Taking Up Slack In Accelerator Pedal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Taking Up Slack In Accelerator Pedal

If you've noticed there's some slack in the accelerator pedal. An old solution was to insert a nylon spacer under the dash on the cable in front of the arm on the pedal. Well I placed some thick rubber hose on (it was all I had) and all was fine and dandy until the other day when I felt the response was lagging a bit. Reached below noticed the hose was coming off (pushed off by the pedal) and when I got home to fix it couldn't find where it went. So today I went to go look in the daylight still couldn't find it and spent some time figuring out what to do. I popped the hood and was looking at what can be done. I unhooked the cable from the throttle and wrapped it around the lower arm once and reconnect it. Well it took up all the slack, but since I didn't drive it right after I am wondering if this is hurting much. That's where my question lies. Does anyone see a problem with what I did. I gave it some gas both under the hood and with the pedal and everything seems to be Okay, that is nothing is getting tangled or limited. So feedback?

I'll add two photos so you can get a look. Sorry for poor quality it was done with my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	062707_17551.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	17512   Click image for larger version

Name:	062707_17552.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	17513  

OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Taking Up Slack In Accelerator Pedal

Interesting approach. Does it move any (slip) when it is close to WOT?

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

It is an interesting approach. Let us know how it works during actual driving. I would think it would change the geometry of the system, but it might not make any difference. I am especially interested in this since I have the same problem right now and planned to apply the nylon spacer fix (see the "Best way to adjust throttle" thread).
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

If when you push your gas petal down the TB is open fully then you dont need to take up any slack as it will just stretch back out.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
If when you push your gas petal down the TB is open fully then you dont need to take up any slack as it will just stretch back out.
I don't have to worry about that because I know mine doesn't open fully.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry I'm still a bit of a novice here. What do you mean by WOT Brent?

The geometry I'm sure changes, but looking at it and feeling it seems to make no difference. It's still in that little guide and instead of pulling on the original space where it is now, it's pulling in that little slot which would probably make it more responsive, no? Since it is still hooked onto the original spot I feel the tension would still get to there.

It wasn't so much the throttle wasn't opening but the response of it. You have about an inch of slack inside and probably another half or so in the slot. By the time the throttle is opening the pedal is starting to hit carpet. Besides even if it didn't do much in the long run I prefer it this way. Car just feels more alive I guess.

Anyway I'll be heading out shortly and when I return tonight I'll let you all know of any problems or such.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #7
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Wide Open Throttle

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry folks no report tonight. It's been pouring here so it's not worth it to go out. I'll be out this tomorrow so I'll give my report.

I did get to test the throttle before it poured however, again under the hood and on the pedal, and all seems to be well. I didn't notice any slip. I am anxious to go out though so I can get in some local driving and highway driving to see if it does anything.

Oh and WOT = Wide Open Throttle. Yeah I feel smart. lol
Old 06-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Well...I guess that is better than feeling pretty...:dunno:
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well here's my report. Somewhat short however.

Pulling out of my driveway I was careful not to use it since I know it's going to be more sensitive and it was. As I headed down my block it even felt different from the rubber hose. I guess the best way to explain it was that rubber gave it a cushioning, nothing bad, but now without that cushion I feel like I can feel that throttle so much better. I feel as if it reacts the way I do; inch for inch with my foot. I have a nice long straight away by my house which runs next to the parkway. I was hoping this would be a good test area (as long as I hit it at the right time of day). Unfortunately I hit it at the wrong time since that nice long straight away had cars parked along making turning into traffic a chore. So when that happens I do what I always do. Gas it and hope if anyone's there they slow down (I know it sounds unsafe and bad driving but it's unavoidable, even the best of drivers do what I do). And so I did. With a screech got onto the road, looking in my mirror to make sure the cost was clear and let off the gas a little as i went from right lane to left. Potential I knew, but in that situation it was hard to really judge.

As I got to the end of the straight away I hoped onto the parkway. Perfect test since the on ramp is only a car length or two to get on. After that a short patch of grass and a brick wall holding up the overpass. Great place to get up to speed quick. Again, firmly I gassed it. 1st Gear lasted all but 2 seconds. Feeling the hard shift I eased up to catch everything and make it smoother. I never like going through gears like that. Acceleration isn't smooth. As long as it's not important at the time, I'd wait the few seconds to go through gears for the smoother ride. I should have probably already mentioned I do drive an automatic so going through those gears I should expect it to be a little rough.

Anyway as soon as I get on the highway I keep it at a steady 70. Looking for stability. So far so good. I get off onto another busy/hard to get onto road. Confidence in my experiment, and without a screech I pull onto the road and I'm almost immediately up to speed limit (~40mph). Now I have a few lights and stop and go traffic. A good test for durability.

I arrive at the mall and while I was waiting for my girlfriend I popped the hood to check the line and it all looked fine.

I'm hoping this will all go well. Worse comes to worse I buy the spacer. Big whoop. If all of you would like me to keep an update, I'll be glad to do it. I'd also like to see what others think of this version. (This was a 98 3.8). I apologize if this is too report-ish like, I'm used to writing reports for another forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
Old 08-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just thought I'd follow up. After a month of use between city and highway driving I have had no problems with this "mod". Car is still responsive and there is still no slack.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
i found it kinda comical that you asked what it meant and came close to saying it several times in the same post lol.

internet lingo ftw!

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah at the last minute I realized what WOT was and I still wasn't 100% sure.

If only you knew how long it took me to figure out FTW :hmm:
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 10-12-2007, 10:48 PM   #14

Region: Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Siraco

This forum is great! Now i have something to do tomorrow, haha
1998 Mustang, Blue, V6, Pony package... MTX 1000 watt 2 channel amp with the ****tiest sub, hopefully upgrading to two 12 inch JL audio subs very very verry soon..2.25 flowmaster muffler..would have a dual setup if i wasnt paying college off... CAI that i'm too dumb to put in myself... yeah i'm real proud of myself! :eek:
Siraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Found another method

1" hollow nylon spacer or some stiff plastic tubing
2 small hose clamps (for testing/temporary use, zip ties work great!)
Utility Knife (Exacto Knife)
Flat head screwdriver

using about a length about one and a quarter inch (1 1/4") long to take up all the slack. The result is a very touchy gas pedal, the less slack taken up the more throttle play you will have. You may want to make a slight change to the length after you give this mod a try. Zip ties are useful because they are easy to put on and cut off, but I would use the hose clamps as a permanent solution for when you decide on a length because zip ties could slide/move.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BFA587B0ED494A9791218AE34796624D.jpg
Views:	760
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	18100

First, slice along the length of one side of the spacer so you are able to slide it over the throttle cable. Next, squeeze yourself into the floor so you can see the top of your pedal, where the cable links to the pedal arm*. Lift the gas pedal, this should cause the slack in the cable to become very apparent. slide the spacer over the cable. The spacer should now be butting up against the cable's end cap, the pedal arm and holding the cable out. Use you fasteners (whether you are using the zip ties or the hose clamps) and fasten one near each end of the spacer. Make sure everything is secure, and...

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania

That's what he did originally but he used rubber hose instead. The nylon spacer is the method I used in both of my mustangs.

-Denver
2002 Mineral Grey GT, 5-speed: MGW short throw, JLT CAI: SOLD
2002 Electric Green V6, Auto: SOLD
greenpony02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpony02 View Post
That's what he did originally but he used rubber hose instead. The nylon spacer is the method I used in both of my mustangs.
Yeah that will make a huge Difference using the rubber method

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 10-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I wasn't able to find the right nylon spacer and everything, I kinda had to make due with what I had. I also didn't like the fact there was that stub in front of the pedal, it'd bend and such which I didn't like and wanted to get rid of that.

As a follow up I still have had no problems with my version.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I just wrapped the cable around the piece that spins and slides into the throttle arm. One time and it did the trick, held steady for 3+ years
Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

After finishing up the Honey Do list Sunday. I decided to get my *** under the dash to take up the slack in the cable What the hell does ford have the munchkins working for them It took me about 2 to 3 minutes just to get my 210 Lbs body in the correct position to do a 45 second job
But the results are well worth the pain throttle responce is 100% better

Quote:
Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's one of the other reasons i like my way better lol. I'm a small guy and it was hard for me to squeeze under the dash. The best way I was able to get in was to move the seat all the way back and recline the seat and lay on the seat upside down, and I still couldn't fit half the top of my body under there. Extremely awkward.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang