supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
supercharger

ive got a eaton m90 blower for my v6 mustang that im going to put on probley next week, i just want to find out if i have everything i will need to do the installation, i know i already posted a thread about this but i want to make sure, i heard i will need a tuner is this true, i have a volo chip that taps into the obd plug un the dash, im not sure if that matters but i also heard i should jack up my fuel presher, is this true and is my fuel presher regulator adjustable? i have 30lb injectors for it to so if that will answer any questions.
what kind of horse power will i see? i think down the road im going to go with aftermarket cams and 3.73 gears for my rear end, what do you guys think of that and what cam would you suggest?
chris purcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: supercharger

if you have all the parts needed I would personally get it all installed then without ever putting ANY boost on the car take it and get it dyno tuned by a pro. That would be the safest thing to do.

You will need many more parts other than the supercharger and intake tract (pipes etc) to make this work on a mustang V6 single port motor.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

This first link is for a cam for the supercharged v6http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/p...RockerArms.pdf

This other link is for the website itself, look around it has some neat stuff.
Super Six Motorsports - V6 products that make your life faster

I would think you got the intake and fuel rail from the setup that has the fuel pressure regulator on it. If you don't you will need this. You will need the mass air flow from a t-bird supercoupe and yes you do need a tune, you can get a tune from bama "American muscle" but you really need a dyno tune for it to be right. It is really advisable to get a wide band fuel ratio gauge, that way you don't run your engine lean.
Oh without the tune your stang will run really really rich, so much that you will need to hold the gas pedal down to even start it.

Ok here is a link for the tuner and if you don't have a sct tuner already then you need to click on "add X3 Flasher" It will cost $425 with the custom tune.
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: 94-98 3.8L Mustang with M90 Supercoupe Supercharger
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

usualy i would agree with anything straub says cause he's a smart guy. but ima have to disagree a lil bit here. like spectorv said, first put the shyte on your car. install the 30lbs injectors, your stock mass air should pull the fuel back enough. the supercoupe pcm wouldve been nice to have. but i dont think you are hurtn anything running a stock pcm, maybe missn a horse here and there. set your distributor to 10 degress advance...if it doesnt ping after letting it get to temperature, advance it to 12 degress advance...no more though till you get it figured out.

itsa low boost application, so you should be fine with most of the parts you already have.

the closer it's set-up to a factory super coupe the better off you will be. at least till you start to learn your way around the world of boost.

stay away from chips till you get your shyte installed, and find out if it's supercharger specific. chips and n/a designed tunes make their power by triming the fuel table (at certain points) and advancing the timing. both of these are bad on a boost motor.

an adjustable regulator would be helpful, but if u set it up as close to the supercoupe u should be fine. p.m. me and i can give u my number and answer specific questions for you.

i gaurantee you that you can make that car run without a tune. my car is 100% stock pcm...and i make damn good power for the amount of cash that's in it.

a decent mass air meter would help u make better power, but it should run decent on the one in your car. i run a 4.6 mass air on my 5.0..i know a lil bit bout mass air systems

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
usualy i would agree with anything straub says cause he's a smart guy. but ima have to disagree a lil bit here. like spectorv said, first put the shyte on your car. install the 30lbs injectors, your stock mass air should pull the fuel back enough. the supercoupe pcm wouldve been nice to have. but i dont think you are hurtn anything running a stock pcm, maybe missn a horse here and there. set your distributor to 10 degress advance...if it doesnt ping after letting it get to temperature, advance it to 12 degress advance...no more though till you get it figured out.

itsa low boost application, so you should be fine with most of the parts you already have.

the closer it's set-up to a factory super coupe the better off you will be. at least till you start to learn your way around the world of boost.

stay away from chips till you get your shyte installed, and find out if it's supercharger specific. chips and n/a designed tunes make their power by triming the fuel table (at certain points) and advancing the timing. both of these are bad on a boost motor.

an adjustable regulator would be helpful, but if u set it up as close to the supercoupe u should be fine. p.m. me and i can give u my number and answer specific questions for you.

i gaurantee you that you can make that car run without a tune. my car is 100% stock pcm...and i make damn good power for the amount of cash that's in it.

a decent mass air meter would help u make better power, but it should run decent on the one in your car. i run a 4.6 mass air on my 5.0..i know a lil bit bout mass air systems
Thanks for thinking i'm smart

But you are wrong on some stuff, he doesn't have a distributor and he can't adjust his timing without a tuner he is obd2. He can run his stock mass air meter but it would be easier on the ecm if it was tuned for the 30# injectors. I have done allot of research into doing this same thing to my car but gave up because it wasn't going to satisfy me. It's not really a low boost aplication either it will produce 11-12 psi like the stock supercoupes do.

Also to the poster you can get around 290-312 hp out of the setup pretty easy and that should be what you will be running.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman View Post
Thanks for thinking i'm smart

But you are wrong on some stuff, he doesn't have a distributor and he can't adjust his timing without a tuner he is obd2. He can run his stock mass air meter but it would be easier on the ecm if it was tuned for the 30# injectors. I have done allot of research into doing this same thing to my car but gave up because it wasn't going to satisfy me. It's not really a low boost aplication either it will produce 11-12 psi like the stock supercoupes do.

Also to the poster you can get around 290-312 hp out of the setup pretty easy and that should be what you will be running.
anything under 14psi/ 1 bar/full atmoshere is considered low boost in all honesty. doesnt his car have that thingy..fuk i forget wut they r called. it goes in the distributor hole...u can turn it just like a distributor to adjust the timing. anyway, even at 11-12 psi, those heads aren't making enough compression to make a difference. 3.8 heads are wut...9.5:1 if that?

my point is this...i believe he has enough to put the car on the street and enjoy it. maybe 08-15hp he will be missn out on, but who cares? i ran 30lbs inj on my stock mass air for a long time before i bought my pro-m. it's not hard on his pcm to run it that way...he will just be missn out on a few horses. the tbird mass air isnt all that either, im here to tell u.

the kid sounds like he is on a budget, so im giving him budget advice. i did tons of research on supercharging before i bought my blower. once i got my car put together..experimented with different parts..i realized that most of those ppl didnt know wut the fuk they were talkn bout.. u can do alot with very little. ppl kept telln me that my car wouldnt run without a tune.

also, im not tryn to one up anyone here... i just wanna see this kid get his car on the street within his budget. i was an mn12 guy before i was a stanger, there's no reason he cant drive the car with wut he has. on a stock mass air, stock cam, and stock pcm...he's got the injectors already. he should be turn'n the tires over in that bytch by the end of the day.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 01-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
anything under 14psi/ 1 bar/full atmoshere is considered low boost in all honesty. doesnt his car have that thingy..fuk i forget wut they r called. it goes in the distributor hole...u can turn it just like a distributor to adjust the timing. anyway, even at 11-12 psi, those heads aren't making enough compression to make a difference. 3.8 heads are wut...9.5:1 if that?

my point is this...i believe he has enough to put the car on the street and enjoy it. maybe 08-15hp he will be missn out on, but who cares? i ran 30lbs inj on my stock mass air for a long time before i bought my pro-m. it's not hard on his pcm to run it that way...he will just be missn out on a few horses. the tbird mass air isnt all that either, im here to tell u.

the kid sounds like he is on a budget, so im giving him budget advice. i did tons of research on supercharging before i bought my blower. once i got my car put together..experimented with different parts..i realized that most of those ppl didnt know wut the fuk they were talkn bout.. u can do alot with very little. ppl kept telln me that my car wouldnt run without a tune.

also, im not tryn to one up anyone here... i just wanna see this kid get his car on the street within his budget. i was an mn12 guy before i was a stanger, there's no reason he cant drive the car with wut he has. on a stock mass air, stock cam, and stock pcm...he's got the injectors already. he should be turn'n the tires over in that bytch by the end of the day.
The thing you're refering to is the cam sensor and it does nothing on ignition timing it only controls the injector timing. I'm with you 100%, I would love to see him hook it up and drive it and show us a video of him burning the tread off the tires but its going to run like **** without a tune of some sort. Will it run? YES! But very rich at idle and lean at wide open throttle. Trust me please...
Old 01-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Op DO NOT LISTEN TO THAT SVT GUY UP THERE.if you got the money to put on a blower do it right or kiss your engine good by. If your car runs too rich your gonna have oil dilution and plug fouling problems at the least as well as the ****tiest mileage ever and if it's running lean kaboom...do what you want but a dyno tune is cheaper than a new engine
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

thank you all and what is this mass air thing, if i know what is is ill just buy it any one send me a link or something? i wanna buy the x3 tuner but i just dont have the 425 right now, i guess ill wait to put it on if its that big of a deal
Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
The thing you're refering to is the cam sensor and it does nothing on ignition timing it only controls the injector timing. I'm with you 100%, I would love to see him hook it up and drive it and show us a video of him burning the tread off the tires but its going to run like **** without a tune of some sort. Will it run? YES! But very rich at idle and lean at wide open throttle. Trust me please...
ok, so if the cam sensor does nothing for the timing (im taking your word on it). then why not just have him get a supercoupe pcm from the junk yard? he can spend sum of that money and drop in a 110-190lph pump to support those 30lbs inj.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
ok, so if the cam sensor does nothing for the timing (im taking your word on it). then why not just have him get a supercoupe pcm from the junk yard? he can spend sum of that money and drop in a 110-190lph pump to support those 30lbs inj.
If he is REALLY good at wiring then he can use the ecm from the t-bird but the v6 stang has a different plug on the ecm and the ecm on the stang is obd2 and the t-bird is obd1 so thats why I havent said anything about that. I had absolutely everything to do this to my stang but the tune for the ecm, I had a real low milage supercoupe motor that was reman from ford and when it came down to tuning it I had no money and figured up how much money I would have in it and I could buy a gt with a pro charger on it already for the same price so I gave up.

And to the original poster you do not have to change it if you buy the tuner from VMP. The mass air flow sensor is the sensor near the air filter that looks like this. If your air filter box is stock then you will need to pull it apart.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

im pretty sure i got a different one, i have a cai im not sure if it changes in size
Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris purcell View Post
im pretty sure i got a different one, i have a cai im not sure if it changes in size
Then yours should look somthing like this. The mass air sensor is the thing that has the black wires going to it.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

thats pretty much the same one i have
Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #15
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
If he is REALLY good at wiring then he can use the ecm from the t-bird but the v6 stang has a different plug on the ecm and the ecm on the stang is obd2 and the t-bird is obd1 so thats why I havent said anything about that. I had absolutely everything to do this to my stang but the tune for the ecm, I had a real low milage supercoupe motor that was reman from ford and when it came down to tuning it I had no money and figured up how much money I would have in it and I could buy a gt with a pro charger on it already for the same price so I gave up.
c...i told u u were a smart guy...i had forgot bout that. so you cant do any timing adjustments at all with the cam sensor? i cant argue that with you cause my v6 runs like crap and im junk'n the motor. it just seems weird that you can adjust injector timing but not the ignition. theoretically, it would seem like you would get instant pinging if you were to touch move it and the timing didnt change accordingly with the injector timing... y even put that part there for ppl to fuk with?

i know everyone here thinks im talkn crazy talk here.. but if your running the correct size injectors (for the application), a stock n/a pcm will do alota the work for you. i had 3 different ratio fmu's and bought that msd boost timing master. i found out from pro-charger and powerdyne that the fmu's are for ppl with incorrect (too small) size injectors. and the btm boxes are really only necessary for high boost or high compression with boost applications. the power curve is fairly linear, and with the correct size injectors, and a large enough mass air so the pcm know's wut the hell is going on, most factory pcm's can handle the changes without burning a hole in the pistons or running exxon valdeze rich at idle.

again, im not saying tunes dont work or help. but i bought alota crap i didnt really need.

somone here said he would run lean at w.o.t. and run super rich at idle. 30lbs inj worth is alot of fuel for a low compression head, and stock cam. i run 30lbs on my car with .529 lift, @11psi, i cant see him needing more fuel than me on a stock cam. ford did all the set-up work for him, so that's y i think he would be ok with a decent mass air...i think an aftermarket mass air would be better than the ford factory, it would help the pcm make more effecient adj. through out the rpm range.

also, i think you should kept your supercoupe set-up straub..that's just my opinion. however, like you said, by the time you spent the money to get it where you wanted, you couda had a v8.

i read sum of the v6 threads...and omg, for wut some of the ppl spend on their v6's they coulda built a blown v-8 from hell. but hay, if v6 is your thing, v6 is your thing.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Ok read up on this guys stang he has some videos and you will see what your stang will act like when you start it without a tune, I know he has done other mods than you're doing but basicly the same.
V6KR - Stroked/Forged/Blown 4.2L 2002
Old 01-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Ok read up on this guys stang he has some videos and you will see what your stang will act like when you start it without a tune, I know he has done other mods than you're doing but basicly the same.
V6KR - Stroked/Forged/Blown 4.2L 2002
a stroked 3.8 to 4.2... .502 lift cam ... larger valves... chevy valve springs... 10% overdrive pulley. how is that even close to chris' 100% stock set-up? for all intensive purposes that's comparing a race car to a street car. i bet you there's a 40-50hp difference in a stock 3.8 and a stroked out 4.2 running at the same boost level with that set-up that guys got.

there's nothing stock about that guys set-up straub... it's not a comparison to when u got a 100% stock motor versuses a motor with more than well over 5k in machine work invested.

i dont think that is fair to say..here's a race car motor... and this is wut your car will do without a tune....really?

i would make close to 650hp with that guys set-up in my car in v8 trim.... it's not a fair comparison. my car makes 456hp with 11psi cause i got stock e7's with "stock valves", stock pcm, and standard stroke.

if i had that guys set-up i would prolly need a tune too.

again, stock heads..valves.. compression, stock cam, standard stroke. the only thing similar to that guys car and chris' car is the m-90 blower (not even the pulley is the same)...

that's like say'n a 302 and a 347 are the same just cause they share the same block..they are a world apart with different fuel requirements. a 3.8 and 4.2 are not basicaly the same.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
a stroked 3.8 to 4.2... .502 lift cam ... larger valves... chevy valve springs... 10% overdrive pulley. how is that even close to chris' 100% stock set-up? for all intensive purposes that's comparing a race car to a street car. i bet you there's a 40-50hp difference in a stock 3.8 and a stroked out 4.2 running at the same boost level with that set-up that guys got.

there's nothing stock about that guys set-up straub... it's not a comparison to when u got a 100% stock motor versuses a motor with more than well over 5k in machine work invested.

i dont think that is fair to say..here's a race car motor... and this is wut your car will do without a tune....really?

i would make close to 650hp with that guys set-up in my car in v8 trim.... it's not a fair comparison. my car makes 456hp with 11psi cause i got stock e7's with "stock valves", stock pcm, and standard stroke.

if i had that guys set-up i would prolly need a tune too.

again, stock heads..valves.. compression, stock cam, standard stroke. the only thing similar to that guys car and chris' car is the m-90 blower (not even the pulley is the same)...

that's like say'n a 302 and a 347 are the same just cause they share the same block..they are a world apart with different fuel requirements. a 3.8 and 4.2 are not basicaly the same.
OK! OK! OK! I was stupid for even posting that I'm sorry but lets see him install that supercharger then have him post what he came up with. I know for a fact he will need a tune for it to run right because all the guys that i've emailed and talked too had to do the same thing. I'm not saying it won't run but it will have a hard time trying ti idle and will be way under powered at wide open throttle. Will it have more power than a stock 3.8? Most likely yes. But running it like that and running lean at higher rpms will make it run hotter and the boost at 11psi will melt the insides if he isn't careful because they aren't forged even though he is running the same compresstion ratio as the supercoupe "wich is 8.2-8.5 depending on the year"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang