V6 shifts hard after tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #1

Region: Florida
V6 shifts hard after tune

I have a V6 2003 Mustang automatic. Have CAI, true dual Spin Tech Mufflers, 255-40-17 inch wheels, and an SCT tuner. Everything else stock for now. Cleaned throttle body and mass air sensor, new PCV valve, fuel filter, NGK plugs and wires. Took to get tuned yesterday at Blow By Racing here in South Florida. Car runs great, except when taking off, 1st gear revs to 3000-3100 rpms then bucks into 2nd gear. the rest of the shifting is fine, but first to 2nd is really a hard jolt. The guys at Blow By says this is normal after a tune with these mods, and that it is actually good for transmission, because gears to float slowly, and that after some time it will get somewhat better once the computer relearns my driving pattern. Is this true? and what can I do to make it shift a little smoother from 1st to 2nd. I also plan I putting on FRPP 4.10 x 7.5 gears with T -lock later this month. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Vic
vnicastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to JDwoodman
Re: V6 shifts hard after tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnicastro View Post
I have a V6 2003 Mustang automatic. Have CAI, true dual Spin Tech Mufflers, 255-40-17 inch wheels, and an SCT tuner. Everything else stock for now. Cleaned throttle body and mass air sensor, new PCV valve, fuel filter, NGK plugs and wires. Took to get tuned yesterday at Blow By Racing here in South Florida. Car runs great, except when taking off, 1st gear revs to 3000-3100 rpms then bucks into 2nd gear. the rest of the shifting is fine, but first to 2nd is really a hard jolt. The guys at Blow By says this is normal after a tune with these mods, and that it is actually good for transmission, because gears to float slowly, and that after some time it will get somewhat better once the computer relearns my driving pattern. Is this true? and what can I do to make it shift a little smoother from 1st to 2nd. I also plan I putting on FRPP 4.10 x 7.5 gears with T -lock later this month. Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Vic
Did your tune change the rev-limiter?
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

(SOLD)2010-Sterling Gray V6 Pony Package (too many mods to list)
JDwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDwoodman View Post
Did your tune change the rev-limiter?
Thanks for replying. I don't know. Guess I'll have to ask the Guy at Blow By who tuned my car. By the way, when you get a flash tune, does the mechanic/tuner take car for test drive? My Guy took the tuner in his office after he found out what mods I had, went to car to d/l and said my car was ready. Never started it or drove it to see how the tune was. Am I expecting too much? Again thanks in advance, Vic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Was it done with a tuner? If you have a tuner go in to the shift points and adjust the pressure down.

My old 02 auto used to break loose sideways into 2nd at half throttle...had to adjust that sucker down.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Skype™ to JDwoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnicastro View Post
Thanks for replying. I don't know. Guess I'll have to ask the Guy at Blow By who tuned my car. By the way, when you get a flash tune, does the mechanic/tuner take car for test drive? My Guy took the tuner in his office after he found out what mods I had, went to car to d/l and said my car was ready. Never started it or drove it to see how the tune was. Am I expecting too much? Again thanks in advance, Vic.
Well I know when I tuned my 2010 4.0 I altered shift points too high and it would slam me on shifts like your describing. I fixed it by tuning down the shifts.

As for how much service you should have received...idk I ordered my tuner and tuned my car myself. All he really did was download the right files off the internet onto the tuner to make the car adjust for the upgrades so if you paid anything for it go back in and ask him to fix it.
(Current)2012-Black 5.0 Premium Whipple 2.9L Supercharger Stage 2 Kit, ID1000's, JMS BAP, GT500 Six piston Brembo Brakes, Boss 302 front and rear diffusers, GT500 Spoiler, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and Boss 302 oil cooler.

(SOLD)2010-Sterling Gray V6 Pony Package (too many mods to list)
JDwoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

as said adjust the pressure down and it will shift easier
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #7

Well I couldn't wait until Thursday to get the fix for the hard shift from 1st to 2nd. I took to Blow By Racing today, and I have to say Chris who tuned the car and I believe is the owner was more than accomidating. He took my tuner brought me in the office to show me what he was doing, and made the necessary changes. The car runs like a dream. Especially between 50-85 mph. Smooth as silk. 1st gear still has a little bump, but nothing like before. Before it shifted between 3100 -3500 RPM's, now shifts at around 2500-2700 RPM's. When idling wouldn't know car is on if it weren't for the Spin Tech rumble. For those of you in the south Florida area, I highly recommend Blow By Racing in Boca Raton. They are in quite a few Mustang mags for their work in the racing circuit. See Chris, tell him Vic sent you. You will be pleased as I was. Thank you all for your advice, interest, and answers, Vic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang