v6 exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
v6 exhaust

I'm planning on getting long tube headers. Will a stock gt takeoff h pipe work with this?
NeedSomeMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
I don't think so. Depends on the manufacturer however i think you will have to cut and weld to keep the h pipe
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: v6 exhaust

So, say I get the MAC long tube headers. Do I just drive up to an exhaust shop with it and have them custom make pipes or should I get other things first?

PS I have to pass emissions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
So, say I get the MAC long tube headers. Do I just drive up to an exhaust shop with it and have them custom make pipes or should I get other things first?

PS I have to pass emissions.
If you have emissions I suggest having 2 exhausts. Keep the stocker for sniffer days then have a balls out performance one. Jmo
Old 02-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

GO with a mac o/r H pipe....or any exhaust shop can fabricate u a custom H pipe...ofcourse go with the MAC long tubes....then some flows...with some 2.5 tips....then youll sound like sex..its a beautiful thang
04' mustang 3.9 40th Anniversary Edition- (V2 Vortech Supercharger, 38# injectors, 3.73 gears w/ T-lok, Predator Diablo, Mac cold air intake, Port & polished upper AND lower intake manifold, Mac Long Tube Headers, Mac o/r H pipe, flowmasters, 2.5 flowmaster tips)

03' Mustang GT (20" Cobra R's, 40 series Flowmasters)
Zebs5408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Go with BORLA catback. Thats what I have. Sounds amazing.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I have this page bookmarked so I can always look back when the time comes. If sound was not a factor at all, what do you think would be best setup for performance?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I have this page bookmarked so I can always look back when the time comes. If sound was not a factor at all, what do you think would be best setup for performance?
Any off-road system will provide the best gains. But won't be legal
Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
I gotta question and I'm not trying to bash the sixers. Why are there so many people modding their sixers? I've seen some serious money being spent on them. Maybe insurance is too much on gt's. I doubt if gas mileage is the issue. Just wondering. Not meant to offend.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra View Post
I gotta question and I'm not trying to bash the sixers. Why are there so many people modding their sixers? I've seen some serious money being spent on them. Maybe insurance is too much on gt's. I doubt if gas mileage is the issue. Just wondering. Not meant to offend.
I have one theory. When I was young, I had to make do with what I had. I remember when the mod bug first bit me. I had an '88 Honda Accord. Now, granted, it was a ricer, it was what I had at the moment.
I loved my car, and wanted to go fast, but couldn't afford to get anything else at the time. I bought an NX wet kit, and had some fun with a 75 shot. The thing surprised a lot of people too.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
Road Trip!

Yeah. Some of these are their first car. Understood. But to buy a six with intentions to build it. I can only guess insurance reasons. IDK. my first car was a 68' 289 coupe. I've owned only one car that wasn't a v8 and I had it for 4 months and went back to v8's. That's just me though.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Yeah. Some of these are their first car. Understood. But to buy a six with intentions to build it. I can only guess insurance reasons. IDK. my first car was a 68' 289 coupe. I've owned only one car that wasn't a v8 and I had it for 4 months and went back to v8's. That's just me though.
Ditto. I don't give a **** about gas. I want rubber ripping power.... But hey. If it wasn't for the sixxer the mustang woulda died the camaros death. The sixxer market is huge and what keeps the mustang going. I personally would never buy one but that's just me
Old 02-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Ditto. I don't give a **** about gas. I want rubber ripping power.... But hey. If it wasn't for the sixxer the mustang woulda died the camaros death. The sixxer market is huge and what keeps the mustang going. I personally would never buy one but that's just me
Same here, it all goes out the tailpipes anyway. I'd like to be able to have it go out in style and speed! I didn't buy any Mustang I've ever owned for mileage! If I wanted good mileage I would buy a hybrid! We still have plenty of petrol left for my lifetime and I'm going to burn as much as I can before I die. **** the future, lol!
Old 02-20-2011, 01:54 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Yeah. I was just curious to see what the sixer guys had to say about it. Don't make sense to me but there's a lot of things that don't make sense to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:55 AM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93CobraGuy

Same here, it all goes out the tailpipes anyway. I'd like to be able to have it go out in style and speed! I didn't buy any Mustang I've ever owned for mileage! If I wanted good mileage I would buy a hybrid! We still have plenty of petrol left for my lifetime and I'm going to burn as much as I can before I die. **** the future, lol!
The way I see it I am helping society find alternative energy sources faster. Helping the world go green by burning it all
Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 AM   #16
Road Trip!

I'm surrounded by refineries around here. Keep our economy strong. We didn't take that big economy hit down here because of all the industry here.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My first car was a 2000 Mustang with a V6. I learned how to change oil, spark plugs, tires, and just other basic maintenance stuff. I really grew attached to the car and everything about it.
After 215K miles (it was passed down to me at 175K, with several existing problems) the motor threw a rod straight through the block. I didn't have the money to get a new motor and have it installed so i got set up on a payment plan to buy my mother's 1994 Mustang (also with a v6).
With the 1994 I'm driving and the memories of the 2000, I've just really grown a great appreciation for all Mustangs, even the underpowered yet underrated V6s.
Might as well work with what I got
Old 02-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #18
Road Trip!

A mustang is a mustang. The panties still drop in the back seat bro.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hell yeah. Established that fact im mine and it's a 6er. Mustang FTW
bobbytheapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 AM   #20
Road Trip!

That's why I sidetracked this thread. Just wanted to know what the v6 guys had to say about it. Just the reasoning for the six other than the 8.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:03 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
That's why I sidetracked this thread. Just wanted to know what the v6 guys had to say about it. Just the reasoning for the six other than the 8.
A valid reason to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But my reason for having a v6 us insurance i would rather have a GT honestly.
bobbytheapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Alright guys, lets stay on topic...the OP's question was about long tube headers. Let's not go into that "why buy a v6" stuff and have people get offended and arguments erupt.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

To the OP...

You can certainly get long tube headers but you will need an aftermarket midpipe or have a shop fab up some piping. If you want to stay emissions legal, you'll need to keep your catalytic converters. You can either buy a catted midpipe from MAC that will fit the MAC long tube headers, or have a shop fab up piping from the headers to the stock cats and then to the rest of your piping.

With cats and long tubes, you will have a deeper tone, but will be quieter than with an off road pipe. But that isn't always a bad thing, v6's that are mellow with a crisp tone sound better imo.

Everett had a good idea as well. Keep a stock setup with cats you can bolt up for emission inspections, and leave your "illegal" setup on for show and go

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #25
Road Trip!

I have a cold air intake on a v6 mustang as an only upgrade, 2000 modle by the way. In idle my car sounds like it's gasping for air or its too much air going in not enough going out, if I get dual exhaust, will this rough idle go away? And I'm buying off road x pipe dual exhaust brand name Pypes.
Blackedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout
I have a cold air intake on a v6 mustang as an only upgrade, 2000 modle by the way. In idle my car sounds like it's gasping for air or its too much air going in not enough going out, if I get dual exhaust, will this rough idle go away? And I'm buying off road x pipe dual exhaust brand name Pypes.
A cai isn't a great asset on a new edge. Your prolly missing the metal screen that was originally inside so the air that's passing the maf is turbulent and the fuel mixture isn't accurate.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

A cai isn't a great asset on a new edge. Your prolly missing the metal screen that was originally inside so the air that's passing the maf is turbulent and the fuel mixture isn't accurate.
So probably should get a new maf ?
Old 02-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
Road Trip!

Quote:

So probably should get a new maf ?
See if there is an aftermarket upgrade housing. Mac makes em for v8's for sure. You can use your stock element.
Yep just checked. $149 mass air meter and calibration tube.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Alright thanks. Bc rough idle sucks its not that bad but ever so often it does idle rough and I was thinking mostly bc too much air was going in and not enough out there fore put the dual exhaust. I am putting those exhaust on and get a new maf. Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM   #30
Road Trip!

Check in your maf housing. Is there a screen present. If not that may cause a surging idle. Ford put in a metal screen just before the maf to reduce the turbulence as it passed in front of it so it can properly meter the fuel. The o2 sensors will sense the exhaust gases aren't right and will compensate by adding or reducing fuel which can cause your problem. Some cars were sensitive to this while others operate fine without it. Or your maf could be done. Is there a cel. Get a code for us if it does. Start there and get back to us
Old 02-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #31
Road Trip!

Alright I looked on YouTube how to instal the cai. When they attached the mass air flow they didn't put the screen on so that's why I left it out. The screen piece was a round piece and they left it out. Is this the peice your talking about?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah. I was just curious to see what the sixer guys had to say about it. Don't make sense to me but there's a lot of things that don't make sense to me.
It's also kinda cool to see a sixxer smash a gt. Rare but really cool. It seems to be a hobby to fix up a sixxer. It's my first car and I don't have money for a gt. That's my reason
Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett
A mustang is a mustang. The panties still drop in the back seat bro.
Hell yes they do. Haha
Old 02-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
Alright I looked on YouTube how to instal the cai. When they attached the mass air flow they didn't put the screen on so that's why I left it out. The screen piece was a round piece and they left it out. Is this the peice your talking about?
Yup that was it. I had to put in my cai because my car would throw a cel. If I took it out right now within 30 miles it would come on. Not all cars are sensitive to that piece being gone. Mine is.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Funny thing how all cars are different...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Pre-2005 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust