Mustang in the Snow? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Mustang in the Snow?

Hey guys do you guys know how well mustangs drive in snowy weather, movin up to Reno where it snows and just wondering how a pony would live in the snow
tvsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Mustang in the Snow?

Well, it's purely based off how you drive...110% sure about that and I'd say just about everyone else who's driven one in the snow would agree.

Allow enough time to brake, go easy around turns, have a light foot and you'll be fine. They aren't the best vehicles to drive in winter, so if you had the chance to pick up a winter "beater", I'd do so, but if not, there are some things you can do to help keep your pony out of the ditch.

Buy some winter tires...blizzaks or continentals are some very good winter rated tires. I know quite a few owners who use them on their rwd vehicles and do quite well in 6in of snow.

Throw some weight in the trunk. When I drove mine one winter, I threw 2 75lb sand tubes in the trunk over the rear wheels, helped out a ton...and when I needed some added traction on ice, I tossed some sand in front of the wheels.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while and plan on driving it year round...get a tlok
Nothing's worse than trying to gain traction and only having one wheel spinning. In some cases the open differential made due, but in most cases a tlok would've been nice.
Hey it's a great reason to get one

Make sure to keep your car clean inside and out. Wash it at least once a week if salt is used on the roads and vacuum the interior (especially the floor) regularly. Your car can real nasty very quickly during the winter season.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

^^^ Yes everything he said, I'll tell you how I do in 4 inches getting ready to get hit with some snow and ice but my rear is welded and I have some reeeaaally agressive snow/mud tires on the back.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thanks sonicpony03 im adding tloks to my list what about chains I heard that there are chains or something that go over your tires can these work the same as snow tires?
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsr View Post
thanks sonicpony03 im adding tloks to my list what about chains I heard that there are chains or something that go over your tires can these work the same as snow tires?
The thing about snow chains are that you cant run them on a road that has no snow on it and you'll have to take them off and on all the time. You can get studded snow tires that will do great in the snow and on ice, just check your local laws on running studded tires.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Oh i though you could leave the chains on, Its cuz I want something that I dont have to be replacing every winter I dont think UNR will let me have Snow tires in my dorm during spring. Will All Season tires do the job?
Old 12-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on how much snow/ice you get there. If you get a few inches total during the whole "season" then I'd say all seasons would be fine. But if you can get +12" in one snowfall like we did this weekend then I'd consider snow tires.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 12-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah forgot to ask...are you going to be runnin the 20's during winter, because I'm not sure they make lo pro winter tires...

Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah i didn't think of that I don't really plan on taking off my 20's, i think im going to look for a small truck like a frontier and use that for the winter.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya that probably wouldn't be a bad idea...you could probably buy a small truck for the price of a winter set of wheels/rims.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

rear wheel drive is notoriously bad in snow...all u can really do is drive carefully and if ur back and starts to go out then just gradually turn towards the direction its going out at...most people end up doing the opposite and screw themselves
junoS197Bl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Well went out in the snow today with the stang it did pretty good until I headed home and barely made it up my hill. we had about a inch of ice under 3-4 inches of snow and the hill is pretty darn steep. I was the only rear wheel drive car/truck to make it up it without tire chains. Only thing is when I was spinning going up the hill my overdrive light started to flash, i tried to turn off the o/d but it wouldn't work. I have been told that maybe my tranny overheated and it was a warning???? Has anybody had this happen to them.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanx guys for the input YEa id rather buy a truck then to risk my 99, My tranny never overheated Mine is always on overdrive it remains on all the time when i turn it on its always on

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang