Mustang Vs WRX? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Re: Mustang Vs WRX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter View Post
Good point, man I have one of those hippie biased sisters and today during dinner she said "don't buy an american car" why? "they all suck" good point there chief.
No point in sayin anything to a one minded fool.
She said all American cars suck, wow, that's what I think of all the German cars I've owned except for Porsche. BTW my 2007 GT is one of my best cars ever and remember I owned a Porsche as well as driven many other Porsches. Ford has the right approach with the Mustang in many ways, and oh yeah with balding Pirelli P zero nero rears, I still am able to drive in the snow because of the Mustangs balance with sways with little issue.
MUSPOR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

No, skittles
I might have to refer to dbag import drivers as skittles from now on.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla View Post
I might have to refer to dbag import drivers as skittles from now on.
I like this, lol.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Correction. Corvette missed one year. 84 I think.
Really?!
I think I heard about tht once but then couldn't find proof of it
my sis loves vettes n always says tht they r better than stangs
: p

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #40
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Both serve a purpose. Two different types of performance. I like wrx's for the fact they are a good all weather performance car. Where as the mustang is limited to weather conditions.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
Both serve a purpose. Two different types of performance. I like wrx's for the fact they are a good all weather performance car. Where as the mustang is limited to weather conditions.
2007gt with Firestone winterforce on all corners, no issues in snow, you might wanna rethink that buddy.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
2007gt with Firestone winterforce on all corners, no issues in snow, you might wanna rethink that buddy.
Yea why does everyone say they keep their car in the garage for winter?? I live in canada but where I live it's really cold but we dont often get snow, is that gonna be drivable all year long?
\_\
MadGatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter

Yea why does everyone say they keep their car in the garage for winter?? I live in canada but where I live it's really cold but we dont often get snow, is that gonna be drivable all year long?
Not the drivability but for protecting the car from salt on the roads.... Luckily here in Texas I get to drive my baby all year long
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Yeah if i get salt on my car I will probably cry.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
Yeah if i get salt on my car I will probably cry.
I used to have a '83 camero and the end of it was the salted roads... Yea I know, I was one of "those guys" until I got my blacked out stang.
Nog51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by i973eat1 View Post
Are you forgetting that the corvette has been around since 1953?
That would be the longest standing name plate on a car that I know of.. but they are overrated and expensive as hell to mod unlike the stangs, ppl say that they are a dime a dozen! but everyone makes their car their own, I have never been to a car show, and seen 2 mustangs done the exact same way...
Yes I did and thank you, I did forget about the Corvette. It is the longest nameplate that GM has. Now would you classify the mustang in its class or would you claim it else where. I would think that the corvette would be classed in a supercar category.

Even though the mustang is a great car. Great names follow the same history Roush, Shelby, and Saleen, These names are etched as part of the mustangs legecy.

You can see another stanger on the road or at the store and they are always nice to aleast acknowledge your ride. We are a future of this legend that keeps growing as the years go by.

Whatever the vehicle you choose remember that respect is given to all but earned by selected few.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911 View Post
You say no issues now, but what happens when you hit a patch of ice with a little to much skinny pedal? Doesn't matter what tire you have on it. With most mustangs pushing around 300tq your going to spin and end up in a ditch or worse. Mustangs we're not designed for snow/ice. Sure you can "get by" but would I take that risk? No I wouldn't.

Also when I was talking about the difference in performance types of the two cars. Would you go balls to the walls with your mustang in snow or ice? I highly doubt it because you'd have to be the biggest ****** to do that. With a wrx you can do that. Given there is always a possibility of doing something stupid, but you have more control in an AWD car DESIGNED for that kind of performance.

Your trying to say that an Apple is the same as an orange. When if fact...they are completely different.

Given if I had choose between the two I'd pick a mustang hands down, but that's because I live in a climate that is pretty much mustang friendly year around. If I lived somewhere that had snow 4-6 months out of the year and I wanted a performance vehicle I would definitely end up in a WRX or EVO.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #48
Road Trip!

I live in Saskatchewan where we get a couple months of -40 weather and alot of snow. My mustang is not snow friendly. I have a 99 z71 for that. 4 inches of lift and no worries. I am counting the minutes til April comes and the snow has gone.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog51

I used to have a '83 camero and the end of it was the salted roads... Yea I know, I was one of "those guys" until I got my blacked out stang.
Whats wrong with salt?
\_\
Old 01-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #50
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Whats wrong with salt?
Causes vehicles to rust. Thats why most norther vehicles are rust buckets. You dont see near as many down in the south.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-22-2011, 08:51 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge

Causes vehicles to rust. Thats why most norther vehicles are rust buckets. You dont see near as many down in the south.
Can you get rust protection? Like I always see those armor all commercials isn't that what it does? Just for snowy days
\_\
Old 01-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #52
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Can you get rust protection? Like I always see those armor all commercials isn't that what it does? Just for snowy days
You can some places have stuff they can spray on to help protect it.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

Quote:
thank u for explaining that lol
06mustangmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You say no issues now, but what happens when you hit a patch of ice with a little to much skinny pedal? Doesn't matter what tire you have on it. With most mustangs pushing around 300tq your going to spin and end up in a ditch or worse. Mustangs we're not designed for snow/ice. Sure you can "get by" but would I take that risk? No I wouldn't.

Also when I was talking about the difference in performance types of the two cars. Would you go balls to the walls with your mustang in snow or ice? I highly doubt it because you'd have to be the biggest ****** to do that. With a wrx you can do that. Given there is always a possibility of doing something stupid, but you have more control in an AWD car DESIGNED for that kind of performance.

Your trying to say that an Apple is the same as an orange. When if fact...they are completely different.

Given if I had choose between the two I'd pick a mustang hands down, but that's because I live in a climate that is pretty much mustang friendly year around. If I lived somewhere that had snow 4-6 months out of the year and I wanted a performance vehicle I would definitely end up in a WRX or EVO.
Actually any car all wheel drive or not will have issues on black ice buddy and yes I do drive my car in that type of condition, I have no choice even tonight on my way out and about there is black Ice and dusted snow on the roads and my 2007 gt with approx 360 crank hp handles great because of its balance.And oh my old 92 subury legacy which was nose heavy had issues with understeer around corners regardless of AWD, and even STIs have under issues that is why I turned it down after a few test drives. Guess you really have to get into the world of auto racing buddy, unlike a lot of guys on forums I actually own an Arai helmet, Hans device, Piloti racing shoes and go to the track not drag strips and am very familiar with rear wheel drive. Go to youtube and watch a few videos of real drivers driving 911 GT3 and beating guys with Evos in snow with studded tires. Bottom line a well balanced rear wheel drive car with good tires can defeat an all wheel drive car with too much weight in the nose, it's been proven too many times. And Audis are worst, my 2000 v8 A6 was a pig in snow and threatened to nose me into a wall around every corner.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

Quote:

Sonic,

I must say that Every vehicle I have owned has been rear wheel drive and I would say that I have had no problems with my GT in the snow or ice. This could be experience too. I have been driving rear wheel drive cars and trucks since I was 17. I drove tractor trailers through blizzard conditions.

In my GT I feel I have more control where the car goes then I do in my parents stratus does. But you are right for new drivers it could be difficult for them.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
Sonic,

I must say that Every vehicle I have owned has been rear wheel drive and I would say that I have had no problems with my GT in the snow or ice. This could be experience too. I have been driving rear wheel drive cars and trucks since I was 17. I drove tractor trailers through blizzard conditions.

In my GT I feel I have more control where the car goes then I do in my parents stratus does. But you are right for new drivers it could be difficult for them.
1ijack, thank you. To sonic04edge, I am not saying that Mustangs are easier to drive in the snow than wrxs in snow but in some cases the Mustang like my 2007 gt is better when it comes to balance and my experience. I drive a UPS truck all day and that thing has a live rear axle as well and when you get accustomed to driving vehicles like these, you adapt and learn how to make them work. I actually was more on edge when I had my 92 Subury Legacy where as my 2007gt I am always at ease in snow. I also can't understand how the hell I have so much friggin grip and my Pirelli P zero Neros in the rear are original tires now at 38540 miles and has little thread. Twilight zone type sh---- if you ask me, but like I said its all in the balance. I also had a 86 BMW 325e modified with racing suspension and ground control Koni shocks, struts and eibach springs with an ultra high spring rate. Took that car from Massachusetts to New Jersey in a snow storm 8" in NJ and I had no issues then, sorry I can't say the same for those SUV and other vehicles that were banged up into each other on the highway. That car also had Firestone Winterforce.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #57
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Actually any car all wheel drive or not will have issues on black ice buddy and yes I do drive my car in that type of condition, I have no choice even tonight on my way out and about there is black Ice and dusted snow on the roads and my 2007 gt with approx 360 crank hp handles great because of its balance.And oh my old 92 subury legacy which was nose heavy had issues with understeer around corners regardless of AWD, and even STIs have under issues that is why I turned it down after a few test drives. Guess you really have to get into the world of auto racing buddy, unlike a lot of guys on forums I actually own an Arai helmet, Hans device, Piloti racing shoes and go to the track not drag strips and am very familiar with rear wheel drive. Go to youtube and watch a few videos of real drivers driving 911 GT3 and beating guys with Evos in snow with studded tires. Bottom line a well balanced rear wheel drive car with good tires can defeat an all wheel drive car with too much weight in the nose, it's been proven too many times. And Audis are worst, my 2000 v8 A6 was a pig in snow and threatened to nose me into a wall around every corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ijack View Post
Sonic,

Quote:
1ijack, thank you. To sonic04edge, I am not saying that Mustangs are easier to drive in the snow than wrxs in snow but in some cases the Mustang like my 2007 gt is better when it comes to balance and my experience. I drive a UPS truck all day and that thing has a live rear axle as well and when you get accustomed to driving vehicles like these, you adapt and learn how to make them work. I actually was more on edge when I had my 92 Subury Legacy where as my 2007gt I am always at ease in snow. I also can't understand how the hell I have so much friggin grip and my Pirelli P zero Neros in the rear are original tires now at 38540 miles and has little thread. Twilight zone type sh---- if you ask me, but like I said its all in the balance. I also had a 86 BMW 325e modified with racing suspension and ground control Koni shocks, struts and eibach springs with an ultra high spring rate. Took that car from Massachusetts to New Jersey in a snow storm 8" in NJ and I had no issues then, sorry I can't say the same for those SUV and other vehicles that were banged up into each other on the highway. That car also had Firestone Winterforce.
Guys gotta realize I'm not saying wrx/evo's are gods gifts too snow/ice. I stated that awd's can have issues just like a RWD, but it is less likely. I know rwd's properly setup can do well in snow/ice, but if rwd could do everything why did we bother to invent awd/4wd? Also the fact that you say your well experienced in racing doesn't mean your not capable of srewing up when driving. There is no point in trying to say you have all this skill over the internet. You have no way to prove it. I'm not trying to say your lying, but think about how many people "say" they can do this and that. I'm just trying to say that especially the WRX which was designed and tested for THAT kind of driving is purposely built for that while a mustang is not. Me personally I'd never put my mustang through that kind of crap. That's what the 4x4 is for. It's not worth taking a risk of screwing up a nice car. You might be able to drive a mustang in snow, but its proven time after time that RWD performance cars are one of the worst choices for driving in the snow/ice.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
Old 01-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

I can see what both of you are saying, it is BOTH the driver, and the car! When i was 16/17, a big ice & snowstorm hit St.Louis, I had to drive my 94 V6, and it was awesome in everything! I had brand new winter tires on it, and it doesnt have near the amount of hp/tq that you guys are pushing. But it is almost 50% the car, and 50% the driver... And if I had to, I would drive my GT, but that would be EXTREMELY carefully though.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #59
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge

Guys gotta realize I'm not saying wrx/evo's are gods gifts too snow/ice. I stated that awd's can have issues just like a RWD, but it is less likely. I know rwd's properly setup can do well in snow/ice, but if rwd could do everything why did we bother to invent awd/4wd? Also the fact that you say your well experienced in racing doesn't mean your not capable of srewing up when driving. There is no point in trying to say you have all this skill over the internet. You have no way to prove it. I'm not trying to say your lying, but think about how many people "say" they can do this and that. I'm just trying to say that especially the WRX which was designed and tested for THAT kind of driving is purposely built for that while a mustang is not. Me personally I'd never put my mustang through that kind of crap. That's what the 4x4 is for. It's not worth taking a risk of screwing up a nice car. You might be able to drive a mustang in snow, but its proven time after time that RWD performance cars are one of the worst choices for driving in the snow/ice.
I'm with you on this one sonic, black ice is impossible to create friction on, if one tire slides on it then all will, it's just all wheel do better in snow, when it comes down to ice, it doesn't matter what you drive, you will be f***ed up... I use to live in the grand Tetons, I have lots of experience with iced bridges and canyons and I drove an all wheel drive Mercedes to work back then, it was a night mare
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Ice bridges are freaking scary is hell, I get this butterfly in my stomach feeling every time there is ice on the bridge especially when it is leaning to one side. Oh and sonic04edge Evos are the sh---t on wet roads and snow, they kill sti. Have you ever driven one. Every evo owner loves them. It is hard to find a used decent Evo where I live but there are lots and lots of Sti. No hard feelings bud (sonic04edge). Just here to have fun like you are, enjoy your car.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #61
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSPOR911
Ice bridges are freaking scary is hell, I get this butterfly in my stomach feeling every time there is ice on the bridge especially when it is leaning to one side. Oh and sonic04edge Evos are the sh---t on wet roads and snow, they kill sti. Have you ever driven one. Every evo owner loves them. It is hard to find a used decent Evo where I live but there are lots and lots of Sti. No hard feelings bud (sonic04edge). Just here to have fun like you are, enjoy your car.
Ya no joke about the bridges! There use to be this skinny a** one on my way to work and it gets worse when you have a car you love, a skinny bridge, ice and looking at the front of an 18wheeler trying to cross at the same time as you! That's when it kicks the living hell out of you...
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

i think the wrx would be harder to work on bc its an inherently more complex car due to the AWD and alot of electronics. that being said it will probably be more expensive to mod

and im glad i live in the south lol the only reason i dont take my car out is if its raining and i just washed it (like today)

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
i think the wrx would be harder to work on bc its an inherently more complex car due to the AWD and alot of electronics. that being said it will probably be more expensive to mod

and im glad i live in the south lol the only reason i dont take my car out is if its raining and i just washed it (like today)
That being said do you think all imports cost more even the common ones? Like Toyota or civics
\_\
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Correction. Corvette missed one year. 84 I think.
Nope. They made 47 in 1983 but never sold one..
Old 01-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Cool. I was close.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida

Quote:
Lol harsh cause I really like their looks. I'm Asian tho so your lippin my race! Jk :p i find it funny how each forum has their own type of car that they all agree to hate, like the camaro here. Like on the wrx forum they think stangs aren't as modifiable as turbocharged subarus, which might be right but I think any car with the right owner can roll on any competition
i'm not knockin asiains. i have a lot of asian friends. lol quite a few just happen to have wrx's down here in FL..

00' Mustang : totaled
06' Mustang : DD
83' AMC Spirit GT: Weekend Warrior
BIG_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

nah i dont think the camrys and civics cost as much, but then you have the downside of front wheel drive and the whole ricer scene lol

2008 V6
204 RWHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
If you wreck and kill yourself trying to jerk off on the way to her house I will put it all over the internet.
tigercrazy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:01 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGatter

No clue. Bought the car second hand and it had major rust problems all under it. Huge project to fix it.
Nog51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang