gas mileage - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
gas mileage

Hey guys,
I was just wondering what do you get on average gas mileage. I get about 17-18 and that's if I baby my engine. Thought I would get more but anyone wanna help me with gaining more mpg my dad bought me e3 plugs and I'm putting those in
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
Hey guys,
I was just wondering what do you get on average gas mileage. I get about 17-18 and that's if I baby my engine. Thought I would get more but anyone wanna help me with gaining more mpg my dad bought me e3 plugs and I'm putting those in
I get 18 when I baby my 04 gt also, one of the beat ways for performance and fuel mileage is get Under drive pulleys for about 250$ with new belt and an SCT tuner for 379$... Both will increase performance a little and give you a few extra mpg!...
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
Hey guys,
I get better than that outta my gt.... K clean the air filter,replace fuel filter,new plugs...don't believe the hype on the e3 plugs... NKG will be fine but buy 1 piece plugs. Change the oil and use AMSOIL 5w30 or 0w30 with a quality oil filter. If you are gonna buy Fram use at least the tough guard but the motorcraft ones are quality. I'f you can afford a k&n oil filter buy it or a royal purple one.... 2 stroke oil in the gas will help mileage like 3-4 ounces a tank. Other than that keep your foot out of it
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: gas mileage

Ok, I have to jump in here on Fram.....They suck big donkey balls! I would rather use a Wal-Mart cheapie than one of those! Go with Purolator or Mobil 1 filters! K&N is just really overpriced! I've done my homework on oil filters, and I wouldn't use a Fram on something that I bought just to crash into something else for fun!
Rant over!
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy
Ok, I have to jump in here on Fram.....They suck big donkey balls! I would rather use a Wal-Mart cheapie than one of those! Go with Purolator or Mobil 1 filters! K&N is just really overpriced! I've done my homework on oil filters, and I wouldn't use a Fram on something that I bought just to crash into something else for fun!
Rant over!
K....I agree with ya however the tg aren't to bad. The orange cans suck for sure tho
Old 02-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Rant over!
Haha venting much tonight? Lol
Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Rant over!
I use nothing but amsoil filters and I got a stockpile.... If that tells ya anything....
Old 02-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #8
Road Trip!

What are the bad side effects to mixing 2 stroke oil in gas? And how much does it improve?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #9
Road Trip!

I'm only going to be changing oil on the Cobra once a year, and I do the Mobil 1 with the Mobil 1 filter. Same on the gf's GT. The Contour on the other hand gets off brand oil with a Purolator. To me, oil is oil, but the filter is a different story.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisport View Post
What are the bad side effects to mixing 2 stroke oil in gas? And how much does it improve?
I wouldn't do it.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:49 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatisport
Extra 2 -6mpg or so in my car and truck and you are diluting it so much that I haven't found any bad ones yet. You gotta use good stuff tho. The ashless kind like torco,amsoil,red line. My thoery is that it works like an upper cylinder lube. But don't over do it or it doesn't help at all. Start with like 2 ounces per tank and work your way up til you stop gaining any mileage. It's hard to get an accurate reading because of different driving conditions however I have an 80 mile a day commute so I was lucky to have a consistent drive and no traffic and I found that 4 ounces tops per tank is where I stopped gaining miles per tank. I started at 320 miles per tank and at that concentration I got 380 miles per tank with no driving style change. Same fuel from the same gas station blah blah blah. It works. That's all I know.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:52 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:

I wouldn't do it.
4 ounces in 14 gallons... Barely changes the colour of the gas... What about Lucas upper cylinder lubricant. I read about this in the gas savers forum. Many of them have been doing it with great success for years. It even got my 14 mpg truck up to 18 mpg. The only change was torco. Go check that forum out. They do some amazing stuff...
Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Make sure you have proper air pressure in the tires as well. That will help a little bit. New air filter, fresh tuneup, things like that will net you some mpg's.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:55 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:
I'm only going to be changing oil on the Cobra once a year, and I do the Mobil 1 with the Mobil 1 filter. Same on the gf's GT. The Contour on the other hand gets off brand oil with a Purolator. To me, oil is oil, but the filter is a different story.
Oil is oil.....I will photocopy and send you the info I have on oil. The technology and science that goes into formulating it is very interesting and far more than I could post here. The chemical engineering is amazing. I have to disagree.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:57 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Make sure you have proper air pressure in the tires as well. That will help a little bit. New air filter, fresh tuneup, things like that will net you some mpg's.
Your right there. Air pressure is one of the biggest killers of mpg. That gas savers forum the try out tires with less rolling resistance and over-inflate a couple of pounds to reduce resistance and friction due to less contact on the ground
Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #16
Road Trip!

That oil additive is some crazy ****, how long have you been doing that? And I do a long commute also, 4 times a week I drive 70 miles, 60 extra miles a tank is nice and I suppose it can't really hurt because It just helps lube the engine, I have a yz 250 that's a 2 stroke, I may have to try it out...
Old 02-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Oil is oil.....I will photocopy and send you the info I have on oil. The technology and science that goes into formulating it is very interesting and far more than I could post here. The chemical engineering is amazing. I have to disagree.
Definitely do that, I'm always up for education. I know there is a lot of things that go into synthetic oils, because regular oil was never intended for the purpose of lubricating an engine, and synthetic was engineered in a lab for the very purpose. That is why I changed the Mustangs over.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

Definitely do that, I'm always up for education. I know there is a lot of things that go into synthetic oils, because regular oil was never intended for the purpose of lubricating an engine, and synthetic was engineered in a lab for the very purpose. That is why I changed the Mustangs over.
I will when I send the sticker. Really interesting stuff. I have alot of paperwork on the CAFE laws and fords recommendation of 5w20 in recognition of them...really interesting. I will put together a package for you. In the mustangforums forum there is a guy there named Troy. Goes by unleashed beast. He is as close to an oil expert as I know and he sent me a pile of stuff. Try the bob is the oil guy forum too... They have some enlightening info once you get past the know it all attitudes
Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 AM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
That oil additive is some crazy ****, how long have you been doing that? And I do a long commute also, 4 times a week I drive 70 miles, 60 extra miles a tank is nice and I suppose it can't really hurt because It just helps lube the engine, I have a yz 250 that's a 2 stroke, I may have to try it out...
And it's gotta be premium ashless stuff. The only concern I have is for the 02 sensors but in the small concentration I use it shouldn't be a big deal but better save than sorry. And there is a big write up in the gas savers forum about torco 2 stroke. It causes a chemical reaction that binds the hydrocarbon molecules to create a larger molecule that explodes with more energy thereby getting more mpg because the fuel is actually chemically stronger. Really interesting stuff. Torco synthetic 2 stroke... Try it out. What have you got to lose. And in the gas savers forum they say that the torco can be used 1 ounce per tank to get positive effects
Old 02-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Higher octane fuel will also help mileage because it burns at a slower rate. Something about the flash point being higher I think.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:20 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Higher octane fuel will also help mileage because it burns at a slower rate. Something about the flash point being higher I think.
It's resistance to detonation. Actually believe it or not there is more energy in regular however that is also the reason it detonates. Stoic value
Old 02-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
I think that's just because it helps prevent premature combustion but people will argue this topic all day...
Old 02-12-2011, 02:22 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Quote:

I think that's just because it helps percent premature combustion but people will argue this topic all day...
I think you got er pretty much right
Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Stoic value, that's what I was looking for.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:
Stoic value, that's what I was looking for.
Where was it hiding.... Under the bed...closet maybe
Old 02-12-2011, 02:48 AM   #26
Road Trip!

Hell, I don't know. It was in the last place I looked!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Send a message via Yahoo to 1ijack
Well I was getting 19-20 in my 99 gt but after hearing this I think I going to give it a whirl and do some of my own testing. I will see how Millie handles the change. Keep ya posted.

The Mustang Mafia
"Join the family, if you dare"
www.themustangmafia.com
1ijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:
Hell, I don't know. It was in the last place I looked!
Of course it's in the last place you looked, once you found it why would you keep looking?...
Old 02-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

my baby gets around 17 or 18 also if i baby her
but that doesn't have very often, lol

don't the 2010s or 11s get around 30 or was i just dreaming?
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo1967Mustang
my baby gets around 17 or 18 also if i baby her
but that doesn't have very often, lol

don't the 2010s or 11s get around 30 or was i just dreaming?
Dreaming, for the 5.4 it's 14 city 22 hwy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang