Car Seat Problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Car Seat Problems

Hello all,

I am expecting my first child later this month and we have received a new convertible car seat. This thing is too big to sit at the proper level without moving the passenger seat all the way up and propping the seat forward because of the deep seats in the back. If I adjust the car seat to fit in the seat then it looks like the seat doesn't lean far enough back to stop the head from falling forward. I am thinking about putting it in the front seat as this is the only place it might fit but I want to disable ONLY the passenger side airbag. Any suggestion on what to do or any help in disabling it would be greatly appreciated.
a3705872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Car Seat Problems

very good question on air bag disabling as to my knowledge there is no pressure sensor. A tune might do it but I doubt it, plus I wouldn't trust it.

BUMP hopefully someone will have an idea.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3705872 View Post
Hello all,

I am expecting my first child later this month and we have received a new convertible car seat. This thing is too big to sit at the proper level without moving the passenger seat all the way up and propping the seat forward because of the deep seats in the back. If I adjust the car seat to fit in the seat then it looks like the seat doesn't lean far enough back to stop the head from falling forward. I am thinking about putting it in the front seat as this is the only place it might fit but I want to disable ONLY the passenger side airbag. Any suggestion on what to do or any help in disabling it would be greatly appreciated.
Congratulations on your first child. I would talk to someone at your local dealer they may have a solution to the airbag problem. If you have the funds purchase an additional vehicle that is more baby friendly. Or return the car seat ( if it possible) and buy one that fits in the mustang.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Mustangs with infant car seats are a nightmare. You can make it fit behind the driver is where I always put it with my seat all the way back against the car seat. I am short.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

the best thing i can suggest is to call your local pd and ask if they have a traffic safety officer that can help with the car seats. there are many police departments up here that if you bring your car to the station they will help set it up for you, no matter the make and model of your car

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
the best thing i can suggest is to call your local pd and ask if they have a traffic safety officer that is can help with the car seats. there are many police departments up here that if you bring your car to the station they will help set it up for you, no matter the make and model of your car
Great point.. I'm sure they would be happy to.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

I know how to disable the airbags but not just one if you dissconnect your battery for atleast 2min to be safe you can unpug the passanger airbag by opening your glovebox and look for a little square plug that has a yellow tab or covering on the wires. BUT IF YOU DO THIS BOTH DRIVER AND PASSENGER AIRBAGS WILL NOT WORK and the airbag light will come on in the dash if you hook it back up you may have to have your computer cleared of the code that shows the airbag was disabled. I've done this before you don't have to worry about the airbag going off like some people say it's bullcrap.
JUST IF YOU PLUG IT BACK IN DISSCONNECT THE BATTERY FIRST AND WAIT 2MIN.

ONLY DO THIS AS A LAST RESORT!!!

Also check with the state laws it might be against the law to dissconnect it in your area.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang