I wanna go fast - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Exclamation I wanna go fast

Hey so I need some cheap and easy ways to make my 02 v6 faster. I was think gears and took but is there anything else I already have cai and dual exhaust
ponyboy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: I wanna go fast

you could do some shorty headers for around 300 or so, but you probably wont see more than a few horsepower out of them, you could also do underdrive pulleys as well, but you will also see miniscual gains. Do u have a tune on it? I know that tunes don't cause as much progression on the 3.8's but it might still be worth it, especially if at a certain point u plan on goin forced induction, etc.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

You'll gain a significant 'in the seat of your pants' feel from gears.

If done as a combination: CAI, Exhaust, & Tune can be pretty respectibile when you consider $$ per horsepower/feel of the vehicle.

My personal reccomendations begin with a Tune, CAI, Exhaust (assuming the car is auto) to help improve the engine and get the most from the Transmission. Posi-Lock Chunk with a higher gear ratio 3.73s will more than likely be satisfyable for you.

If you can do headers at the beginning then do make the swap as you will notice significant gains from longtubes.

Secondly weight savings and suspension upgrades can always make the car more enjoyable and quicker in specific situations.

Can-tunes (mail order tunes) are good for a beginner or limited budget but I always recommend you find a reputable tuner and have a Dyno Tune or Datalog/Email tune session.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

ok thank you there are some firebirds and ricers bugging me i jus wanna smoke em
Old 12-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
I think 3.73s, a tune, CAI. Lowering the suspension was the best mod that I did to mine. Handles way better.

Edit: oh yes, exhaust.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah CAI, exhaust, gears/tlok and a tune are the best "starting out" bolt ons. Maybe a UDP if you don't plan on supercharging since they have been dyno proven to make gains of 5-8rhwp which isn't too bad.

With those engine/drivetrain mods you'll have a quick six that will most likely beat those bothersome v6 f-bodies and rice cannons.

If you're an auto which I think you are iirc, the tune will be huge. Getting a few custom tunes with some aggressive parameters will really wake the car up. Just having a tune that alters and firms up the shifts points will make you **** your pants

Also, don't forget suspension, weight reduction and brakes. Simple things like a rear seat delete, subframe connectors and lowering springs will make a difference in the long run.

I personally would love to see your car lowered...the silver with black is just demanding a drop = uber sexiness

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Look your kinda screwed cause it's a v6 and unless you are putting in a turbo it will never be fast but here's what I did to my 2000 gt and I am running 12.5s on street tires. First you need gears,because it's a sixxer I suggest 4.10s for the quickest off the line snap. I went with 3.90s because I still need a little bit of highway fuel economy. K a cold air intake is a waste of money so of you didn't buy one yet don't,just pull off that rubber silencer and your good to go. Next is a tuner because it will pull that little bit off extra horsepower back in that ford tuned out. Next is nitrous. You can run a 75 shot safely on stock internals,maybe even 100 if you get it dyno tuned and your motor is in tip top shape. Now exhaust with our cars is a funny thing. If you aren't gonna but long tubes don't even waste your money and time the shorty type because they barely outflow your stock manifolds. And installing long tubes is a pita expect it to cost about 500 bucks just for install. Your car would benifit from a cat back system off the manifolds tho.... Buy the off road ones but save your stock exhaust so you can put it back on if you have emisions testing. A bigger throttle body will give you crisper throttle response too.... K remember the order and american muscle sells the tuner and gears together so buy that first then nitrous then exhaust then throttle body and intake. You can pull off the intakes from the ford windstar and they are usually hood for about 10 or 15 hp and maybe 20 ft/lbs of torque and you will definitely feel that. I think that about covers it. Or you can put on a blower and forget all of this. Merry Christmas
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

V6's have potential, much more than people think. The motor can be built, it wont make 400hp N/A but it will make 300hp at the flywheel so it just depends on where you want to end up. Building the motor with forged internals then putting a power adder some V6's have had 700rwhp so its possible, just not cheap.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Look your kinda screwed cause it's a v6 and unless you are putting in a turbo it will never be fast but here's what I did to my 2000 gt and I am running 12.5s on street tires. First you need gears,because it's a sixxer
You do realize that a huge majority of our members are 6ers? We aren't here to degrade fellow Mustang driver's vehicles. We all have a starting point and if he can only afford a V6, chooses to continue using V6s from personal prefrence, or continues deeper into the money hole of Mustangs then that's his choice and opinion. Fast for someone may not be fast for you. We all have different wants and needs. He is looking for a way to put some pep into his step and I don't think he's planning on running 12.50s anytime soon. Let's try and keep a positive attitude and help everyone out around here. I'm not being rude...

Quote:
I suggest 4.10s for the quickest off the line snap. I went with 3.90s because I still need a little bit of highway fuel economy.
Yes, Automatics respond well to 4.10s and 3.90 is a good aggressive gear for a Manual. It's all a matter of opinion and If you have friends with gears test drive their cars and see what you like.

Quote:
K a cold air intake is a waste of money so of you didn't buy one yet don't,just pull off that rubber silencer and your good to go.
CAIs may not provided major performance PEAK (keyword PEAK) gains themselves but they do play a major role in the grand scheme of things in any car. The first steps to a modding path almost always includes Intake/Exhaust as they liven the car up across the board.

Quote:
  • Buy the off road ones but save your stock exhaust so you can put it back on if you have emisions testing.
  • You can pull off the intakes from the ford windstar and they are usually hood for about 10 or 15 hp and maybe 20 ft/lbs of torque
Always great Ideas.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
Road Trip!

I wasn't trying to degrade anyone and if I have hurt someones feelings I am truly sorry. I never meant my comments to be degrading in any way. I apologise if I came across that way
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
Road Trip!

And the bright side of a sixxer is it is still a mustang
Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

yup, I keep telling everyone that if it wasnt for those driving the V6 mustang there would be NO v8... they allow us V8 owners the right to have V8 mustangs so thank them for owning V6's.

I owned two before my cobra and they were both great cars and are just as much a Mustang as any other one
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
And the bright side of a sixxer is it is still a mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
yup, I keep telling everyone that if it wasnt for those driving the V6 mustang there would be NO v8... they allow us V8 owners the right to have V8 mustangs so thank them for owning V6's.

I owned two before my cobra and they were both great cars and are just as much a Mustang as any other one
Spot on Brother.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Well from a v6 owner they suck! Thats why i'm going v8, not 302 but 351W because i'm getting 15-16 avg mpg in my 6 and I know for a fact I can get that out of a v8 and have the sound and power i'm looking for. But I do own a older v6 and if I had a newer one it might be different. My focus svt has more HP's than my stang.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #16
Road Trip!

I get 15 city and 25 highway in my 2000 gt
Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
I get 15 city and 25 highway in my 2000 gt
Thats my point, I'd be lucky to get 25 hwy in my v6 and i've done everything I can to improve the gas mpg other than stripping the car for less weight, motor runs like a new one, has plenty of power for a v6. Just don't know why its hard on gas?????
Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Underpowered for weight of car. It takes everything just to get that 3500 lbs moving so there is no surplus
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #19
Road Trip!

No matter how you cut the dice it takes a certain amount of fuel energy to move the car weather it's a v6 or a v8 it still takes the same amount of energy. It's just that v8 motors create a surplus whereas the v6 have just enough to get it going and maintain. Twin turbos will do the trick
Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Twin turbos will do the trick
What do you do for a living?
Old 12-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Look your kinda screwed cause it's a v6
wow really? you just lost any respect i was maybe gunna have for you.

How bout one day ill just buy a shelby Gt 500 and say the same gay comment to you...ill just be like I mean I wouldnt buy a GT if you dont wanna go fast. and if you knwo anything about mustang V6 then you would now that the new v6's put out about the same horsepower and more than many GT's did even a few years ago.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Underpowered for weight of car. It takes everything just to get that 3500 lbs moving so there is no surplus
wow again....yeah thats totally the reason that it gets bad gas mileage...cuz that totally makes soo much sense as to why V6 mustangs get "bad" gas mileage...last time i checked the 2011 v6 weighed more at 3580lbs than my car weighing 3350...and underpowered? I'm not driving a Toyota Tercel.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No matter how you cut the dice it takes a certain amount of fuel energy to move the car weather it's a v6 or a v8 it still takes the same amount of energy. It's just that v8 motors create a surplus whereas the v6 have just enough to get it going and maintain.
Only theoretically, and in a completely different situation of constants, does this concept apply-----actually, Your statement is as far from the truth as possible.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
Only theoretically, and in a completely different situation of constants, does this concept apply-----actually, Your statement is as far from the truth as possible.
agreed, plus Everett if you want to get into the physics of energy that an internal combustion engine produces then you should be driving a diesel because per unit of diesel fuel more of the energy is used, so realistically in an internal combustion engine about 2/3 of the energy your engine produces is lost to radiant heat. And if you want to get further into it then you should be driving an electric car because they are even more efficient for the energy provided.

And even as far as car standards go, some reviewers think that the V6 mustangs have too much power for a normal coup, for instance Is 300's are quoted to have a power ratio of about .65 (at 225hp) which just to give one example is quoted to have two much power.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy94 View Post
Hey so I need some cheap and easy ways to make my 02 v6 faster. I was think gears and took but is there anything else I already have cai and dual exhaust
Floor it going down a mountain, Then you can go real fast.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Floor it going down a mountain, Then you can go real fast.
The biggest mountains we have in Baton Rouge, LA happen to be the Miss. River Bridge, Interstate Over passes, and Parking Garage Level exchangers.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Yeah, it's flat here.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenFiend View Post
The biggest mountains we have in Baton Rouge, LA happen to be the Miss. River Bridge, Interstate Over passes, and Parking Garage Level exchangers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
Yeah, it's flat here.
Well I guess your all slow and screwed LOL.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I like it flat. I'm too clumsy otherwise.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
I like it flat. I'm too clumsy otherwise.
I like driving down curvy long backroads myself.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:42 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I do too. My mom lives on the NY/PA state border near nowhere. It's a gorgeous drive in Oct.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do too. My mom lives on the NY/PA state border near nowhere. It's a gorgeous drive in Oct.
I love Hills and such. Even Driving around Austin Texas they have some pretty steep setups. I would love to see the Apps or Rockies!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

i like it flat (not my women tho) lol
Old 12-31-2010, 12:48 AM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy94 View Post
i like it flat (not my women tho) lol
Yes women have to have nice curves a hills also.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang