Coolant Temp. Sending Unit Trouble!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Coolant Temp. Sending Unit Trouble!!!

Hey guys, sorry I haven't posted anything up for a long while I've just been really busy with school and work since I'm graduating next may. Anyways, as I was coming home today from school I saw that my temperature gauge was reading vary high. It was at the L from the word NORMAL then jumping back to like the M and then back to the L. So I was just praying to god that I made it home without over heating my stang. Thankfully I did, now I found out that where the Coolant Temperature Sending Unit( will be calling it CTS for short) is located is leaking a lot of water but not from the CTS unit itself. It is leaking where the bypass hose is located feeding in to the water pump. Now, what my question is what the hell is that piece of metal called where the CTS unit and the bypass hose is sitting on. I have been searching the net for over 3 hrs now and no luck. Please if anyone knows the exact name of this piece let me know asap. This is my daily driver and I need this babe back on the road. By the way I own a 97 Mustang v6. Some of my mods are small like CAI, 3.73 gears with posi tract, 56mm throttle. Thanks guys.
falconplayer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky
Re: Coolant Temp. Sending Unit Trouble!!!

I dont know if there is an actual name for it other that a fitting, but it will be a dealer item or junkyard item.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah I'm trying to picture this fitting as well and my stang is an hour away so I can't go out and look. I'd say try a haynes manual or check with your local ford dealership...they usually have blowups/lists with every engine component.

Is the the outlet tube that may be leaking? I would think it is either the CTS, where the fitting connects, or the outlet tube that woul be leaking.

Is this what you're talking about?

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well I found out that it was the outlet tube that broke off the module. It first had a crack and as I was trying to take off the bypass hose it just snaped off. I was like holy **** man im screwed. There goes the option for JB weld lol. Anyways, the local dealer told me it was called the thermostat housing but that is a load of crap. I did search in my haynes book but no luck. I tryed to describe it to the boy at oreilly and autozone but no luck there to. They just kept giving me the same name "thermostat housing". I dont know man but im about to just bye a new freaking car if I cant find this part. I attached some photos of it so that you can see clearer on what im talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close up on broken module.jpg
Views:	3928
Size:	761.8 KB
ID:	22279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine photo.jpg
Views:	30080
Size:	923.2 KB
ID:	22280  

Name:	IMAG0048.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	714.6 KB
ID:	22281  
Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It looks like the outlet tube snapped off what might be the coolant outlet elbow. The Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor or Sending Unit attaches to it. It's weird because on some 3.8's, the ECT attaches to the top, and yours it looks like it attaches at an angle, I guess the older 94-98's have 2 coolant sensors and the 99-04's have 1.

If that is the coolant outlet elbow I believe it is connected to the lower intake manifold. To replace it you'd have to remove the upper and lower intakes to get to it. I can't say for sure since I don't have that style engine and am not familiar with it. If there wasn't 7 inches of snow I'd go the salvage yard and look, they have about 4 94-98 v6's.

I'd say your best bet would be to either check with your local Ford dealership, see if that's what it is (take a couple good pictures and show the mechanic). If it is, see if they could order that part or check a salvage yard and see if you an remove one from a v6 there.

Either way, my guess would be that it's going to involve tearing half the engine apart (at least upper/lower intakes) to replace that component. If it didn't snap off completely I'd say try and make it work, but in that condition there's no way to jimmy it up.

Keep in mind I'm basing this off pictures and some research, it'd be much easier if I had an actual engine to look at, I'm better at figuring **** out that way lol. Hope this helps and keep us update with what you find out or decide.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Here it is on the 99-04 3.8's. Where that tube connects is where yours snapped off. The Coolant Temp Unit is locate just before the upper intake.

Name:	99-04 ECT pic.png
Views:	11677
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	22285

Old 12-04-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

WOW, man that engine looks damn nice and pretty lol. Mine looks like crap lol. As you can tell when that piece snapped off it really made a huge mess under my hood. It was't always that ugly. Anyways, that engine you showing me looks way different then mine. The sensor is apart from the elbow as in mine there attached and it does look like it has two. If you blow up one of the pics you see a sensor to the side that looks like thats the second one you guys are talking about. As I was looking through the engine today I saw that the coolant elbow if thats the name of it just screws right up. I don't know but im going to try to take it off tomorrow and hit up some junk yards. The dealership told me that it was a discontinued item but like I said before they were giving me a totally different name which was the "thermostat housing" and thats not the part I need. If it is called the coolant bypass elbow then yeah it is not the part lol. I will keep you guys posted on this and tell you what happen. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Glad you're able to get if figured out...yah I wouldn't be surprised if that elbow is discontinued, some OEM parts they only made a certain amount of and that was that...sometimes other companies may produce reproduction pieces but that may not be the case for this part.

It seems like Ford may have changed the location of those sensors a few times over the years. The first pic I posted is from an earlier 3.8, maybe a 94 or 95, and the second pic is from a 99-04 3.8. They only had 1 sensor and positioned it right in front of the intake. On yours one of the sensors is at an angle where that 94 or 95 has it directly on the top.

Definitely hit up a junk yard and see if you can get one off a wrecked v6. Probably get it fairly cheap. Good luck and keep us posted

Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Road Trip!

You can find that part on just about any 3.8L 89-98 in thunderbird, mustang, vans anything that came with the 3.8L call a junkyard and see if you can go out a unbolt it yourself. I called the local u pull and save they only want $5 bucks for the part you need.

And it does just unsrew from the intake.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
You can find that part on just about any 3.8L 89-98 in thunderbird, mustang, vans anything that came with the 3.8L call a junkyard and see if you can go out a unbolt it yourself. I called the local u pull and save they only want $5 bucks for the part you need.

And it does just unsrew from the intake.
Yah that's what I was thinking...that part seems pretty standard on all 3.8 v6's...just make sure to get the same elbow as your engine...one with the sensor in the same spot.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys sorry I haven't responded finals where this week and I have been really busy with that. Anyways, I already fixed my car. I ended up hitting some of the junk yard and luckily I found some mustang with the part. The only thing was that we where having a lot of trouble putting it on. We didn't want to take off the upper intake and the fuel railing to be able to put the part threw so we just unscrewed the intake lifted it up far enough to get it past it and we bent the railing just a little to clear it. All this was before we sawed off like about 1/2 an inch from the tube that connected the bypass hoes. I needed to saw it anyways because it was already rusting from the tip so before I ran in to the same problem I just sawed it off. So we screwed it in and we bent the railing back to it normal position, sat the intake back and were good to go. And my little joy ride for getting my stang back did not last very long unfortunately. When I was coming back from school on Monday my car pops a freeze plug and then my stupid water temp. gauge decides to read normal all the way until i hear my engine knocking on how heated it was. So as I go to stop to check what happened the car turns off on me. At this point I was about to give up and just junk it but I cooled down and I checked and it was only my freeze plug that goes right next to the motor mount so I thought cool its not that hard to get out and put a new one. So I getter done and she start up again until I get another fu**en leak and this time its from another freeze plug that in between the motor mount and the engine. Now when I saw this I was like holy crap man your joking here goes another 6 hr job lifting the engine off the mount replacing the plug then sitting it back down. It took about 4 hrs but damn it I was frustrated after. Luckily after I was done I had my baby back on the road and I got happy when I turned her on and hear her yell down the road. Damn it feels good. lol I don't know but it seems like too much bad luck for a span of a week and a half. lol I was just lucky I didn't fry the o'rings or the gaskets.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Yeah that sucks! but gad its on the road again. If I was you I would put a aftermarket gauge where the temp sending unit goes and relocate the stock gauge to the metal heater core pipe on the passenger side near your intake hose like I did on mine. Its a allen plug. You will have to add some wire for your stock gauge. But it works great on mine.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's a really good suggestion. That would eliminate the guessing of the gauge if its working correctly or giving me a false reading like the other time. I'm interested in this can you give me more info on how to connect an external temperature gauge and where is the best place to buy them? I also wanted to put an external oil pressure gauge since mine keeps bouncing everywhere from time to time. It bounces from being slightly to the right then to the left then right again and it won't stay still like it use too. I'm thinking of just taking off the clock that's on the middle of the Dashboard and putting the external gauges there. I don't know....any suggestions or ideas?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #14
Road Trip!

I would just buy the sunpro gauges from autozone or napa some place like that. If you don't know where your oil sending unit is i'll tell you, its between the water pump and the alternator bracket its round and has one or two wire like the temp gauge sending unit. Here is a pic of your motor with the red marks I did to show you. the big blob of red at the lower right is where your oil sending unit is. the red arrow is the allen plug where you need to put your factory gauge at and i circled the temp gauge sending unit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang