Nitrous Upgrade?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Nitrous Upgrade??

Okay this may be a stupid question but i will be installing my 50 shot dry nitrous system this week and i know people say to put colder plugs but my question is what are the numbers for colder plugs?? Does it mean a plug with a different gap or what :hmm: ?? Also they say to ****** my car 2 deg for every 50 hp but what is retarding it and how do you ****** it more??

Thanks for taking the time to answer my dumb question??
But then again a Dumb question is a dumb question not asked huh

1999 Atlantic Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Auto - V-Force Mufflers w/ true Dual Exhaust setup, Dynotune Wet Nitrous Kit, B&M Tranny Cooler, B&M Shift Kit, BBK CAI, and T-Lok.
TafoyaMNAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Nitrous Upgrade??

You're going to need a tune if you are wanting to ****** timing on your 99. I don't know of a way to pull timing on these engines without a tune to be honest.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was pretty sure i had to get a tuner to ****** it (so retarding it means adjustin the timing w/ a tuner huh) just wanted to make sure though you know, before i bought one. I am thinkin about orderin the SCT Livewire tuner from rpm outlet. You know much about the plugs??

Thank You

1999 Atlantic Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Auto - V-Force Mufflers w/ true Dual Exhaust setup, Dynotune Wet Nitrous Kit, B&M Tranny Cooler, B&M Shift Kit, BBK CAI, and T-Lok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

A sponsor on this site (vmptuning.com) would be able to help you with alot of these questions as well. I have a Xcal2 from them and don't have a single complaint about it.

On the plugs, to be honest I'm not 100% sure so I don't want to give you the wrong info.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the VMPtuning site. I found the answer to my question I had about a V6 Stang should run colder plus and this is the numbers it had for the 2 steps colder plugs 6 AWSF-22C Motorcraft Spark Plugs. Also for my question about what makes a plug colder? - The factory plugs come w/ 42 heat range plugs (which some 6's ping from factory cause plugs so hot) and 22 heat range is recommended for power adders such as Nitrous, SuperChager, or Turbo and can even go with a 12 heat range plugs. Also the gap stays the same no matter what the heat range which is recommended to be set at .35 .

If someone else has ?? about plugs i found this as well. Very good info about Spark Plugs although it is more concentrated towards a V8 but same principle.

SPARKPLUGS 101

Old 05-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/20077/
Quote:
Remember to run colder spark plugs with nitrous. This means copper plugs. For the V6 mustang, Autolite 764s work perfectly. Also, remember to gap them correctly too. The stock gap is 0.050” and you want to run 0.035” when running nitrous. The reason is that nitrous increases the cylinder pressure, which can result in spark blowout (the spark of the plug not staying lit to combust the air and gas resulting in lost hp). Gapping your plugs smaller will make it harder to prevent spark blowout.
I would also can the idea of dry nitrous. I would go with wet.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews.stang View Post
http://www.mustangevolution.com/articles/20077/

I would also can the idea of dry nitrous. I would go with wet.
A wet application is more for the guy the sprays every weekend and is running shots of more then 125. The most i'll ever spray is 75 and which it will only be very often. But when i do plan on Drag Racing more often then i'll go with a 125 shot wet kit w/ a 11psi procharger but for know i'll just stick w/ a 50 Dry shot.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TafoyaMNAA View Post
...But when i do plan on Drag Racing more often then i'll go with a 125 shot wet kit w/ a 11psi procharger...
Not on stock internals you won't...(at least not for very long)
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
Not on stock internals you won't...(at least not for very long)
Well yeah when i plan on going to that extent i will have to upgrade the stock internals for sure if not that would just be askin for trouble. So thats why i dont plan on going that far just yet due to the amount of money it takes to go that far.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

A 75 shot with a very good tune and setup will be ok, but anything can happen.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

A 150shot on stock internals has been ok for me Its all in the tune and i will say im tuned by one of the best there is.And that is a 150 wet kit i will never spray a dry shot whether it be 35 shot or 150 it wont happen.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Wet kit for me as well.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Dont get me wrong wet kets are good but anything can go wrong with a wet just as stuff can go wrong w/ dry.. Thats just my opion though

Old 05-30-2007, 01:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dont get me wrong wet kets are good but anything can go wrong with a wet just as stuff can go wrong w/ dry.. Thats just my opion though
Quote:
On the V6, the models made in 1998 and prior can use the dry kits safer than the models made in 1999 and after. The reason is, in 1999, Ford switched from a return style fuel system (where the excess fuel not burned is returned to the fuel tank) to a returnless style fuel system. On the pre99s, the fuel pressure regulator can be adjusted to increase the amount of fuel. And since the fuel is just returned, it’s not a huge deal. On the 99+s however, the returnless style makes the maf calculate the exact amount needed. The fuel pressure cannot be changed very easily and you need a very good dynotune to run a dry kit on a 99+.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

I was about to post something very similiar ^
bluemustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

X 3.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I was going to get a dyno tune anyways so that will just give me a better reason to know

Old 06-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

So basicly from everyones post a WET kit is FAR better then a DRY kit but it is possible to run a dry kit right with all the correct mods can we all just agree on that

Old 06-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Possible, yes.

Safer, no.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Okay not safer but i've heard from a lot of other people that they been running it for a long time on their 99's and never had any prob's. I'll run my car w/ this dry setup and i'll let you all know what happens okay.
Thank You guys for all the help :thumbs2:

Old 06-02-2007, 03:15 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Everyone has a friend who has done X, but you never hear the full story abou them breaking x parts, or only spraying it 5 times ever, and so on. Go by what the professionals and more experienced people have said, not something someone's friend has done.

Example, a friend of mine had a TPI Camaro with a procharger and a 500 shot. Yes, i said that, a 500 shot. Now sure, all day he'll say he had no problems with it.... FOR A WHILE. And of course it was built to an extent, but guess what, it finally blew.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah dry kit is not safer but a wet can puddle and blow your upper intake right off

Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah dry kit is not safer but a wet can puddle and blow your upper intake right off
I dunno where you hear this I ran a NX Wet Kit with a 100 shot on my car for well over a year and I didnt have any puddling issues at all.

Guess I was lucky
Old 06-02-2007, 08:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wheras a dry can go lean and melt your pistons.
Old 06-02-2007, 09:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You can run a dry system which is much safer than a wet one. With a wet system if the fuel solinoid doesn't open you will lean out the motor and burn it up but not so with a dry set up. You need to run about 2 steps colder spark plugs and premium gas when you are spraying to keep detonation away. Some other things to have would be an RPM window switch. Then you can set what engine RPM it will come on at. These cars run retarded already so you should be safe at 75 hp but no more. Any more you need to ****** the engine (2 degrees for every 50 hp). Just remember detonation will kill your motor in a heart beat so ALWAYS be on the safe side with spray. Also if you have your car tuned now for more timing you will need to put it back to stock or ****** it slightly (2 degrees) first. What I mean about a dry system being safer is simple. You have one solinoid to fail and if it does nothing happens except you don't go as fast. With a wet system if the fuel solinoind fails to open the engine will be way too lean and can burn up before you have a chance to lift your foot (I've seen it happen). I ran a N.O.S. 150 shot wet system for years and loved it but that was on a race car, for a street car a dry system is safer. There is way a wet system is safer than a dry system IF you have you car set up right. Just have one time a fuel solinoid fails to open and you'll be rebuilding your motor (or replacing it), not just replacing a head gasket. Also a 75 hp shot either wet or dry is still 75 hp so to say a wet shot will give more power doesn't make since. It will when you want more yes because then you need the extra gas but not with 100 hp or less. It's up to you but I sure woundn't use a wet system on a street car, it's just asking for trouble. I bet you would have had more than a blown head gasket if you had been using a wet system. If you set up your car correctly for a dry system and use it right it can NEVER cause any engine damage. Can you say that about a wet system? The set up is not the same for a dry system as it is wet, With a dry system and 100 hp jets you are supposed to put in higher flowing injectors ) but with a wet system you don't need to because the solinoid is suppling the extra gas. If you want all out speed and power then yes wet is the way to go but if you want to safely add some power then dry is better. Either way it's a blast.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:33 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I have a buddy who has been running a 100 shot ZEX wet kit for a while now on his GT. ZEX especially is as safe and foul up proof as any of them can be. "so far" he hasn't had any problems other than blowing a loose plug out and stripping the hole (which after doing some research, he found that this is a common problem with the 4.6). He has cold plugs and no timing retardation.

Any nitrous set up has the potential of ruining an engine, but if done right, they have little possibility. Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I know or have heard a little about in my area that runs dry shots. They all seem to be doing just fine. :dunno:

If I were going to spray, it would be a small shot for intake temps, but it would still be wet. That's my preference.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Wet is the way to go.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can run a dry system which is much safer than a wet one. With a wet system if the fuel solinoid doesn't open you will lean out the motor and burn it up but not ................ is suppling the extra gas. If you want all out speed and power then yes wet is the way to go but if you want to safely add some power then dry is better. Either way it's a blast.

There is a difference in wanting all out speed and power than wanting to safely add power???

So at the beginning of this post you didn't know to even swap to a colder range spark plugs, and now you're a nitrous pro???? What gives? I would much rather take advice to people that have experience in what I wanted to do my car than force my opinion on them. Sure the fuel solenoid can fail, so can your spark plugs, plug wires could be faulty from the factory, MAF can get dirty and not adjust properly for AFR and screw up the motor, your fuel pump could fail and spray nothing but nitrous would spray and foul up the motor, lightning could strike and burn down your car.... SHEESH. Several things are possible that could happen and screw something up. There is always a risk in using aftermarket parts on a car.

Our point is, sure that fuel solenoid could fail, but it's no more likely to fail than the nitrous solenoid. In a typical nitrous setup, I would much rather trust an aftermarket system that adjusts for more air(nitrous) going into the motor, than a stock computer that can hardly think for itself, for adjusting for all the added power in a car.

With a 50 shot fine. But when you get bored with that and swap in the 100 pills when you get greedy one night, I'm sure somone on here can sell you a new V6 motor, or better yet go ahead and do a V8 swap, because you're going to need it.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Wet is the safest way top go of course no engine is competely safe in nitrous no matter how well its built.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Never said i was a nitrous pro all that info came from a VERY EXPERICENCED NITROUS PRO, From another forum site i think i'd rather beleive that fellow then you all on the nitrous part of it anyway (as for just stang ? i think this forum is very GOOD, but then again thats just my opinon just like w/ the WET OR DRY just a matter of opinon. Oh and by the way if i want a smaller shot of juice i'll stay w/ my dry kit but when i want all out power from nitrous i'll go WET just like i was adviced to by YES A PRO NITROUS FELLOW. SO i would say this thread is done cause all it sounds like is a old *** married couple arguing back and forth.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE OTHER GOOD ADVICE THOUGH DONT GET ME WRONG THIS FORUM IS ONE OF THE BEST FOR SIXERS :wave2: :thanks: .

Old 06-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

This thread makes me okay i agree that dude prolly does know what hes talking about but One hes saying hes running a 150 shot which makes me think right off hand he has a older V8

Um you do realize that a V8 and V6 are set up differly right? oh wait thats right cause that "nitrous expert" knows alot on the whooping plastic upper intake you have thats so much just like a V8s intake

ah wells believe what you want man. thankfully your only gonna be doing a 50 shot so you wont see anything but hey good luck wit that
Old 06-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Never said i was a nitrous pro all that info came from a VERY EXPERICENCED NITROUS PRO, From another forum site i think i'd rather beleive that fellow then you all on the nitrous part of it anyway (as for just stang ? i think this forum is very GOOD, but then again thats just my opinon just like w/ the WET OR DRY just a matter of opinon. Oh and by the way if i want a smaller shot of juice i'll stay w/ my dry kit but when i want all out power from nitrous i'll go WET just like i was adviced to by YES A PRO NITROUS FELLOW. SO i would say this thread is done cause all it sounds like is a old *** married couple arguing back and forth.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL THE OTHER GOOD ADVICE THOUGH DONT GET ME WRONG THIS FORUM IS ONE OF THE BEST FOR SIXERS :wave2: :thanks: .
OOOOOOooooo... Ok, you should have quoted him. I thought that was you saying that. My apologies.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

sorry didnt know how to quote but i now figured out how to do it, sorry bout that. :dunno:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
nitrous