4v swap questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
4v swap questions

Ok im new here but not to the muskrat world. Let me start by saying the owner of the company i work for has a 95 v6 that hit over 500hp. It has d1sc procharger, a little shot, gm t-56 trans with hydraulic clutch. Pretty much everything is custom because of the unavailability of parts. Let me tell you he didnt think about cost while doing this car. Long story short after a few years of beating the car it went boom a few weeks ago. So as me being familiar with 4v's owning an 03 cobra that is the swap i want to do. Plus if you owned a 4v before you know why. Long story short i am looking for good info or point me to good info on any issues i might come across, besides the obvious. Take that back anything just in case i did forget something. I will post a link for all you e-thugs that want to call BS. Im not looking to get into a pissing match her I literally joined this forum to get some good info on the V6 side of the house. Thanks for all the help in advance.

1996 Ford Mustang Saleen - Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine
blownsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: 4v swap questions

It bolts in...don't see the issue...
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Re: 4v swap questions

Yeah i heard that dohc 4.6 is the most popular bolt on for these engines On a side note probably will have a lot of great v6 parts for sale really soon any questions pm me.

P.s. lowflyn Sonic Blue is my favorite terminator besides Mineral Grey of coarse
blownsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: 4v swap questions

wait a minute what are you trying to do?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Re: 4v swap questions

dropping in a 4.6 4valve into his 95 which used to have a 500hp v6. Already Have a T56 gm trans and a built 9 inch rear end.
blownsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
upton7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 1,756
Re: 4v swap questions

oh lol. I thought u were talking about putting 4v v8 heads on a v6 lol.
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: 4v swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownsnake View Post
So as me being familiar with 4v's owning an 03 cobra that is the swap i want to do. Plus if you owned a 4v before you know why. Long story short i am looking for good info or point me to good info on any issues i might come across, besides the obvious. Take that back anything just in case i did forget something. I will post a link for all you e-thugs that want to call BS. Im not looking to get into a pissing match her I literally joined this forum to get some good info on the V6 side of the house. Thanks for all the help in advance.

1996 Ford Mustang Saleen - Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine

Why would we call BS on a 500hp V6 Mustang?? This isn't the first time anyone has seen that. We have some pretty potent sixers on this site.

The swap should be simple as pie as you have most everything in place already.

BTW the car looks good.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
silverstangboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 583
Re: 4v swap questions

not to thread jack, but do alot of people have problems with the 8.8"s?

I keep hearing of folks putting 9"s into SN95's when the 8.8 is a bolt-in.
__________________


93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: 4v swap questions

The 8.8s and 9s are pretty much the same rear end give or take some here and there. some people just choose the 9 over the 8.8 based on mere fact as it's somewhat rare (or uncommon) and still stronger. Nobody has a real nead for the 9 over the 8 unless you have a serious launching car.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
hottcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,638
Re: 4v swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
The 8.8s and 9s are pretty much the same rear end give or take some here and there. some people just choose the 9 over the 8.8 based on mere fact as it's somewhat rare (or uncommon) and still stronger. Nobody has a real nead for the 9 over the 8 unless you have a serious launching car.
the 8.8 and the nine inch are completely different in every way.

the 9in uses a third member or "center chunk" with spanners to adjust backlash.

where the 8.8 has a carrier style setup and uses shims to adjust backlash.

The 9in is ten times stronger than a 8.8 and great for racers cause if you have other complete center chunks with different gear ratios. you can change your gear ratio at the track on the ground in about 30 minutes with out and special.

The downfall to the 9in is that it's heavier than the 8.8 and it robs more horsepower out of the drivetrain.

A lot of racers are starting to use the Dana 60. As its lighter and robs less power than the 9in, and almost as strong as the 9in.
__________________

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
SaleenFiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Louisiana
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,318
Re: 4v swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
the 8.8 and the nine inch are completely different in every way.

the 9in uses a third member or "center chunk" with spanners to adjust backlash.

where the 8.8 has a carrier style setup and uses shims to adjust backlash.

The 9in is ten times stronger than a 8.8 and great for racers cause if you have other complete center chunks with different gear ratios. you can change your gear ratio at the track on the ground in about 30 minutes with out and special.

The downfall to the 9in is that it's heavier than the 8.8 and it robs more horsepower out of the drivetrain.

A lot of racers are starting to use the Dana 60. As its lighter and robs less power than the 9in, and almost as strong as the 9in.
Had no idea. Thanks Louis.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
silverstangboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 583
Re: 4v swap questions

very cool info

Ask and ye shall recieve
__________________


93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Split port swap questions big show 98 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 13 01-09-2010 03:27 PM
7.5 to 8.8 rearend swap questions... strawdog Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 06-18-2009 04:11 PM
swap questions ryanxup Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 01-27-2007 12:02 PM
I have a couple 5.0 swap questions colinsv6stang 1979-1995 Mustang GT 5 04-28-2006 01:18 PM
Yup, more v6 to 4.6 swap questions fast64 1996-2004 Mustang GT 10 06-19-2005 02:30 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



01:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.