What tires to buy? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
What tires to buy?

I'm nearing replacement on the OEM Tires. I have the Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires 235-55-17. I've had them on the car since 19K and dislike them greatly.

I know everyone has an opinion on what tires to buy. However, I just want some feedback as to why, or why not kinda thing.

I am considering the Falkeen Ziex ZE-912 tire. Anyone have this tire?

Out of curisoity what tires do you have on your Mustang? and do you like, or dislike them?
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Re: What tires to buy?

i would stay away from falken. i have worked for a few different tire shops in the past and always have had sports cars. im running nitto on my cobra and they are fantastic.
on my truck and my last mustang, i ran toyo which are also great. nitto is the best bang for the buck right now.stay away from falken and hancook for sure. if you want to spend the money, michelin has the best product ive ever dealt with. hope this helps.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

For the past few years we've been running BFG G-force sports on the cars. Wife has them on her GT and I have them on the front of the cobra. Seem to be getting close to 50k out of them and they'll hook her car.

I have BFG KDW2 on the rear of my cobra. Would hook 400hp from a dig and have an awesome design.

Both tires are above par in the rain as well. Even at 500hp I have to make the cobra lose it in the rain (the few times I've been on the tires in the rain).
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack

I have nitto going on my stang now and they seem very good and came highly recommended.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Yokohama AVID TOURING-S 225/60/16 $79.each at tirerack.com is where I bought mine and they are some good tires. Hold up well under allot of wheel spin. "Every time I pull out on the highway I'm spinning my tires"
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman
Yokohama AVID TOURING-S 225/60/16 $79.each at tirerack.com is where I bought mine and they are some good tires. Hold up well under allot of wheel spin. "Every time I pull out on the highway I'm spinning my tires"
Well then they must suck for traction.
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Road Trip!

+1
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Dont think I'm going with a touring tire. Definitly want Ultra High performance as Ford sticks Z rated tires on it from the factory. I love the feedback so far, keep it comming.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Also stay away from khumo. I know cheap priced tires are tempting, but you will regret it later.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
I'd go with the BFG KDWs. They're an awesome tire.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

i have BFG's right now (the fire thread ones) and I like them
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Is that the correct tire size for your vehicle? Just asking. There should be a sticker inside your door jamb that should have a tire size on it.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
Also stay away from khumo. I know cheap priced tires are tempting, but you will regret it later.
I had them on my last Car those didn't even last 20K miles.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Is that the correct tire size for your vehicle? Just asking. There should be a sticker inside your door jamb that should have a tire size on it.
I thought about that for a seccond and double checked just to make sure. It is.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Is it possible to get away with Summer tires down here? The average winter high is in
40's and lows in the low 30's. Much the same as Birmingham. I'm leaning towards all season which the PZero's are.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #16
Road Trip!

That's a messed up tire size. It's a very tall tire. About the tallest passenger car tire you can find and not many cool options. Is your car a gt or v6?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Sorry just answered my own question. If you are just driving it and no racing type of stuff, Michelin hydroedge. About 150 ea from tire rack. I've personally seen these tire go 80k miles and are designed for wet weather. They ride great. Best advice I can give you.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
That's a messed up tire size. It's a very tall tire. About the tallest passenger car tire you can find and not many cool options. Is your car a gt or v6?
V6. Yeah that's what I'm facing right now. It looks like the Pirelli is the only nice tire on this list. Don't think I want to spend money on changing out wheels either. Maybe they changed it. I can't sing it's praisers.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Well then they must suck for traction.
No! I wouldn't suggest the tire if it sucked, I was using the tire spinning as a reference that the tread lasts. I think it stupid to pay $150 each or more for a high speed tire when you never drive the car that fast and they only last 50,000 miles usually. When everybody is spending thier money on 1 set of tires that last 50,000 miles, I'm buying 3 sets for the same price their paying for one that the 1 set will last the same milage. Go ahead waste your money on "high performance" tire that will most likely stick to a hot road but suck in the rain.

But like I've said before this is only my opinion and I and everyone else has different ones. Just price around on different tires and try to get the best deal.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straublittleman

No! I wouldn't suggest the tire if it sucked, I was using the tire spinning as a reference that the tread lasts. I think it stupid to pay $150 each or more for a high speed tire when you never drive the car that fast and they only last 50,000 miles usually. When everybody is spending thier money on 1 set of tires that last 50,000 miles, I'm buying 3 sets for the same price their paying for one that the 1 set will last the same milage. Go ahead waste your money on "high performance" tire that will most likely stick to a hot road but suck in the rain.

But like I've said before this is only my opinion and I and everyone else has different ones. Just price around on different tires and try to get the best deal.
I had the same tires on my car... Wet traction was horrible, traction off the line was adequate considering I have a bone stock 2004 v6, and cornering was pretty bad... They lasted a long time, but they didn't impress me at all. I now have Firehawk wide oval indy500s, and they're a budget performance tire. They're great for the street, good grip around corners. I would like a little more grip off the line, but they're still better than my old ones. And the braking is amazing. Its almost the same feeling braking when it's dry or wet. Moral of the story, just pay the extra $30-$40 a tire. It's worth it.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

I had the same tires on my car... Wet traction was horrible, traction off the line was adequate considering I have a bone stock 2004 v6, and cornering was pretty bad... They lasted a long time, but they didn't impress me at all. I now have Firehawk wide oval indy500s, and they're a budget performance tire. They're great for the street, good grip around corners. I would like a little more grip off the line, but they're still better than my old ones. And the braking is amazing. Its almost the same feeling braking when it's dry or wet. Moral of the story, just pay the extra $30-$40 a tire. It's worth it.
Oh, and they're rated up to 168mph... In case anyone out there cares.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Really?? I don't have a problem with traction even on curvy roads. The only time I can spin the tires is taking off with the pedal smashed as hard as it can go, but it does spin them. When I'm pulling out on the highway i'm usually running at 10-15 MPH and turn the wheel really fast to make the rear lose grip while i'm flooring it.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Please don't give people bad advice like that anymore. When it comes to tires, you do get what you pay for. There are some very good tire brands that are still affordable but you have to know what you are talking about. If you didn't have those cheap tires, you would never be able to spin them. I'll spend $200 a tire easy but I know what it's gonna do for me. Perform. Do some research on tire ratings and quit looking at price tags.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Quote:
Please don't give people bad advice like that anymore. When it comes to tires, you do get what you pay for. There are some very good tire brands that are still affordable but you have to know what you are talking about. If you didn't have those cheap tires, you would never be able to spin them. I'll spend $200 a tire easy but I know what it's gonna do for me. Perform. Do some research on tire ratings and quit looking at price tags.
Well I guess it depends on what he's doing, if he's racing them by all means buy tires that cost $200 each but if he's only driving it around town and back and forth to work. Why buy high performance tires? thats stupid. I can understand if he had a gt that has the HP's to burn the tires off taking off but he has a v6.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Please do a little research before you jump in. The tires he was looking at are only 15 bucks cheaper than the ones I recommended. And it's not a high performance tire but it is one of the best touring tires I've seen and personally used. Buying cheap tires is like buying cheap oil. I was in the tire business a very long time so I know something.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Please do a little research before you jump in. The tires he was looking at are only 15 bucks cheaper than the ones I recommended. And it's not a high performance tire but it is one of the best touring tires I've seen and personally used. Buying cheap tires is like buying cheap oil. I was in the tire business a very long time so I know something.
I'm not saying you don't I was just giving my opinion like he asked everybody for. I think the tires I have are very good for the price and they don't wear off quick like most cheap tires. If I was only looking at pice tags I would buy Douglas tires from Walmart LOL.

What about these tires? Yokohama AVID ENVigor (H&V) rating $125 each for his size at tirerack.com He might be able to find them cheaper.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #27
Road Trip!

Didn't mean to blast at you too hard. Was just trying to help the guy not make a $500+ mistake. No offense.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have falkens on my 6, they grip way better than the bfgs I had on previously. I take corners quite well and don't have to worry about losing traction. You can probably get a better deal on another brand, when I got mine they were cheap, it was black Friday and my friend gave me a extra 20% off.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I got kelly charger gts on my 6 they ride pretty good
DSGstang513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Nittos are great bang for buck
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang