would like some insight - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #1

Region: New York
would like some insight

well this is the v6 section so, lets discuss my v6 and getting some power outta it.
ive got a cold air intake, and a high flow muffler. and id like some new goals to work towards.

i want to be able to beat my buddys pontiac grand am. hes running 3.4l with a complete block back exhaust system, cold air intake and i think hes running on premium. anyway his track time is 15.2 sure thats not impressive but i dont think my mustang can beat that. considering its an automatic.

now what can i do to make this thing a little beefier and quicker with not a hole lot of cash?
95white is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95white
well this is the v6 section so, lets discuss my v6 and getting some power outta it.
ive got a cold air intake, and a high flow muffler. and id like some new goals to work towards.

i want to be able to beat my buddys pontiac grand am. hes running 3.4l with a complete block back exhaust system, cold air intake and i think hes running on premium. anyway his track time is 15.2 sure thats not impressive but i dont think my mustang can beat that. considering its an automatic.

now what can i do to make this thing a little beefier and quicker with not a hole lot of cash?
Nitrous, cheap and effective!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

Re: would like some insight

how much could this car handle safely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
how much could this car handle safely?
If it was mine, and yes I've had 2 cars with nitrous, I probably wouldn't go over a 75 shot. Nitrous is a little underrated, and it also nets more torque gains than horsepower gains as well. I would suggest Nitrous Express or even ZEX for beginners.
How many miles does the car have?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:47 PM   #5

according to the ticker its got 180K how ever the previous owner claims the engine was replaced and only has 60k on it.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
according to the ticker its got 180K how ever the previous owner claims the engine was replaced and only has 60k on it.
Without some kind of documentation, I wouldn't buy too far into that. With 180k, I would probably not go over a 75 shot and I would keep my fingers crossed every time I sprayed.
I would reccomend an intake and exhaust at least before you bolted on the nitrous though. As long as you are responsible with nitrous, it is definitely the best bang for the buck hp adder!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Road Trip!

And know too this advice is coming from a guy who put a 75 shot on an 88 Honda Accord 2.0 4cyl with 278k on it with no issues even after 10 or 12 bottles ran through it!!
This is why I will never put Honda engines down LOL.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

hah wow. i dont talk about hondas to much anmore because i had a turbocharged toyota supra and i lost a race to a honda civic hatchback turbo
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yes nitrous is the best bang for the buck mod, but every time you use it you risk the chance of engine damage/failure especially when the engine condition is unknown.

If you are mechnically inclined and comfortable in tearing apart the upper/lower intake, I'd suggest doing a split port swap from a 99+ 3.8. This will get you up to those specs ~190-193hp at the crank compared to your 150.

But if you're more comfortable with something that's "plug and play" I'd suggest a tuner.
Since you already have a CAI and some exhaust, I'd suggest a handheld tuner with custom tunes. The tune will take full advantage of the bolt ons and wake that auto transmission the hell up. That's probably the biggest benefit from the tunes regarding auto cars. Depending on the vendor, you can make up to 3 custom tunes with different octane ratings, and different settings based on what you want out of the tune - mpgs, track, street etc.

Price ~ $400 with some gains in hp/tq, major benefits to your transmission by firming up and changing the shift patterns, and the ability to make other adjustments like removing rev limiters, adjusting for tire/gear changes etc.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Good advice as well. Definitely pick something that you are comfortable doing to your car. IMO, nitrous has a bad name because idiots put too much on their engines and have bad results. I once heard of a guy that used a hose from the bottle straight into his Carb in a mustang, and tried to control the flow with the bottle valve. I don't need to explain what happened there! (And no it was not me LOL)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Yes nitrous is the best bang for the buck mod, but every time you use it you risk the chance of engine damage/failure especially when the engine condition is unknown.

If you are mechnically inclined and comfortable in tearing apart the upper/lower intake, I'd suggest doing a split port swap from a 99+ 3.8. This will get you up to those specs ~190-193hp at the crank compared to your 150.

But if you're more comfortable with something that's "plug and play" I'd suggest a tuner.
Since you already have a CAI and some exhaust, I'd suggest a handheld tuner with custom tunes. The tune will take full advantage of the bolt ons and wake that auto transmission the hell up. That's probably the biggest benefit from the tunes regarding auto cars. Depending on the vendor, you can make up to 3 custom tunes with different octane ratings, and different settings based on what you want out of the tune - mpgs, track, street etc.

Price ~ $400 with some gains in hp/tq, major benefits to your transmission by firming up and changing the shift patterns, and the ability to make other adjustments like removing rev limiters, adjusting for tire/gear changes etc.
Do this ^^^ and if you can also change the pistons. Not to many people know that the 94-95 v6 only had a 8.2 compression ratio and 96-up had 8.7-8.9 ratio. Its not because of the head difference either, the pistons are different but inerchange. I did alot of research when I was going to put a eaton m90 on my stang and not to many people know that the supercharged motor in the thunderbird also had a 8.2 ratio.

If you go with nitrous see if you have enough money to put a lower gear in like a 3.27 or 3.45 that way you have better take off but you'll have top speed still.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to LSUstang

4.10 gears w/t-lok. It provides more "seat of your pants" feel. Doesn't sound like nitrous is the best thing if you have to pray everytime you hit the button.

-2004 Mach 1 "Natasha"- JL Audio W6 w/ custom box, 8000K HIDs, Sequential signals, StangHi tune, Borla Stingers with catted X, deck lid & lower valence, C&L intake package, H&R Super Sports
-2001 White Vert V6- Sold
LSUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #13
Road Trip!

As long as your motor isn't knocking or pinging it will hold a 50 shot easy. A lawn mower motor can handle a 50 shot. If you don't believe me then watch you tube they've got tons of them and most of them have to spray pure nitrous in them to blow them up.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
Road Trip!

With any kind of power adders on the stock drivetrain with 180k, its still going to shorten the life of it, whether that be nitrous, Turbo, or supercharger.
In turn if the engine was rebuilt, no crossing of fingers necessary.
I also agree with the gears.
The OP asked how to go fast for cheap, nitrous is how I did when I was young and broke. I never suffered any ill effects because I did my research on the use of nitrous.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #15

thanks for allthe insight guys. imk thinking of doing the 99 intake swap mentioned. that sounds like fun and if it will give me some more power then hell im down. plus i think it looks cool.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95white View Post
thanks for allthe insight guys. imk thinking of doing the 99 intake swap mentioned. that sounds like fun and if it will give me some more power then hell im down. plus i think it looks cool.
Try finding a ford windstar intake/plenum their the best and look way better IMO and also improve performance even more. Here's a link to look at.
VAP Auto - Products
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Plus 1 for nitrous. Zex makes a great wet kit. Easy to install and just use the small jets. It's very adictive tho
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #18

Region: Ohio

The split port swap is a great idea especially with windstar intake. And since the valve covers are off get some 1.7 rocker arms which are good for another 10 horse. You can get them at [URL="http://www.moranav6racing.com"]
Silverstealth98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
Plus 1 for nitrous. Zex makes a great wet kit. Easy to install and just use the small jets. It's very adictive tho
+1 for the addicting part and +1 for the wet kit.
In case you don't know the difference between dry and wet....
Dry sprays only nitrous
Wet introduces a fuel and nitrous mix
Wet is safer for beginners, in my opinion.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

good call sonic, i was also thinking he should go with a tuner.
pringle9666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pringle9666
good call sonic, i was also thinking he should go with a tuner.
A tuner/gear combo is the best first mod. Looking back had I known that my car would perform like it does now I would have done it first. I went with 3.90s just cause 2800 rpm at 75 mph is lil high for me. Although 2600 ain't much of a difference. When my nitrous hits tho WOW.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #22

wow you guys are all so helpful. my last two cars, everyone on the forums was stuck up and didnt know anything at all. i guess i jumped into the right community getting a stang

i really want to do the intake swap. i love the way it looks! i would probably end up doing gears and a good torque converter after. do they still make the valve bodys or what ever for the 95' auto tranny? i cant find one anywhere.
i basically want to be able to beat my buddys taurus SHO 3.0L at the track. that things fast and its stock
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #23

also, is there a speed limiter on the 95 auto ?
Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #24

ok i was doing 75mph today and i was only at 1800 RPM. does that tell anyone what gears are in my stang?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Not an expert on the v6 but sounds like 2.73's
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #26

i thought they came with 4.10s my car must have a top speed of like 180 then with them 2.73s huh? just kidding hah
Old 01-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
i thought they came with 4.10s my car must have a top speed of like 180 then with them 2.73s huh? just kidding hah
Top speed I know for a fact is 194. (A ricer told me)
Old 01-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #28

haha i love ricers. they make me laugh so hard. even when i had a jap car it could back up the "fart can" that was on it. 14.5 at the track on a ****ty clutch.

but seriously, you think its 2.73? is that bad or good for my situation?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
I have done a lot of thinking alot about power adders to my 99 gt. But to throw this out there would a water meth kit work on a v6 stang. It would give the added punch and doesn't gave the after effects of nos. I think you could get more out of it.

I am wondering from the forum. I am curious I have done reading on water meth and also nos. What is your opinion. Now I like the gears idea that is best to start with there get them off the line and hold the lead.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
haha i love ricers. they make me laugh so hard. even when i had a jap car it could back up the "fart can" that was on it. 14.5 at the track on a ****ty clutch.

but seriously, you think its 2.73? is that bad or good for my situation?
Ill tell you this, my 84 had 3.08 gears when I got it. Just doggy as all hell I thought. I put an 8.8 in with 3.73's and it woke the car up a LOT!! Gears are a great mod!!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack
I have done a lot of thinking alot about power adders to my 99 gt. But to throw this out there would a water meth kit work on a v6 stang. It would give the added punch and doesn't gave the after effects of nos. I think you could get more out of it.

I am wondering from the forum. I am curious I have done reading on water meth and also nos. What is your opinion. Now I like the gears idea that is best to start with there get them off the line and hold the lead.
I don't have any experience with the water/Meth. As far as I know its for forced induction applications and it basically cools down the intake charge. Maybe someone with some experience with it will chime in.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

Ill tell you this, my 84 had 3.08 gears when I got it. Just doggy as all hell I thought. I put an 8.8 in with 3.73's and it woke the car up a LOT!! Gears are a great mod!!
I am putting 3.73 gears in my 99 gt and that is really going wake her little tail up. She will be so free and with the lowering springs new shocks and suspension work new wheels and tires she will be a screaming demon when completed for show time.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #33

none of that answeres my question at 75 mph 1800 rpm on my 95 v6 auto, what gears does it have and is that a good thing?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #34
Road Trip!

If it has 2.73 or 3.08 gears, its not "bad" but if you want to wake the car up and get a little more pep, go with some 3.73's or 4.10's if its an auto. If you like fuel mileage, stay with what you have.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
none of that answeres my question at 75 mph 1800 rpm on my 95 v6 auto, what gears does it have and is that a good thing?
At 80 mph I am running at 2000 rpms. You will probably have something lower than 3.27 in yours. You are good but to wake up that stang 3.73 gears would do the trick.

The Mustang Mafia
www.themustangmafia.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang