Take off exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #1

Take off exhaust

Hi guys do you think taking an exhaust off a GT and putting it on a v6 is a good idea.
Stang02021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT
Re: Take off exhaust

it depends on why you are wanting to do it...is it for sound (which I don't think you will notice much different from your stock v6 exhaust), looks, or performance (or lack there of)? also, how much of the exhaust are you talking about? just catback or what?
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #3

probaly for some sound and performance. if gt isnt the answer for exhasut than what do you think fro under 400
Stang02021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

here are a few companies with some dual conversions for v6's, but these aren't "true dual" setups, they just have a y-pipe that splits into two at the rear...

JBA Evol™ Exhaust Systems 05-07 Ford Mustang 4.0L V6

MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - For American Muscle Cars

those are both over your $400 range though...plus if you want to go with true duals it will get more expensive than that...from a cost standpoint, you could go with the GT style setup for fairly cheap...you would need the stock catback from a GT and then youd also need to find an x, h, or y pipe to connect them somehow...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
I liek gramer
Legacy

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to WhiteStang99

I have takeoffs on mine and I really like them.

Best way to do it is ask around at local exhaust shops, see if they'll call you when they cut stock exhaust off of a GT. Free exhaust.

They do sound slightly better, but it's not amazing, and I *think* i noticed a little more torque.
WhiteStang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Take offs are the cheapest and easiest way to go. You'll get decent preformance and its fast to do. The sound is MUCH MUCH Better than stock V6 exhaust...GOOD luck
www.tungstengreyregistry.com member #001
My Ride

rmays06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I wouldnt try a GT exhaust just get one built for a V6.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:37 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
I wouldnt try a GT exhaust just get one built for a V6.
Why? Its the cheapest and opens the car up alot more. yes there is tons of after market kits out there but most really like the GT take off.
My Ride

Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well a V6 doesnt have the same exhaust flow as a V8.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well a V6 doesnt have the same exhaust flow as a V8.
:hammer:

Is there anyone in there?
It is a direct bolt on and cost about $25.....what don't you understand about a GT take off? :yank:

I just read some of your other posts, I see where your coming from now, you just don't get it.....
You can and many do put GT take off mufflers on the S197 platform. They bolt directly on the Ford mounts....They breat alot better with the GT take off and sound much better. They have the same size pipes and well it just makes sense. They do flow the same!
GOOD LUCK and I hope you now know more about the S197!
My Ride

Old 06-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmays06 View Post
:hammer:

Is there anyone in there?
It is a direct bolt on and cost about $25.....what don't you understand about a GT take off? :yank:

I just read some of your other posts, I see where your coming from now, you just don't get it.....
You can and many do put GT take off mufflers on the S197 platform. They bolt directly on the Ford mounts....They breat alot better with the GT take off and sound much better. They have the same size pipes and well it just makes sense. They do flow the same!
GOOD LUCK and I hope you now know more about the S197!
If you want the GT sound you should have gotten a GT
Old 06-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you want the GT sound you should have gotten a GT
Well seeing as you a mechanic in TN I'll break it down for you!
He asked about putting a GT exhasut to improve sound.....not to make his motor bigger! He didn't ask about buying a GT or having a V8. NOPE he asked about improving sound quality.
The GT take off is a good option that alot of people use. Since you don't own a V6 or GT in the S197 you don't know do you? Does this car flow like a GT probably not but a 5.0 doesn't flow like a 4.6 either does it?
I bet the designers and engineers at Flowmaster, Borla, Bassani or JBA didn't sit around and say you know what the 4.6 and 4.0 don't have the same exhaust flow so lets redesign a new tube/chamer/canister for the 4.0......HAHA no way they put bracket on mufflers and sold one for the V6 4.0. They didn't do anything different, neither did Ford. But seeing as you wrench for a living you should know that.
Check it out smart guy, stay out of the V6 S197 tech board if you aint got anything good to say or if you just don't know. The last thing I wanna read in a post by a guy who don't own a S197 is you should have done this.....it don't fly.....
My Ride

Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No your not getting what I am saying get something built with the V6 in mind to scavenge to most horse power from your ride from the headers back, yeah I am a part time mechanic now I used to co own a performance shop it pissed me off folks trying to cut corners to build horse power or get a "look". I'm a tightwad myself and will sit and wait for the right part at the right time, the reason my build take longer, if its my own build up that is, as most customers dont want to wait or save a few. There is now way a 4.0 V6 and a 4.6 V8 have the same exhaust flow, yes they may share the same muffler or pipe size but those or two seperate engines with seperate numbers on the dyno. Build something with what you have in mind yeah I dont own a S197, thats true, but I will offer my advice and politely with out taking low blows. I'm very particular when I work on a car when I do it I do it right the first time I have had or have seen to many cheap build go south quickly and cost more....Doing the job right to get the most power is something nowbody can argue with in the right mind set.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No your not getting what I am saying get something built with the V6 in mind to scavenge to most horse power from your ride from the headers back, yeah I am a part time mechanic now I used to co own a performance shop it pissed me off folks trying to cut corners to build horse power or get a "look". I'm a tightwad myself and will sit and wait for the right part at the right time, the reason my build take longer, if its my own build up that is, as most customers dont want to wait or save a few. There is now way a 4.0 V6 and a 4.6 V8 have the same exhaust flow, yes they may share the same muffler or pipe size but those or two seperate engines with seperate numbers on the dyno. Build something with what you have in mind yeah I dont own a S197, thats true, but I will offer my advice and politely with out taking low blows. I'm very particular when I work on a car when I do it I do it right the first time I have had or have seen to many cheap build go south quickly and cost more....Doing the job right to get the most power is something nowbody can argue with in the right mind set.
Very impressive post! Thank for the info. Tons of people have done the GT take off to open the V6 up and sound better. Its a way to do it cheap.
Again, I understand you and basically agree
My Ride

Old 06-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #15

Did it and it's MUCH BETTER than the single JBA I had previously...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02299.JPG
Views:	899
Size:	864.2 KB
ID:	17502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02282.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	823.2 KB
ID:	17503  

Ponyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust