split port swap question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
split port swap question

ok i just bought the stuff needed for a split port swap in my car.. well i think its everything n i was just wonderin if u could double check for me n see if there is anything else i need..

Heads
Upper intake
Lower intake
Upper and lower radiator hoses.
Coils and plug wires
Heater hoses
Coolant bypass tube
Thermostat housing (attached to the lower intake)
Upper engine gasket kit.
EGR valve and tube
TPS sensor and throttle body
throttle cable and bracket
intake tube
IAC
Fuel Rail - ** Not modified**

i dont remember if i read right but a while back i thought i seen somethin about i need to get bigger fuel injectors too.. eh im just wonderin..
1994 mustang v6 vert.. Split port swap, 24# fuel injectors, SCT custom tuner, flowmaster 40's true duel, CAI w/ K&N, 1/2in. intake spacer, ASP Pullies, P&P intakes, viper remote starter & alarm,17x9 black bullitt rims(my babies)
Future Mods:4.2 stroked, auto to stick tranny swap, 3:73 gears W/ T-Loc, Cam, 1.73 Roller Rockers, P&P heads, Full Suspension(dunno what brand yet), 03Cobra Bumper w/ Fogs, custom candy paint
immenukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: split port swap question

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...GarageSale.pdf

$800 from Super Six Motorsports. Includes the modified fuel rail. You can run the EV1 fuel injectors from your engine now, but I believe that they will be close to maxed out.

Most people go ahead and swap to the EV6 fuel injectors while they are doing this.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I don't think the egr will bolt up directly. The headers on your gen are a little different than the split ports.

You may have to delete it. And I would definiltey goto 19lb injectors.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiljosh View Post
I don't think the egr will bolt up directly. The headers on your gen are a little different than the split ports.

You may have to delete it. And I would definiltey goto 19lb injectors.
I think you have to bend the pipe a little more.

I "believe" they went from a header ('94-'98) to a manifold ('99-'04).
Old 07-14-2007, 10:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews.stang View Post
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...GarageSale.pdf

$800 from Super Six Motorsports. Includes the modified fuel rail. You can run the EV1 fuel injectors from your engine now, but I believe that they will be close to maxed out.

Most people go ahead and swap to the EV6 fuel injectors while they are doing this.
nooo dude the stuff that i have listed is everything that i already have.. lol it was pulled off of a 2000 v6.. im tryin to get them ported and polished before i put em on but money is tight and i cant find anywhere to take them to get that done.. sooo yea.. lol where is a good place to get the fuel injectors?
1994 mustang v6 vert.. Split port swap, 24# fuel injectors, SCT custom tuner, flowmaster 40's true duel, CAI w/ K&N, 1/2in. intake spacer, ASP Pullies, P&P intakes, viper remote starter & alarm,17x9 black bullitt rims(my babies)
Future Mods:4.2 stroked, auto to stick tranny swap, 3:73 gears W/ T-Loc, Cam, 1.73 Roller Rockers, P&P heads, Full Suspension(dunno what brand yet), 03Cobra Bumper w/ Fogs, custom candy paint
Old 07-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via AIM to Kiljosh

I found a nice set of used 19lbers on ebay.

Although, that is hit or miss when it comes to injectors. I dont buy used pats anymore...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

you can find used ones for cheap im sure, i dont see a maf on your list, you have to have the new one thats set for 19lb injectors
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

your single port harness may have to be lengthen to reach the coil packs and EGR .The coil packs are the same 94-2000 If you have 01-04 parts, you can fab up a bracket to mount to the intake Your gonna need the modified fuel rail

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00400.jpg
Views:	3987
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	17621

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
you can find used ones for cheap im sure, i dont see a maf on your list, you have to have the new one thats set for 19lb injectors
oh sorry i must have left the maf out but i did get that too.. sooo since i got that, thats means i am gonna have to have 19lb? or what sorry fo the dumb questions im just a little confused.. but here is the link that shows everything i got

eBay Motors: 94-98 Mustang 3.8 V6 Split Port Swap Complete take off (item 290135496178 end time Jul-09-07 20:51:21 PDT)

but yea where could i get some 19 lbers? and would autozone be a good place? and also whats a good brand of injectors to buy?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You can use the injectors you have now, but they will be maxed out.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can use the injectors you have now, but they will be maxed out.
ok cool.. see im gonna change em i wanted to just wait like a pay check or 2 so i can build my money back up for more mods.. lol but yea the injectors i have atm should be good for a lil bit right? n what do u mean by maxed out?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

To put it simple, the injectors you have are good for 150hp +/-. You will be making 190hp. So there is a chance that a cylinder may not get enough fuel all the time.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the injectors will be very cheap to pick up used
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To put it simple, the injectors you have are good for 150hp +/-. You will be making 190hp. So there is a chance that a cylinder may not get enough fuel all the time.
but arent the 99 up runnin the same size injectors? thats what i always had thought and do u think that it would just be better to get like 24.. just cuz im doin more mods not sure what yet but i am haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
the injectors will be very cheap to pick up used
and where would be the best place to get some of these injectors? off ebay or what?
Old 07-17-2007, 10:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog

No i believe 94-98 are 14# and 99-04 are 19# and u can use the stock MAF but you are going to have to get a tune for the larger injectors esp if you are doing more than just the split port swap

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(http://www.tmaturbo.com/)
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(http://www.dtpracing.com/)
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydog View Post
No i believe 94-98 are 14# and 99-04 are 19# and u can use the stock MAF but you are going to have to get a tune for the larger injectors esp if you are doing more than just the split port swap
what exactly do u think about these..

Mustang 3.8L V6 Performance Parts FREE SHIPPING!

are they a good price or what? i mean would they be a good option for my car? oh and whats the difference between ev1 n ev6?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by immenukka View Post
what exactly do u think about these..

Mustang 3.8L V6 Performance Parts FREE SHIPPING!

are they a good price or what? i mean would they be a good option for my car? oh and whats the difference between ev1 n ev6?
First off, don't order from them. There have been several horror stories from RPM Outlet on other message boards.

EV1 is what you have now. They are the 'old' style. EV6 is the 'pencil-tip' style. For the EV6, you will have to rewire the pigtail adapters.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
First off, don't order from them. There have been several horror stories from RPM Outlet on other message boards.
What he said !!

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
Old 07-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

EV1 is what you have now. They are the 'old' style. EV6 is the 'pencil-tip' style. For the EV6, you will have to rewire the pigtail adapters.
mmk i see.. haha thanks for the advice on rpm.. so wait.. i got the fuel rail for a 2000.. which one r for that fuel rail?
Old 07-18-2007, 08:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

That is a returnless fuel rail you have a return style fuel system so it will not work without modification and both injectors will work with that fuel rail it is the fuel injector plugs that will not work with the pencil style injectors ie. 99-04

Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is a returnless fuel rail you have a return style fuel system so it will not work without modification and both injectors will work with that fuel rail it is the fuel injector plugs that will not work with the pencil style injectors ie. 99-04
grrr and how exactly would i modify the rail to be able to hook up with these injectors?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

check with Jason at VMP He was selling the modify fuel rail like the one in the pic i posted or Modified your fuel rail with a universal fuel pressure regulator, and a return line

The way the fuel rail is done is the regulator and return line section are cut off of the single port rail, and then married into the front of the split port rail.
The 99 Mustang has a returnless fuel system. That means that the EEC controls the flow rate of the
fuel pump directly and all the fuel that is sent to the engine is used. In 94-98 cars, fuel is sent via the
fuel pump at a predetermined flow rate to the fuel rails and the fuel pressure regulator (using manifold
vaccuum to determine fuel needs) returns all the fuel that is not necessary back to the fuel tank.
Also the injectors are not equally spaced out on the 94-98 cars but they are in the 99's. So you cannot
use your 94-98 fuel rails as is. And you can't use the 99 fuel rails as is because there is no FPR (fuel
pressure regulator) nor return rail.
The easiest method to get around this problem is to modify the 99
fuel rails. You will probably want till cut into the rear of the 99 fuel rail setup and cut at the same
place on your set of 94-98 fuel rails and keep the return rail (that runs on the passenger side intact).
Then toss the back end of the 99 rails in favor of the back end of the 94-98 rails (with return rail)
since this include the FPR. You will need to weld the two different rails together at both cuts. The new
return rail should be able to work with its entire length (from FPR to the rubber return hose) intact.
You will need to either tig or spot weld the 94-98 return rail (loose except at connection with FPR)
to the '99 passenger side rail (which is fixed in position due to the passenger side injectors).
Now you have working fuel rails. The '99 rails will accept their new 19 # injectors and plug into the
'99 heads.

Quote:
Old 07-18-2007, 09:24 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

ok soo... will someone help me out n help me try n find some good priced injectors new or used.. idc im just really confused haha.. i looked off ebay and like they all come in a set of 8 so does that mean they are only for v8s? but yea.. can someone please help a 18yr old out haha
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ok ok ok but there is still something that im extremely comfused about.. there is like sets of 8 fuel injectors.. and i cant find any sets of 6 for my car.. n basically what im askin is will all injectors fit on my fuel rail? like v8 and v6.. because im confused about what will go on the fuel rail.. do all injectors fit on both v8 and v6 is what im askin
Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I believe that they are all the same.

I've heard of split ports that have boost are running '03 Cobra injectors.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

94-98 injectors are shorter and use a different plug, 99-04 injectors are longer and will fit your fuel rail but you will have to drill out were it bolts to the intake because the injectors are longer, so yes all injectors will fit your fuel rail but 99and up are longer and have different plugs hope that clears it up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang