Performance chip - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:30 PM   #1

Performance chip

Id like to add my .o2 to the topic of performance chips. Many of you will disagree, and im not trying to start an argument, but I think performance chips are an okay mod. I have a JET chip and I would NOT in any circumstances buy a cheap ebay chip. If you were to buy a chip please buy from a respectable manufacturer: JET, SCT, Diablo, ect. Even if the chip does little to no performance gains, the chip eliminates the top speed limiter, and it sets the rev limit to 4k while taking off in first. This is a nice assurance when racing. I have not done it, but if one could get stickier tires and other supporters to help with the launch, the ability to launch effectively of of that 4k limit would be very helpful. Lets say you find your best spot to launch is 2500 rpm, I am sure that you could have your chip reflashed to set the rev limit to that number. Again, that would be very helpful. Install is very easy for a performance chip. Thay install in the passenger kick panel, or under the hood. as long as you do not throw any codes and the chip does not affect the way your car acts, I would be ok with the chip: that is assuming that you did not buy a ebay chip ( do NOT do that). I am not saying that a chip is better than a programmer in any way, I am saying that I have not had any problems with the chip that I have. A chip is an over-the-counter tune, a tuner is a tune specifically set to your car and your modifications. A tuner must be reflashed to recieve the maximum results after each performance mod. A tuner can be plugged in to adjust to new mods as well (you or a respectable shop can handle a tuner). I have plans on purchasing a tuner later, but for now I am content with the chip that I recieved as a present. So, if you have plans on purchasing a tuner, that is a good mod. But if you have those plans and do not have a significent number of mods, a chip might do all that you need. Either way, please do your research and be informed on your decision, and make sure you are going to be happy with your purchase.
lo.1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Performance chip

Uhm...what??

Most of what you said is right.

1. Do not buy a ebay/cheap module.

2. A chip or tuner can change limiters and make a vehicle perform and run better.

3. A tuner is much easier to change the tune in the future with.

Now onto a few things to clear them up.

1. A chip and a tuner do the same thing.

2. Both a chip and a tuner can be tuned by a respectable shop specifically for your car. You can also have both a chip and a tuner flashed at a shop and sent to you for your vehicle by giving information about your car.

3. I had a preset chip before buying my tuner. The major downside was I had to always run 93 octane. I sold the chip and bought a SCT XCAL2 with 3 tunes on it from VMP. I can now run 87 octane for everyday driving, and up the octane for the track or whatever and change to a different tune. There is not much difference between the two, but enough to tell a slight advantage.

Personally, I love having a tune on my car. As far as being worth the money, that depends on the person. If I had to do it again...I would probably spend the money elsewhere until having a definite need for a tuner.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #3

I agree with you. My chip was preset as well, but it is not specifically for my mods. I do not have to run 93 octane. I agree with you as well, but we obviously have different chips.
lo.1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

It all depends on the tune.

I just know to get optimum results from an engine, you are going to have to advance the timing, therefore forcing you to run a higher octane to avoid pinging.

My car definitely will not run right with 87 octane on the 93 tune, just pings all the way down the road.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

You dont buy a mail order drop in tune... its just not a good way to spend your money. Go to a dyno and get a REAL chip custom made for your car... why blow the money when you can get a better investment. Also some mail order can tune chips have been shown as dangerous when someone has their car dynoed... just not a good way to go IMO.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My 97 has the Jet chip. I need to run 91 or better. But I can tell the differance. I got lucky and some lady that mostly sells clothing items on Ebay had one exactly for my car, in the box, with papework and sticker for $18.00, buy it now. I jumped at it. If it was junk (which it wasn't) I was only out $25 with shipping. Heck I blow that on crap all the time!
95&modified is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang