TMA Turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
TMA Turbo

Well, I'm about half way to being able to purchase a turbo. I was looking at the TMA turbo site. Are the turbos decent, and can they be applied and produce real power without major work to the engine(3.8)? I'm sure dark shadow could help answer. ...or should i go with a supercharger, I've heard the v6's benefit from a turbo more.
sonicpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow
Re: TMA Turbo

He deals only in name brands such as Garret and Precision so yes, the turbos are top of the line. If you want, you can also upgrade any kit to a ball bearing turbo.
Can be done with just necessary fuel upgrades and maybe an upgraded MAF all depending on how much boost you want.

As for SC vs. TC...meh. It's all in your preference and what you want done with it. Some like SC's for no lag, but a proper sized turbo can have very little lag. As for numbers for numbers: SC's make more power than turbos, BUT being belt driven, SC's rob a fair amount of power from the engine. Whereas turbos use the engine's waste and cause little power loss, IE exhaust restriction and heat. So, overall, "most of the time" turbos churn out bigger final numbers in equal comparisons.

One thing I will say for a Supercharger though is that they will be a bit easier to instal then a turbo system.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info dark shadow. Which turbo do you have? I am trying to get close to my friend's 93 3000 GT TT VR4(close to 400 HP)

How would the twin turbo setup work if i already have modified exhaust>
y pipe converter back (oops) would i have to remove it for dumps, i'm not sure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Is that 400 at the crank or is that an AW figure? If it's crank, you should get fairly close, but if it's at his wheels, you need to build the engine and so forth to raise boost high enough to compete. Plus he is AWD so he can probably hook it better.

No, that set up should be fine. Turbos like as little back pressure after the turbo as possible so, I suppose the ideal would be dumps but would sound like butt. I would just make sure you have a nice set of flow through mufflers and you MIGHT want to remove your cat. I don't know where you live and if they have inspections or not, but that would help a lot. Plus the turbo acts as about 1/3 of a muffler so it wont sound as bad as a stock V6 with no cats. Ask anyone on here that has heard my car in person. My set up is a 3" dump to a Y with no cats and 2 mufflers.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I would expect around 330/330 give or take by a bit at the rear wheels on a 99-04 v6 at around 10psi~ thats just a guess of course as every application is off a bit.

A turbo will be better overall but they cost more generally.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

400 HP is only a guess. He just bought the car two days ago and said it has upgraded turbos. It has ported heads, maybe a new cam, over 8000 in the engine. I think the stock ones have around 320 HP.

Could i install the turbo setup or should i have someone do it. I am mechanically inclined but i don't want to screw it up.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to crazeflier07

I would say try it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. You'll get a better understanding for the system and if something happens you may be able to figure out what the problem is yourself instead of having to pay someone to do it for you.
~Jon~

Sinister Six
1998 3.8L V6
Done So Far:
~CAI, True dual exhaust, UDPs, MGW Shifter, H&R springs, Stage 1 & 2 supension kit, performance rotors & pads, steel braided lines, 1 inch rear spacers, A.R. Rebel 17x9s with BFG rubber! :thumbs2:
crazeflier07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's easy enough, you will just need a good amount of tools and be able to be without a car or use another for several days. Also get ready for late night runs to a parts store before they close for misc things you never thought of.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Great, i'll have to go without a car for a few days. I guess i'll be waiting until i'm in college where i won't need the car. Right now i'm working almost every day, and can't get a hold of another car...unless i bought another stang

Misc. trips to the hardware store hmm, its a good thing i work there

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

« GT H pipe | pissed »