Turbo or Supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #1

Region: Arizona
Turbo or Supercharger

What will be better supercharging my v6 mustang, or putting turbo on it, which is better and cheaper from those 2..
KINGCOBRA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCOBRA01
What will be better supercharging my v6 mustang, or putting turbo on it, which is better and cheaper from those 2..
A centrifugal type supercharger would be cheaper but turbos build a nice flat torque curve. I prefer turbo but they are both awesome. Neither will disappoint you
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #3

Alright thanks,
KINGCOBRA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Super baby power immediatly instead of waiting for your rpms together up for the power and turbos create a ton of heat. But both are great
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
Super baby power immediatly instead of waiting for your rpms together up for the power and turbos create a ton of heat. But both are great
Ummm you got that backwards and they both create gobs of heat
Old 02-17-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGCOBRA01
My vote goes to turbo but that's just me... Once I installed mine I was so happy I spent the money totally worth it
Mustangguy0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Turbo or Supercharger

both are costly, a turbo will give you better results. A turbo will also cost more in the end and I know of no company that is currently making a turbo kit for the V6 Mustang.

For the cash you might can sell your car and buy something else, I am not saying you should... I am just saying its one of the many possible things to consider before spending 5-7k in a supercharger system for your vehicle to end up with 280-300rwhp~

Most set a hp/tq goal that they want, then when they get there... they realize it wasnt enough and want more. They then realize they should have really thought about it before dumping a ton of money into a platform that may not be able to reach their goals.

I am not saying it cant, just saying you need to really think about where you want to end up and if your car gets you there great, if not save up for something else.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Super charger i heard turbo can blow your engine easier than a super charger
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve305
Super charger i heard turbo can blow your engine easier than a super charger
Not quite true. Boost is boost buddy. Improperly tuned will blow a motor regardless. Just cause you "heard" it doesn't make it true.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

a root/twin screw supercharger is about the worst on the motor due to lower end pressure lol
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
both are costly, a turbo will give you better results. A turbo will also cost more in the end and I know of no company that is currently making a turbo kit for the V6 Mustang.

For the cash you might can sell your car and buy something else, I am not saying you should... I am just saying its one of the many possible things to consider before spending 5-7k in a supercharger system for your vehicle to end up with 280-300rwhp~

Most set a hp/tq goal that they want, then when they get there... they realize it wasnt enough and want more. They then realize they should have really thought about it before dumping a ton of money into a platform that may not be able to reach their goals.

I am not saying it cant, just saying you need to really think about where you want to end up and if your car gets you there great, if not save up for something else.
STS makes a remote mount for 05+ as for the earlier models I'm not sure... And yes you can get much more power out of the bigger block however the feeling of beating a v8 with a V6 is priceless and for most younger mustang owners insurance costs are just outrageous
Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I thought STS only made them for the 4.6L not the 4.0L, interesting.

I guess my concern is those that spend 5-10k in building up their V6 to end up with the performance level that is good but not what they wanted. I loved my two previous V6's and modded them but I also realized that even with a supercharger/turbocharger they still wouldnt get me where I wanted to be at while maintaining some value in the car as well as being reliable overall.

Just items to think about. Sometimes its best to save up for something else and sometimes its good to mod what you have. Its just choices you have to sit back and think about. Mods down the road wont increase the cars value so another thing to worry about.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I thought STS only made them for the 4.6L not the 4.0L, interesting.

I guess my concern is those that spend 5-10k in building up their V6 to end up with the performance level that is good but not what they wanted. I loved my two previous V6's and modded them but I also realized that even with a supercharger/turbocharger they still wouldnt get me where I wanted to be at while maintaining some value in the car as well as being reliable overall.

Just items to think about. Sometimes its best to save up for something else and sometimes its good to mod what you have. Its just choices you have to sit back and think about. Mods down the road wont increase the cars value so another thing to worry about.
Yea they make the twin and single for the GT but only the single for the V6 for obvious reasons... That's what I have and I love it.... Wasn't about to spend 5k on it tho I found it on craigslist for 2k and bargained it down to 700 and an iPod and Xbox 360 lol hell of a deal if u ask me... It's all about finding the right buyer... But I don't plan on selling my baby
Old 02-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Super definetly has instant power. You have to wait for the turbo to kick in because it runs of an air pump in the exhaust. Because of that it creates a ton of heat. Don't get me wrong both are good but gas engines aren't made to be hot. Turbos originally were introduced in diesels because diesels engines thrive on heat. Supers were also on diesels but they don't make as much heat as a turbo. Either way you'll be paying a ton for either and maintenance is going to be a pain
306 H/C/I, holley 4 barrel, T5, Hurst Shifter, Subframe connectors, 8.8 w/ 3.55 posi, 4 piston front disc brakes, SN95 rear disc brakes, shelby drop, 620 springs, Mideye 4.5 Leaf Springs, bilstein shocks.
austinknoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinknoll
Super definetly has instant power. You have to wait for the turbo to kick in because it runs of an air pump in the exhaust. Because of that it creates a ton of heat. Don't get me wrong both are good but gas engines aren't made to be hot. Turbos originally were introduced in diesels because diesels engines thrive on heat. Supers were also on diesels but they don't make as much heat as a turbo. Either way you'll be paying a ton for either and maintenance is going to be a pain
I am pretty sure a turbo gets into boost quicker than a centri. A twin screw gets there about the same. So far the only posts that don't fail are spectors. The rest are not quite there. Op follow spectors advice or contact svtlx. He knows what he is talking about
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

I am pretty sure a turbo gets into boost quicker than a centri. A twin screw gets there about the same. So far the only posts that don't fail are spectors. The rest are not quite there. Op follow spectors advice or contact svtlx. He knows what he is talking about
Turbos do have lag but different set ups kick in at different Rpms.... Mines a rear mount and kicks in right around 2500 to 3000 but that's when u need that extra power so not real sure y people take it so negatively
Old 02-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

turbo's have came a long way in their design, there is not nearly the lag they used to have.

A root style or positive displacment blower makes the most power early on compared to a centri or turbo style power adder. My car makes tons of tq by 2500 rpms for example and maintains it mostly all the way till the end of the dyno run (link in sig)
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
turbo's have came a long way in their design, there is not nearly the lag they used to have.

A root style or positive displacment blower makes the most power early on compared to a centri or turbo style power adder. My car makes tons of tq by 2500 rpms for example and maintains it mostly all the way till the end of the dyno run (link in sig)
See. That's good info and speaking from experience.... Not what he "heard"
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

See. That's good info and speaking from experience.... Not what he "heard"
I'm startin to think u have a man crush on Spector lol jus sayin
Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202

I'm startin to think u have a man crush on Spector lol jus sayin
He knows what he is talking about more often than not and I don't want to see a member led down the wrong path by guys who are mistaken. And well I "heard" he was cute. Hehehe
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He knows what he is talking about more often than not and I don't want to see a member led down the wrong path by guys who are mistaken. And well I "heard" he was cute. Hehehe
Yea he's given me great information as well... Haha nice
Old 02-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Not quite true. Boost is boost buddy. Improperly tuned will blow a motor regardless. Just cause you "heard" it doesn't make it true.
I never said it was true but the ppl that told me this know there **** but I like the sound of the super charger better. And when u say turbo most people think of Japanese cars . I just heard that turbo is more pain in the ***
BigSteve305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSteve305

I never said it was true but the ppl that told me this know there **** but I like the sound of the super charger better. And when u say turbo most people think of Japanese cars . I just heard that turbo is more pain in the ***
I installed my turbo myself and it was a pain in the *** but mine was a rear mount so it was mainly all the piping... But afterwards I haven't had a problem what so ever
Old 02-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #24
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

y is it that ppl that dont own a boosted vehicle seem to know the most about boosted vehicles?

the "Roots Brothers" patented the "bi-rotor gear pump" in 1860 and was originaly intended as a "driving water wheel"..which sucked as a water mover, but they later found out it worked great for moving large amounts of air at low speeds. and was then used as a "blast furnace blower in foundries". the first recorded use of a centrifugal blower on a car was in 1907 by a guy named Lee Chadwick of Pottstown, PA.

and then later "GMC Detroit Diesel" did more development on the roots blower for diesel engines...from their it moved to racing..and then widespread blah blah blah...

there's some other crap im forgeting with centrigals in the 1920's but i dont think anyone cares.

im not a turbo guy, but i know if you size the turbo correctly for the motor there's not really any real waiting.

a supercharger cost less in initial cost... but the turbo makes good overall power.

i know that 500hp can be had from a 3.8 but are you willing to spend it to get there? like spector said, there are other cars to buy. it will cost way...way.. more to make really good hp with that platform.

listen to specterv.

you are all welcome for the history lesson noone asked for...just needed to get rid of sum useless info in my head...lol.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #25
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangguy0202 View Post
I installed my turbo myself and it was a pain in the *** but mine was a rear mount so it was mainly all the piping... But afterwards I haven't had a problem what so ever
id like to see that set-up i bet its awsome... ive only seen the rear mount on the vettes..

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

id like to see that set-up i bet its awsome... ive only seen the rear mount on the vettes..
Yea i love it my only problem is the fact that it replaces my muffler it can be heard from far away no good for being a sleeper. can't really surprise anyone unless I'm extremely easy on the throttle an I tend to have a problem with that ha.... I turn heads everywhere I go with that whistle... STSturbo.com has all the info needed on them... I've got some pics of it on my car but their kinda hard to follow with it running all through out the car lol
Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #27
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i know how much sts stuff cost...im not hardle in the market... besides i got a blower. i got tons of honda buddies that would kill me if i didnt let them set-up my turbo for half the price...lol.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i know how much sts stuff cost...im not hardle in the market... besides i got a blower. i got tons of honda buddies that would kill me if i didnt let them set-up my turbo for half the price...lol.
Haha which is y I bought it off a guy for 700 he was trading his car in for an 11
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
y is it that ppl that dont own a boosted vehicle seem to know the most about boosted vehicles?

the "Roots Brothers" patented the "bi-rotor gear pump" in 1860 and was originaly intended as a "driving water wheel"..which sucked as a water mover, but they later found out it worked great for moving large amounts of air at low speeds. and was then used as a "blast furnace blower in foundries". the first recorded use of a centrifugal blower on a car was in 1907 by a guy named Lee Chadwick of Pottstown, PA.

and then later "GMC Detroit Diesel" did more development on the roots blower for diesel engines...from their it moved to racing..and then widespread blah blah blah...

there's some other crap im forgeting with centrigals in the 1920's but i dont think anyone cares.

im not a turbo guy, but i know if you size the turbo correctly for the motor there's not really any real waiting.

a supercharger cost less in initial cost... but the turbo makes good overall power.

i know that 500hp can be had from a 3.8 but are you willing to spend it to get there? like spector said, there are other cars to buy. it will cost way...way.. more to make really good hp with that platform.

listen to specterv.

you are all welcome for the history lesson noone asked for...just needed to get rid of sum useless info in my head...lol.
Now that is interesting info
Old 02-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:

Now that is interesting info
Indeed sir
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Quote:

+1 swat team is here homie lol
Ducatisport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

The biggest issue I have with roots styled blowers on any cars is the amount of heat they produce. The eaton (also known as the heaton) creates gobs of heat because it is basically a big pump...it just forces air in. There are two 3 lobe rotors in a traditional roots that increase the air charge temperature.

The twin screw designs like whipple and KB are better with heating issues as they are designed to compress the air. The rotors are machined to extremely tight tolerances and are male and female traveling in opposite directions trapping the air and compressing it all while maintaining a lower air charge temp. They are known to have a flatter power curve, as to where the power doesn't continue to climb in the higher rpm's.

Turbos have been known for their lag when compared to positive displacement superchargers, but they have gotten much better with the current technology.

Positive Displacement Superchargers might create power sooner, but turbos create more power overall (in regards to v6's). Centrifugal Superchargers like Vortech and ProCharger are another option. They probably have the same amount of lag as the more recently engineered turbos and are fairly user friendly when compared to P.D. superchargers. (regarding n/a cars). Belt driven, flexible power adjustments thru impeller swaps, and often air cooled, but generally they don't create power in the lower rpms like the roots/twin screw.

I say for the v6, a centri style supercharger or turbo are the better choices. Roots styled blowers require a ton of fabbing and addition parts to make them work.

But in the end, you're looking at 300rwhp for thousands of dollars and a significant amount of time. Might be better off buying a 5.0 fox body or 4v modular v8. Not saying you should just go and sell your v6, but the power is more easily achieved with a different platform.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Where could you get a supercharger for a 2000 v6 mustang? Bc I heard they were discontinued.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03
The biggest issue I have with roots styled blowers on any cars is the amount of heat they produce. The eaton (also known as the heaton) creates gobs of heat because it is basically a big pump...it just forces air in. There are two 3 lobe rotors in a traditional roots that increase the air charge temperature.

The twin screw designs like whipple and KB are better with heating issues as they are designed to compress the air. The rotors are machined to extremely tight tolerances and are male and female traveling in opposite directions trapping the air and compressing it all while maintaining a lower air charge temp. They are known to have a flatter power curve, as to where the power doesn't continue to climb in the higher rpm's.

Turbos have been known for their lag when compared to positive displacement superchargers, but they have gotten much better with the current technology.

Positive Displacement Superchargers might create power sooner, but turbos create more power overall (in regards to v6's). Centrifugal Superchargers like Vortech and ProCharger are another option. They probably have the same amount of lag as the more recently engineered turbos and are fairly user friendly when compared to P.D. superchargers. (regarding n/a cars). Belt driven, flexible power adjustments thru impeller swaps, and often air cooled, but generally they don't create power in the lower rpms like the roots/twin screw.

I say for the v6, a centri style supercharger or turbo are the better choices. Roots styled blowers require a ton of fabbing and addition parts to make them work.

But in the end, you're looking at 300rwhp for thousands of dollars and a significant amount of time. Might be better off buying a 5.0 fox body or 4v modular v8. Not saying you should just go and sell your v6, but the power is more easily achieved with a different platform.
This should be a sticky
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302
Turbo all the way if you can afford it. A blower will be harder on the engine to make the same power, given that all other variables are equal. This is inherently true due to the parasitic nature of blowers when compared to turbos. You will have to run more boost with a blower to achieve the same RWHP and torque.

Plus as stated before, turbos generally have a better torque curve than centrifugal blowers. Positive displacement blowers definitely solve this problem. Only problem with them is they don't make quite as much power at higher RPMs.

If cost isn't an option, turbo is the way to go IMHO. As soon as you factor in cost, things can quickly change. They are generally more expensive as they aren't generally as mass produced as blower kits for Mustangs. Their popularity has definitely grown in recent years though.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang