how would true duals sound - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:43 PM   #1

Question how would true duals sound

i was curious if i cut the exaust after the cats and run duals with cherrybomb mufflers would it have a deep throaty sound
millastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: how would true duals sound

Check this site out for sound clips Members Exhaust Sound Clips - 1996-04 Mustang GT & Mach1 - MustangExhaust.com Forums

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #3

im in school i cant really check sound clips, dou you kno any one with that set up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

I don't really know from experience with aftermarket exhaust, but I've gathered that it's hard to get a "throaty" sound from a v6. Unfortunately, you'll never get it to sound like a v8. As far as cherrybombs go ... they're usually pretty loud. I'd imagine it would sound kind of "ricey" in the higher RPM's.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #5

how high in the rpms cause i dont run it hard trough town and thats wat i want is a loud tone at low rpms
Old 06-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to crazeflier07

Earlier on I had cut the exhaust right behind my flowmasters. It didnt have a "throaty" sound to it but it was a lot louder and I guess you could have said you could have thought there was a V8 under the hood. On GTs I think if you use an Xpipe you get a raspier sound then like an H pipe or straight pipes. If you do put the CBs on there and get a cam you might get like a loaping sound at idle but I dont know about when your driving. But getting back to point, if you cut your exhaust you will have a much louder sound in the lower RPMs just because the sound is getting caught under your car. I will say though that if you do do that after a while it does get kinda annoying cause its really loud inside.
~Jon~

Sinister Six
1998 3.8L V6
Done So Far:
~CAI, True dual exhaust, UDPs, MGW Shifter, H&R springs, Stage 1 & 2 supension kit, performance rotors & pads, steel braided lines, 1 inch rear spacers, A.R. Rebel 17x9s with BFG rubber! :thumbs2:
crazeflier07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

i run mach 1 pipes with Dynomax mufflers true out the back. sounds great. nothing like dads 04 GT with SLP loudmouths.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have true duals with two magnapacks turned down right after the cats. A lot of people would say its sounds really beefy. But at higher rpms you could tell its a six shooter.
Exit_In_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Send a message via AIM to 97Stallion Send a message via MSN to 97Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpony02 View Post
I don't really know from experience with aftermarket exhaust, but I've gathered that it's hard to get a "throaty" sound from a v6. Unfortunately, you'll never get it to sound like a v8. As far as cherrybombs go ... they're usually pretty loud. I'd imagine it would sound kind of "ricey" in the higher RPM's.
Not true, people mistake my car for a V8 all the time. Of course nothing is stock on my car. I have an extremely aggressive cam though and a 4.2 Stroker. I also have MAC shorty headers, O/R H-pipe with flowmaster 40's. The reason it's hard to get a throaty sound is two things. First is air volume pushed through the mufflers. GT's have the 4.6L engine, while most of our V6's have a 3.8L. Since I have a 4.2L, I have a slightly deeper sound. Second, those 2 extra cylinders on a V8 have a different firing order which also cause the air to be constantly flowing though the mufflers. A crossover tube on your V6 exhaust to make it an h or X pipe while help your sound some. But to truely get a V8 sound you either need a V8 or a much larger V6. You could theoricly make a V6 a 4.5 or 4.6L. I think RGR was working on that back in the day by boring your cylinder walls .100" over or something, but the cylinder walls would be extremely thin. You could bore your engine .060" over safely and stroke it to make it close to a 4.3 or 4.4L. This would also increase your torque dramaticly. Just some ideas to change the sound of your engine. And finally, changing your mufflers for something else would obviously change the sound, but what ever you do stay away from glasspacks or any other blowthrough design.

60' ~ 2.1, 1/8 ~ 9.61 @ 73.4mph
Living one day at a time!

DAMN Those are some old *** numbers!!! I need updated ones!!
97Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 PM   #10

Region: Illinois

My car isnt quite as modded as 97stallion`s but every one thinks its an 8 for sure. I`m running a stock engine aside from moderate cams and a blower. The exhausts consists of bbk shorty headers, bbk o/r h pipe(94-95 gt), mandrel bent cat back kit from summit w/ turn downs, and hooker aero chamber mufflers. It defenitly sounded like a 5.0. I wanted everyone to know that its a 6 so i cut and welded shut the cross pipe recently. It gave it a higher pitch at wot but a steady growl cruising around town. It just sounds different and thats why i choose that route.
missin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Welcome to the site missin2, glad to see someone new on the site that isn't talking down a 6 in his first post lol.

It's all a matter of what you want the sound to be, it will never sound like a V8 throughout the power band is the main thing anyone wanting to do exhaust on a V6 needs to learn. My car has a good idle but sounds worse the more I hit the loud pedal. Going to try yet another setup and see what I think, I need to just break down and tear into the engine though.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to Drewskie

what do cams do for sound???
Drewskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

A cam basically changes the timing in the opening and closing of the intake and exhaust ports in your heads. By varying the timing the engine either sounds like it is running smoother or gives it a "lope" if you know what that means.

A supporting mod that is often encouraged when doing cams is to buy new heads. By increasing the flow into and out of the combustion chamber and timing the opening and closing of the valves differently, you will pick up power. But, if you are going to do heads, might as well do ported intakes and other supporting mods.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to Drewskie

ahh that sheads a good amount of light onto the subject thank you
Drewskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang