and fuel system cleaning. should clear that up.
michaelsneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #6

Exclamation Re: 3.8L Intake Manifold Popping

Well I found the problem! The #3 cylinder exhaust rocker arm was about to fall off I don't get how this got by me! It never tapped like a rocker does when they comes loose. Well any way... how I found out was I went through all the egr control system. The only thing that didn't check out was the egr valve gasket,it had blowed out on the side.The bolt on the right side was not tight. I got a new gasket, cleaned the mounts where it goes and put it back together. It still popped I was at the end of what it could be(i have only had this car a month and it is falling apart)... so I pulled 1 sparkplug wire at a time just for the hell of it. Well when I pulled #3 plug wire the popping stoped aaha!!! I pulled the valve cover off and there it was as plain as day! It was so loose I took the bolt off with my fingers (valve bolt). I removed the pushrod,valve and so on. It all looked good I dont see how but it was! I got every thing back together and done the valve lash and no more popping and running great. I ran the car for 20 miles and now I hear some valve tapping very slightly at 2000-2500 rpms. Do you think it could be backing back off Do any of you think if it is backing off can I put some blue locktite(medium) on the bolt. I know not to use the red, that stuff will never come loose again Well any info would be great Thank you!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Road Trip!

It wouldn't hurt one bit, if it was me I would go through and do it to all of them just to be safe. Also did you torque the bolts to spec?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #8

Yea, I went 44in-lbs first then 22ft-lbs second. The haynes manual sead 19to25ft-lbs I thought i stay in the middle. Well great i'll go through all of them with locktite and torque them back to spec at TDC. Thank you for the quick reply and all the help
Old 01-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #9

Region: Alabama

3.8L Intake Manifold Popping:

It is too good for those users who are not well knowledge about 3.8L Intake Manifold Popping utilities which is mention above. You can get entire information which you want. Thank you
Old 01-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #11

Region: Alabama

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum past few months. I guessed those users who are not well knowledge and satisfaction about it which is mention above. Please visit our Analytical Report of your topic which is mention below at this post.....

Click below and gain experience of our Analysis!

Thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang